Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Annoying throttle problems...

The electronic throttle system on the Yaris is crap giving every one all manner of problems, i had a problem on my 08 sedan 5 speed.
The check engine light would come on and the car would all of a sudden loose throttle response, the car would go to idle and stay there until i turned the engine off then on again. this would happen at any time whether cruising down the highway at speed or pulling away from a stop.
Dealer seemed to be familiar with the problem and replaced a bunch of wires around the front of the engine and the problem hasnt returned in over a year.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Calling it crap is a little harsh.

I haven't had any issues and I also haven't heard many complaints either.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
jambo101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
Calling it crap is a little harsh.

I haven't had any issues and I also haven't heard many complaints either.
Guess you havent talked to the millions of owners who had their car recalled for throttle related problems,If or when you have a throttle related problem you may view that stupid system with a little more vehemence.Not looking forward to total fly by wire steering..
Doing a search on "Throttle problems" comes up with some sobering threads
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sea...earchid=991772
Old 08-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
sleey0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Guess you havent talked to the millions of owners who had their car recalled for throttle related problems,If or when you have a throttle related problem you may view that stupid system with a little more vehemence.Not looking forward to total fly by wire steering..
Doing a search on "Throttle problems" comes up with some sobering threads
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sea...earchid=991772
Millions? I'd like to see some data on that, if you could provide it.

I don't necessarily like the DBW but it isn't crap either. It is actually pretty advanced if you think about it.

Maybe the manual Yarii don't have the issue as prominent as the auto. It's funny becuase when I was reveiwing cars to purchase most of the reviews stated that the auto Yaris had lag while the manual had very minimal lag.

So, please let me see the "millions" of people that have this issue pertaining to the Yaris .

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
jambo101

8 million+ recalls

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/04/auto..._recall_total/

Sorry about the no matches post before, forgot to verify the url it was very similar to this one = http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...26322d06cf3f75

Its also sounding like the op is experiencing more than just a brief throttle lag..
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Castaway

Drives: 2008 Yaris hb 2d
@ jambon: from the link you provided: "The 8.1 million figure includes a total of 5.8 million vehicles recalled, around the world, for an issue in which accelerator pedals could become stuck in floor mats.

A total of 4.5 million vehicles, worldwide, are being recalled for a problem in which gas pedals, as they wear, can become sticky and not come all the way back up when the driver takes his foot off the pedal."

And from toyota's website (link found among your search's results) "No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by this recall action. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and Highlander hybrids and Camry hybrids. Further, Camry, RAV4, Corolla and Highlander vehicles with VINs that begin with "J" are not affected by the sticky accelerator pedal recall."

So, where are all the Yarises recalled for DBW problems?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
sleey0

Yeah, just because he had the issue then it was labeled a massive problem with all Toyotas. Those recalls were for a completely different issue lol.

I know the feeling when something doesn't work as it should, especially something on a CAR that costs lots of $$$, but it still isn't crap in my book, at least. :D
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
no car should have those issues no matter what the price . TOYOTA wanted to surpass G.M. , did so , and took G.M.s spot for poor dependability . Well done TOYOTA . You just lost another long time buyer ( fan ) and plan to tell others to stay away .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Spare me... I don't like DBW either, and I hate the counterweight instead of a spring for throttle return even more.

That being said, I have absolute confidence in my Yaris. I see many other new vehicles on decks heading for the dealer than I do Toyotas. I also recommend Yaris to anyone who is looking into a new vehicle, simply because they are reliable.

Hershey is entitled to his opinion. However, I worked for GM many years ago, and to this day I refuse to even consider a GM product in any range. They were building crap back then, and they are still trying to build cars to compete with Toyota, unsuccessfully IMHO.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
we have a 2008 (< 24,000 mis. ) and 2010 ( < 9,500 mis. ) YARISes that leak oil from the no.1 head cylinder gasket . The '08 goes in next week for gasket replacement . The '10 may follow depending on how the fix goes at that shop . How's that for being dependable ? Maybe TOYOTA knows of this issue and hasn't made it public as of yet . Sorry , but not that thrilled with TOYOTA at this time .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #11
sleey0

Again, this is all personal.

You have had a bad experience and will state, until you are blue in the face, that Toyo's are not reliable.

While the rest of the millions of folks who don't run into any issues will swear by them.

This is the nature of ALL things consumers purchase. Whether a car, laptop, whatever. Some have zero issues while others are unlucky and don't get quite the same experience.

Me?

I just love Jap cars period. Still have a 1997 Maxima that runs great and is leaking stuff all over the place. lol All I do is put oil in every other month and off she goes. Still runs the same smoothness as when she was new:D
Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
jambo101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
Again, this is all personal.

You have had a bad experience and will state, until you are blue in the face, that Toyo's are not reliable.
I never said Toyotas were unreliable i just got a problem with their electronic gas pedal and so do the 5 other guys who own a Yaris in the factory i work at,we've all had our cars into the dealer for gas pedal related problems, its unfortunate that a lot of people are questioning Toyotas reliability over this one issue,even the best of cars have a glitch in the system once in a while.
I will continue to buy Toyotas as i find them miles above a similar style American product when it comes to reliability,quality,and resale value.