Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Links, Boots and Pins - Finding the Clunk (LONG)

This month's project...find the front end clinking/clunking/rattling and eradicate it...

For the past few weeks I have been experiencing unwanted noise from the front end, basically when I drove over cracks in the road and small bumps. I had the car up on the hoist and checked every conceivable fastening point, bushing. EVERYTHING was as tight as could be with the exception of what seemed to be slightly loose calipers.

I took the car to a local shop and they said they weren't sure but recommended end links. I explained that I thought it might be the brake calipers rattling and being amplified through the body. They said "No way, wouldn't make that noise" and this after they did a road test. So, new end links installed and guess what? No change in noise. When the shop was cutting off my old end links, they burned a hole in my passenger side CV boot. I didn't bother going back as I'm sure I would have been charged to have that replaced too, so I ordered a boot locally and another shop put it on. The second shop only charged $30.00 to install the boot. It is not like me to farm out jobs like this normally but I just wasn't feeling like wrenching this time around. Nor did I feel like waiting for another order from rockauto.

We had the perfect day for testing my brake theory. We had about 1.5 inches of ice on the roads and the salt trucks turned the roads into washboards. I could drive along with all the clattering, clanking, touch the brake pedal and the noise would go away. So, I removed the calipers, thoroughly cleaned and regreased the caliper slider pin channels and installed new pins. The small rubber flat o-ring on the ends of the caliper pins (one pin per side) were completely torn and flattened. Anyway, new pins in and my front end was blissfully silent again...for a couple of days...

This time, I started getting a loud clunk over larger bumps. The clunk had a sort of ringing sound, sort of like what it would sound like if you whacked a strut spring with a rubber mallet - a ringing sound along with the clunk. I had a buddy rock the car back and forth and could see the top end of the passenger side end link moving up and down - sticking, then letting go. The sway bar would snap down as the top of the end link slipped. I tightened the upper nut down - it was not very tight - and now I am back to sublime silence. The car drives like new. I do think that the new end links did help to stiffen up the front end a bit, so all was not lost.

Anyway I thought I'd share, mainly to suggest that worn cailper pins on the Yaris can cause one heck of a racket as the jiggling caliper really reveberates through the suspension components. At least something to check if you're having trouble nailing down an annoying front end rattle/clunk.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-20-2018 at 06:09 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
thanks for the info, definitely a good thing to keep in the back on our minds!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
thanks for the info, definitely a good thing to keep in the back on our minds!

Hey, you're welcome. I know how frustrating creaks, clunks and rattles can be and how they are often very difficult to diagnose.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 02-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
+1 on the good find.

Also good you got the brakes back in proper working order - the load the front brakes take is amazing, even in a small car like ours; not the part you want failing during a hard stop. lol

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
+1 on the good find.

Also good you got the brakes back in proper working order - the load the front brakes take is amazing, even in a small car like ours; not the part you want failing during a hard stop. lol

-- Adam
Thanks from one Adam to another. Haha. I think - well I know - that my 08 wasn't at all well maintained by the previous owner(s). The car had had a fairly recent brake job but whomever did the job didn't see the need to clean and lube the pins and likely didn't replace any hardware in the drums at the back. One day soon, I'll take the car in the shop and pop the drums off and make sure everything in there is in good shape and properly lubed. I'm pretty sure I have a complete new set of rotors, pads, drums, shoes and hardware kit in the garage. My 06, which I am presuming was better looked after, has no brake issues or any rattles, clicks, clanks by comparison.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 AM   #6
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
When I was reading the text I thought that there might be something wrong with the shock absorber upper mount but apparently I was wrong. :-) Thanks for sharing the details though, I'd bet that more of us will start to "enjoy" various unexpected sounds as our precious ones are growing older...
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by komichal View Post
When I was reading the text I thought that there might be something wrong with the shock absorber upper mount but apparently I was wrong. :-) Thanks for sharing the details though, I'd bet that more of us will start to "enjoy" various unexpected sounds as our precious ones are growing older...
Yes, that was also one of my thoughts. My old Dodge Grand Caravan made almost identical sounds and it was indeed a strut mount. I that case I just replaced both sides with QuickStruts.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
atomic_hoji

On the Dodge Grand Caravan just assume it needs brakes, or at least front passenger side pads, every 6-8 months! For the good features like Stow N Go that I miss, there are some maintenance issues tyat make me genuinely glad to be rid of the damn thing.. lol

-- Adam
Old 02-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
On the Dodge Grand Caravan just assume it needs brakes, or at least front passenger side pads, every 6-8 months! For the good features like Stow N Go that I miss, there are some maintenance issues tyat make me genuinely glad to be rid of the damn thing.. lol

-- Adam
Yeah, everything I read about brakes on the 4th gen. vans is that they are under engineered - aka, too small for the mass of the vehicle.

Our 2006 DGC was generally pretty relaible. I'd get decent brake pad life, but we live in a rural area. I literally have two stop signs between our place and work - and it's about a 15 minute drive. LOL. The one annual maintenance item - that shouldn't have been an annual maintenance item - was sway bar bushing replacement. Man, my van would eat them like candy. I tried so many different brands, including the updated OEM ones with the nylon liner. On the upside, I got pretty good at changing them out, often in under 15 minutes. All of that said, I would replace them at the very first and slightest indication that they were getting loose, clicking or ticking or anything. I think the design was flawed as the sway bar bushings would sit right in the beginning of the curve of the bar and the bar would twist slightly causing the inner bore of the bushing to go oblong.

I did quite a bit of routine maintenance on that van - all fluids - transmission drain and fill annually via the Dorman pan with a plug and a pan drop and new filter every 2 years (ATF+4 only), Coolant drain and fill annually, brake fluid annually, PSF annually, plugs about every 3 years, throttlebody cleaning annually etc.

When we traded it two years ago, we got $4500.00 toward our next used van - a 2011 Kia Sedona - as the 06 was mint (zero rust as I'd done an annual rustproofing with ATF and Fluid Film. The odometer read just over 330000 km at trade in time. We were quite pleased and honestly shocked. I sort of jokingly said I'd like to get $5K on trade-in. The van did have a major electronics upgrade with NAV, headrest DVD players etc.

What year and trim was your Grand Caravan?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
atomic_hoji

We had a 2009, I want to say SE, Stow N Go - middle of the road model. Got $1800 trade in; Honda really didn't want it, and I really didn't want to fix it for minimal return on repair cost via private sale, lol. Have an Odessey now as it seats 3 across in the middle row.

Good news, I'm hoping, is that my Toyota stuff has all benn good about maintenace items such as brakes; assuming you take some care of them, lol. Hoping the Yaris will be the same.

-- Adam
Old 02-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I have an 08 that makes a scraping noise on the driver's side when I got over hard bumps at speed. I suspect it's part of the fender lining come loose, but any other ideas?

Cheers! M2
Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
We had a 2009, I want to say SE, Stow N Go - middle of the road model. Got $1800 trade in; Honda really didn't want it, and I really didn't want to fix it for minimal return on repair cost via private sale, lol. Have an Odessey now as it seats 3 across in the middle row.

Good news, I'm hoping, is that my Toyota stuff has all benn good about maintenace items such as brakes; assuming you take some care of them, lol. Hoping the Yaris will be the same.

-- Adam
I looked at and test drove a couple of Odysseys. Gorgeous! I really liked the interior. I mused that a fusion, involving the body of the Sienna and the interior of the Odyssey would make the 'prefect' minivan. Hate the Sienna dashboard.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #13
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I have an 08 that makes a scraping noise on the driver's side when I got over hard bumps at speed. I suspect it's part of the fender lining come loose, but any other ideas?

Cheers! M2
I think that a loose fender liner should
be relatively easy to diagnose but without
further description it would be difficult to say
for certain what your scraping issue is. I'd
check end links though.