Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
OblivionCore
I've made a post!

Drives: 2005 Echo Hatch 5spd
2005 Echo stutters, stalls, hard start

Hello everyone.
I searched the forum for something that might be the same or similar to what I am going through.

I apologize ahead of time I tend to be long winded but i will try to keep it on task.

I have an 05 Echo hatch with the 1.5 5spd. In the summer when gas would get low (2 bars on the digital gauge) it would start to run rough like it was running out of gas but still had fuel in the tank. I happened on the way to work one day as I was getting into the parking lot, I didnt think it would have enough to even get into a parking spot but I made it. Came out a couple hours later and it started and ran just fine. Put more gas in and ready to go. I just made sure it didnt get that low anymore. Then this winter came. We had a really cold night, temps dropped to about -30 with the wind chil. Car ran for maybe 2 min. Then died like it ran out of gas, at this point I had over half a tank. Figured it froze, methyl hydrate 10 min later it started and ran but ran like crud. Low RPMS up to and a little over 2000 were brutal, stuttering like it had a miss, then it did, codes thrown had multiple miss fire on all cyl. Got it in the garage, plugs are fine, no water or dampness around the coil boot or connector, compression fine, pcv fine, air filter good, fuel pressure looked good. Cleaned the maf, tps battery posts and throttle body. Issue was still present. Changed out the fuel pump - Issue resolved YAYYY!!!! Fast forward a couple of months, another cold snap, this not not as bad but bad enough temp dropped to about -23-24. I got quite a bit further this time then the exact same thing happened. Car shut down, no power. Could not bring the rpms up. Dead on the side of the road again. More methyl hydrate - 5 min later running again - again like crap but running. Got to the gas station - near filled the tank. Still an issue. Next day, started up fine. Thought it was over and done with. NOW. the car runs fine cold. As soon as it warms up it starts acting up, but not all the time. It feels like a coil issue but my coil issues in the past were constant and not intermittent. Its like it has a fit now and then just like it did in the summer when the tank was low, but has lots of fuel in the tank. This is driving me nuts cause I cant figure it out or wrap my head around what could be causing it. Please someone anyone, have any idea on wtf is going on here lol.

Thanks in advance.

PS remember I apologized before i started lol
OblivionCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Any codes? Might need to have it scanned for data, something like a faulty coolant temp sensor or fickle maf sensor is hard to figure out. A good fuel pressure reading too.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Could be a bad crank sensor?
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Check battery/alternator for free at parts source
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Kind of sounds like a fuel filter clogged to me.. runs a bit, then fuel pump can't get enough suction. Found this thred: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32870 with some details about replacing if you go down that route.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!
-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
At one point, when cars give troubles that can't be found why. It's about time to give it up.

Friends was frying multiple alternators. Lasts about a month or 2 then dies again.. new, rebuilt, all the same so he just replaced btue car.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk