Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
C1241, C1404, C1405, C1416 where to start?

Looking for some help on diagnosing a bunch of ABS codes on a 2010 Yaris that appear to be random.

as the title states I'm getting C1241, C1404, C1405, C1416. I have been able to identify what each code means but have no idea where to start, checked wiring and grounds as well as battery terminals as I felt the C1241 is the real problem. checked voltages and everything is great. No dice. The C1404 really confuses me, what does Traction Control Valve Rear Circuit Failure mean? would this be something to do with the ABS module?

C1405 doesn't make a lot of sense because I changed that sensor with a Toyota sensor in the Fall and C1416 I just purchased a new left rear wheel bearing (sealed unit with sensor) in the fall also.....im at a loss

the puzzling thing is, after a day or 2 on, the codes and lights will go away, and if I clear them they go away for a few days/weeks. sometimes they turn back on as soon as the car turns on, other times they turn on while driving.

Checked for wheel bearing play and there wasn't any.

Finally today, I was able to clear the codes and the only one that kept popping up was C1404 which again is the rear circuit failure. but where to start....
Old 02-05-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
C1416 means that your rear left speed sensor might be bad?
while C1405 is most probably the cable, and not the actual unit.
Check that connection, the plug might have some corrosion in it.
I've ordered 2 cables for the rear speed sensors because my ABS light came on with the fault codes similar to your 1405. "Open circuit on rear left/right speed sensor".

If you do this yourself, please be careful unplugging the cable from the sensor, it's a PITA to deal with. It's really fragile. Don't ask me how I know :p
Old 02-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
^agreed, if you just replaced the sensor but not the cable and you have the same code Then the issue is likely the cable and corrosion.

Make sure all of those electrical connections have dielectric grease in them to prevent future corrosion
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
^agreed, if you just replaced the sensor but not the cable and you have the same code Then the issue is likely the cable and corrosion.

Make sure all of those electrical connections have dielectric grease in them to prevent future corrosion
the wheel bearing (read sensor) was replaced because of a bad wheel bearing, no codes at that time
Old 02-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
yaris2010RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaflam View Post
C1416 means that your rear left speed sensor might be bad?
while C1405 is most probably the cable, and not the actual unit.
Check that connection, the plug might have some corrosion in it.
I've ordered 2 cables for the rear speed sensors because my ABS light came on with the fault codes similar to your 1405. "Open circuit on rear left/right speed sensor".

If you do this yourself, please be careful unplugging the cable from the sensor, it's a PITA to deal with. It's really fragile. Don't ask me how I know :p
didn't realize there was a replaceable section of the harness for this. do you have a part number for the cable?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:02 AM   #6
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

89516-0D110 although I'm not really sure if it's the same for both sides. I ordered two of these, at 13USD each. Here's the link 89515-0D110 Rear ABS Wheel Sensor Harness
Old 02-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A German study of ABS actually found it cause more accidents than it prevented. This is because according to the study, ABS makes people drive faster and less carefully because they believe ABS protects them. Basically there overconfident.

Maybe your car is doing you a favor!.

Last edited by bronsin; 02-21-2018 at 09:12 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
A German study of ABS actually found it cause more accidents than it prevented. This is because according to the study, ABS makes people drive faster and less carefully because they believe ABS protects them. Basically there overconfident.

Maybe your car is doing you a favor!.
Hmm interesting. ABS doesn't make your car stop faster all it does is give your steering control while braking. Technically no abs will allow your car to stop faster at the cost of any control during lock up
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
bronsin

As a motorcyclist who began riding in the 70s before ABS I learned to use the brakes for stopping at stop signs. I controlled my speed with the throttle backing off before turns and shifting down. Also I rode mostly on the freeway and back roads where brake use is minimal and I was not as subject to other people’s mistakes. My riding career is over now but I put on ~300k miles, fell twice at ~ 10 mph injuring neither myself or the bike.

The first time I had my €2009 Yaris out in the snow I pushed on the brakes, the ABS activated, and I went right through a stop sign! That car has automatic transmission which does not slow the vehicle down as much when you let off on the gas. With my manual transmission cars in snow I went slowly, let off on the gas long before I had to stop, and pumped the brakes. I had a lot to learn about driving an auto trans even with ABS!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #10
bronsin

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_...in_cars_abs_en
Old 02-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

I've trained my foot to actually have full stop power without locking the wheels at all, it's not as hard as you'd think it'd be! Find an empty straight and practice! ;)