Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #37
TylerJ

Drives: Blazing Blue 2007 3dr HB 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by watersoilair View Post
Thanks a lot for the tip...I was really starting to worry. This can be done on your own. The location of the shifting bushings is between the motor and the battery. I sprayed every rubber joint/apperatus and worked it around with the stickshift, then went around and did it once more. Make sure to use a silicone based lubricant as a petroleum based lubricant will degrade the rubber joints. Happy driving!
Is white lithium grease silicone based ? Or are there different types and you need to get silicone based? I ask because it was mentioned earlier in the thread.
TylerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #38
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
NO Si in the Li. I would get a Si/teflon type - you dont want grease on there - it picks up sand. Toyota f-d up the design of my MR2 shifter too - cable ends (heim joints) used to fall off the trans and jam up the gears.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #39
highwaypass
Captain Slow

Drives: '08 1.5 hatchback
i also feel your pain. it also happened to my car,but mostly 2nd and 3rd.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #40
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Just noticed this on my Yaris too a bit last night. Really paid attention for it this morning on way to work and when out for lunch... its squeaking each and every time going out of 2nd gear and going into and out of 3rd gear (sometimes when leaving 4th gear)!

Was worried it was bigger deal... I had a friend driving my car home last night because I wasnt able to, and she's quite rusty on driving stick... and stalled it numerous times on the road in 1st gear (10+)... i was cringing each and every time! I was hoping it wasnt damaged caused by repetative rough stallings... :S

Glad to see its nothing crazy serious..

In 200 km im due for my semi-annual maintenace service. Ill just mention it to the dealership then I guess and have them deal with it, oil that part mentioned in here.

Thanks! I agree this thread def needs to be stickied!

Glad to see im not the only one w/ this gear squeak issue!

Jem
Old 08-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #41
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Thumbs up

In addition to earlier post. I put a blob of grease plus oil inside the rubber. Shifting becomes smoother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gearshift squeek.jpg (228.9 KB, 1420 views)
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #42
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
now that the shift squeak is gone, how do I get rid of the squeak when I press the clutch? lol
Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #43
ammophobia

Drives: 2007 Vios (Yaris Sedan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
now that the shift squeak is gone, how do I get rid of the squeak when I press the clutch? lol
+1...
When the shift squeak job is done, at first I thought it also took away the clutch squeak, but I just heard that clutch squeak again this afternoon...
ammophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #44
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
mine had the squeak also, amazing what a little grease will do,

damn i love this place seems i will never have to take the car in for service !!!!!
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #45
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammophobia
+1...
When the shift squeak job is done, at first I thought it also took away the clutch squeak, but I just heard that clutch squeak again this afternoon...
anyone? lol
Old 08-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #46
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I have no idea where this part is.. and I've searched everywhere on the internet and can't find it. Can somebody please take a picture farther back or maybe make a small how-to? Thanks. =D
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #47
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I have no idea where this part is.. and I've searched everywhere on the internet and can't find it. Can somebody please take a picture farther back or maybe make a small how-to? Thanks. =D
It is located right below the air intake. It might be a bit hard to see if your intake is OEM, but it should still be reachable without having to remove it.

Last edited by tk-421; 08-15-2009 at 09:49 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #48
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
When had my car in for its regular 6 mo/8,000 km maintenance appt, i had them fix this issue. Just needed a little lubrication. All is fine now. :)
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #49
ExocetCom

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris RS
Re: Clutch squeak

Maybe to help identify your problem, could you determine if the squeak is coming from the engine bay or inside the cabin?

If it's inside the cabin, it's probably just a hinge for the pedal itself which you could probably shoot some lithium grease at inside the cabin. If it's inside the engine bay then maybe there's some friction on the clutch cable (I think these are cable-actuated clutch vehicles, not hydraulic). Though if the squeak is coming from insdie the bell housing, then that's probably something you can't fix without opening up the trans housing to get at the clutch spring.
ExocetCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #50
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExocetCom View Post
Re: Clutch squeak

Maybe to help identify your problem, could you determine if the squeak is coming from the engine bay or inside the cabin?

If it's inside the cabin, it's probably just a hinge for the pedal itself which you could probably shoot some lithium grease at inside the cabin. ... ... ...
These are hydraulic clutch actuation. I wouldnt put petro-grease on a plastic part w/o first knowing compatibility - some lubes could soften the plastic then you'll be worse off pretty soon. If desparate, Most plastics can tolerate coconut oil and milkfat youll find around the kitchen. Dont laugh - good lubricants!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #51
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Mine's been acting up over the weekend while shifting from 2nd to neutral, and again into 1st. Will run out tomorrow to get grease thanks to this thread

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #52
abhinav_kr

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Where is this part located in this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new1.jpg (120.3 KB, 639 views)
abhinav_kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #53
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
lube this part. if you look under the hood at your linkage move this part side to side and lube. white lithium grease in the spray can works great.
Props to KOU big time. I havent got the lithium grease in a spray can yet but just squirting some WD-40 where you showed in your pics made the squeek disappear and noticably easier shifting instantly!! I sprayed there and every adjacent pivot point I could reach and the result was immediate. Actually more difference that changing to MT-90 for shifts per se. Thanks bud!
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #54
az_saguaro
What to Mod Next?

Drives: 2008 3Dr HB, Bayou Blue
Definitely needs to be sticky. I have had this squeak for over a year and never felt motivated enough to track it down. Thanks to this thread I went out, verified it was this linkage and lubed it up. Squeak free hooray!
az_saguaro is offline   Reply With Quote