Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 AM   #37
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I was checking my car's wiring and it has the wire and plug for each fog lamp in the front. It does not have the relay and ovbiously not the stalk. So, all I have to do is change the stalk, plug the relay and install the fog lamps?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #38
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
I was checking my car's wiring and it has the wire and plug for each fog lamp in the front. It does not have the relay and ovbiously not the stalk. So, all I have to do is change the stalk, plug the relay and install the fog lamps?
Theoretically that is correct. Was your car a Japanese market Vitz?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #39
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
I purchased it in Panama, AFAIK it is labeled by Toyota as general market, but it shares several parts. The stalk, for example, is the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #40
ruslanus

Drives: 2012 Yaris
The link is not working
ruslanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanus View Post
The link is not working
Correct. Unfortunately Micro Image has closed its doors. I am not aware of another plug and play aftermarket fog light kit for the Yaris.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #42
Gadget296

Drives: Yaris 2012 sedan 4 doors
Hello guys I'm new here I'm looking the fog light on eBay but I got confuse because I don't know which one should I get when I type my model which is Yaris 2012 sedan 4 dr. It shows fog light sedan 2006-2011 the other one says fog light for Yaris 2/5 dr hatch 2012-2015
I can easily pick the 2012 but I have the 4 dr sedan.
Gadget296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget296 View Post
Hello guys I'm new here I'm looking the fog light on eBay but I got confuse because I don't know which one should I get when I type my model which is Yaris 2012 sedan 4 dr. It shows fog light sedan 2006-2011 the other one says fog light for Yaris 2/5 dr hatch 2012-2015
I can easily pick the 2012 but I have the 4 dr sedan.
Sedans did not change in 2012, as liftbacks did, so your car is the same as a 06-11 Sedan.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #44
ercdvs

Drives: 2010 Yaris
CTScott are there still no good options for fog lights off the shelf (2010 hatchback) or is everything a piece together parts list ?
ercdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #45
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post
CTScott are there still no good options for fog lights off the shelf (2010 hatchback) or is everything a piece together parts list ?
I have not seen any good complete kits since MicroImage closed. I used to build the plug and play harnesses for them and can modify the crappy kits into the equivalent.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #46
ercdvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have not seen any good complete kits since MicroImage closed. I used to build the plug and play harnesses for them and can modify the crappy kits into the equivalent.
Was this plug n play solely for the benefit of connecting to a fog enabled stalk, or was the use of the switch in between the seats more straightforward ?

Based on the wiring diagragm and parts I was looking at, it looks to be a simpler install so long as i wire to the relay properly.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #47
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post
Was this plug n play solely for the benefit of connecting to a fog enabled stalk, or was the use of the switch in between the seats more straightforward ?

Based on the wiring diagragm and parts I was looking at, it looks to be a simpler install so long as i wire to the relay properly.
The purpose of the plug and play kit was to take advantage of the wiring that already goes through the firewall for fog lights.

The aftermarket kits are not actually designed for the car. There was a DIY on here about using the aftermarket kits with the OEM wiring, but the internal circuitry of the switch included with the kit bridges the switching and the illumination circuits together. Also the relay included with most aftermarket kits is garbage and many who have used it have eventually had it internally fail and melt its plastic case.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #48
ercdvs

I disassembled my eBay harness, bought the proper relay, and have everything wired inside the car (using switch) and got everything under the hood wired up.

Relay clicks, and one fog lights up pretty weakly. I believe I traced it to the connection to the under hood fuse panel, I don't think my wires are reaching the pins fully. I bought the pins below thinking they were the right kind, but they do not go all the way into the plug. Are these correct, or an I missing some trick to 'insert wire'?

Edit: connection might be good, as I tried it without the plug and touched the pins directly. Still one light on weak and the other off. Either bad lights or I need to have a dedicated wire to each, as they are spliced further down.

Odd I would expect both to be on weakly in that case

Last edited by ercdvs; 04-22-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #49
ironarmscott

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
UNLESS it's a 2012, which are prewired.
is there a install diagram for the 2012 fogs I see all the connectors up front is it plug and play or more to it
ironarmscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #50
Toyotaforlife

Drives: 09 yaris sedan Barcelona Red
Hey, just bought a nearly new 09 yaris sedan. Wondering if these look good to you? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...F7G43XA2&psc=1
Toyotaforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #51
Ranger SVO

I just bought THIS kit on Amazon.

It seems decent and I will be wiring similar to a factory set up. I just made a minor mod to the wiring that came with the lights. The power wire to both lights were spliced together, I cut the splice so that each light is independent of the other. The two wires will be plugged into the underhood fuse panel.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #52
Ranger SVO

OK many aftermarket Fog Light Kits will work with the factory wiring. A few things need to be fixed in the kit I used.

1. The wiring from the right fog light ties into the left. I separated the wires so that each light has its own wires.

2. The Toyota relay is not necessary. A Denso 567-0001 relay is readily available and inexpensive and WILL work.

3. In the directions found here, the aftermarket switch MUST be modified to work with the factory wiring. Simply remove the resistor indicated in the directions. Also in my kit, two of the switch wires were tied together. I separated them. One pair to lighting, the other pair to the headlight switch wiring.

4. The wires to plug into the outside fuse block, any reputable car audio shop can make the ends with the right connector on it.

Fog Lights I used worked perfectly.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #53
Ranger SVO

OK I want to finish this up.

The wires to plug into the outside fuse block, any reputable car audio shop can make the ends with the right connector on it. In fact, for the two wires with the ends crimped on them was a total of $4.76.

The owner was intrigued. In exchange for explaining exactly what I had done, he loaned me a portable soldering iron, gave me a couple pieces of heat shrink and let me finish it there in his parking lot.

Anyway its finished and it works

Giordano Bruno
Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #54
soldiersvejk

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Very informative! Thank you very much.
soldiersvejk is offline   Reply With Quote