Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I had the same problem last year (spring 2014) and after reading this forum I figured the ABS sensor must have had some moisture or corrosion in it. I decided to tackle the problem myself with good results. Be aware that I am NOT a mechanic and I can't even raise my vehicle off the ground, but I managed to get rid of the issue.

I laid down underneath the car with a can of WD-40 and sprayed a LOT of it in the area of the ABS sensors. I did this on all 4 wheels. It's not easy to get in there but I managed to soak all the sensors as much as possible hoping the WD-40 would soak in the small gaps where the contacts are.

It didn't work right away, but probably within a week the ABS light and the brake warning light went off. It came back on for a brief period then went off again. It's been about a year and the light hasn't come back on. I intend to spray it again with WD-40 later this spring for preventive maintenance. This may or may not work for you, but it worked for me. Good luck.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #20
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Wd-40 is not a lubricant.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #21
chrisgblues

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Wd-40 is not a lubricant.
You are 100% correct! WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's a "Water Displacement" product. Which is exactly why I used it on the ABS sensors, to displace the moisture that got in there and shorted the contacts which caused the error code. And it seems to have worked. I guess there's always a chance it was just a fluke, but it makes logical sense to me.

JMHO.
chrisgblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #22
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
to resolve this problem that is common on Yaris and other Toyota's ...for Yaris u will need to scan the car find out if one or both abs harnesses need to be replaced this may solve the problem but for most part on the older cars u will need the wheel bearing hub replaced and harness .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 PM   #23
Maranda
Newcomer

Drives: Yaris 2007 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
to resolve this problem that is common on Yaris and other Toyota's ...for Yaris u will need to scan the car find out if one or both abs harnesses need to be replaced this may solve the problem but for most part on the older cars u will need the wheel bearing hub replaced and harness .
Is there a way to know if only the harness are to be changed, or the hubs?
I want to take advantage of the nice weather to check it tomorrow.

I did a scan, and in my case, I have the error codes for the 2 abs in the rear.
Maranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #24
Exiwolfman

If u have code for rear abs it should show side left or right or both ...could be harness but I find its the hub sensor in that case u need to and should always replace both
Old 04-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maranda View Post
Is there a way to know if only the harness are to be changed, or the hubs?
I want to take advantage of the nice weather to check it tomorrow.

I did a scan, and in my case, I have the error codes for the 2 abs in the rear.
You can easily tell which needs to be replaced by disconnecting the connector from the sensor in the hub. If the sensor's pins are intact you just have to replace the cable. If the sensor's pins are severely corroded, then the sensor will likely need to be replaced.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #26
Exiwolfman

Very true Scott just find in areas with winter both are done . .but definitely worth the look and do harness first
Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 AM   #27
ntokozo

Drives: 2007, toyota yaris 1.0
Hi guys

I posted yesterday as well about the ABS light and handbrake light switching on after I changed the CV joing of the yaris 2007. in addition to that was the speedometer could not read. the safety belt alarm is not ringing when the belt is not fasten. today in the morning I realise there engine light is now on. the car is getting worse by day. and all I did was replacing the cv joints.

when I went to the mechanic about the faults, he indicated that the sold me non-abs cv joints. howeve I went back to the spares shop. they gave me my old cv to show that it did not have the wheel tone. to my wonder is but how was the speedometer reading before I changed the cv joints? a part of me was maybe the wheel tone is on the bearings. I checked where the abs sensor on the wheels is pointing. it seems to be pointing on the CV. I am now confused more. please help:
where is the wheel tone in 1.0 Toyota yaris 2007? bearing or cv joints?
ntokozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #28
Edmontonian78

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I have a problem with my right rear speed sensor. I went and replaced the wiring harness which was visibly damage myself and I still have the error code 210(right rear speed sensor).

I have the bluedriver scan tool(highly recommended for the price!) which can read abs problems. When I try to clear the abs fault with it says it can't clear permanent codes. I have also tried to clear it using this youtube method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1V6pv2ej0 which also doesn't work. I'd like to be able to clear it initially at the least.

I'm thinking I may have to replace the hub assembly as well which would be a pain since I went and gobbed a bunch of silicone around the connector area so no water gets in.
Edmontonian78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #29
Edmontonian78

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can easily tell which needs to be replaced by disconnecting the connector from the sensor in the hub. If the sensor's pins are intact you just have to replace the cable. If the sensor's pins are severely corroded, then the sensor will likely need to be replaced.
You can take some sewing needles and use them to check for continuity on the wiring harness with a multi meter. On the 2007 sedan model if you push down the back seat so you can see the inside of your trunk; the connector for the speed sensor wire is right inside the plastic trim and you just need to remove a plastic pin that holds it in place.

Last edited by Edmontonian78; 10-23-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Edmontonian78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #30
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk2193 View Post
Hey guys, i've got the same problem, ABS and Brake light came on on one snowy day... after reading ur comments i took my yaris sedan 2008 to the mechanic, he cleaned the connections and the light came off... i left my mechanic's parking lot and the the lights came on again! i came back he looked at it and said drive for one week look how it goes and if problem is still there come back. i came home and ht lights came off!!! not sure what the problem is, i will try to wash the underbody of the car, i never washed it there before...

Mine also cycled on and off for a long period until I attempted to pull the plug off for inspection and likely doing permanent damage as the light stay on constantly now. Solution = install new rear wheel bearing (with ABS) and possibly also the wiring harness. OR drive with the warning lights on and no ABS.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #31
killacam64

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
I have a 2009 yaris sedan. when I pull the codes im getting a C0210, C0215, and C0278. My question is are both my rear speed sensors bad, or am I getting that code because of the ABS Solenoid Relay Circuit problem. Im going to test the voltage on the sensor this weekend and try troubleshooting the relay circuit. Thanks
killacam64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #32
crpt2008

Drives: Yaris D4D 2007
Hi all
Another Toyota Yaris 2007 D4D with ABS and Traction control lights on.
Damn awful situation since EU control (MOT) failed and if road authorities catch it pull the license plates so can't be driven.
Repair is stupidly expensive here in Norway.
But other than the lights on and inoperative ABS + TCS the car behaves normally and brake well as usual.
Very sad client...

PS: Worth mention the brakes act better in snow and ice without the ABS ON.
In those conditions the ABS is a bit "hysterical" and mess in way too much. :o)
crpt2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #33
400 dollar yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Abs + Brake! light

happened to me today . of course it is 8 degrees out. There was a lot of snow and ice build up around my wheels this morning, but thought nothing of it as I have never had a problem before, but as I am pulling out of the driveway of course both lights appear. so after reading multiple threads and watching youtube videos, I will begin my troubleshooting with the rear skid sensors. The plan is to disconnect them and use electrical contact spray on them to hopefully get rid of dirt and corrosion. will need to do both sides since autozone and O'reilly cant pull the codes to tell me which one and the dealer will charge $100. next the plan is to remove front speed sensors and clean them with a rag. Ill let you know the results. If anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. I will take pictures of all four sensors as well to try to help others on here experiencing the same issues. not really wanting to spend the money as nothing was wrong yesterday and after reading about how the dealerships are screwing people that will be my last resort. wish me luck.
400 dollar yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #34
400 dollar yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
so about those rear sensors .....

well the lights are gone. no pictures really as it was a very straight forward fix for me. so being 10 degrees outside I decided to run up to harbor freight and get a few things before I freeze to death trying to do all four wheels. got a code reader and some electrical contact cleaner. after returning home, I hooked up the reader to see what I was dealing with. basically it was throwing codes for both rear sensors as well as one for debris on the right rear sensor and high or low voltage reading. so I just disconnected both sensors coated them in a good amount of contact cleaner and let it dry. next I carefully reconnected the sensors and cleared the old codes using the diagnostic reader. after turning on the car and taking it for a spin lights were off and no more codes so we will see if this did the trick. good luck to anyone experiencing this problem and I hope this post will help. from now on I will be checking wheel wells for excessive snow and ice in the mornings before leaving the house to help keep these areas clean. I suspect that there was dirt and snow/ice in the sensors causing them to fail. when it is warmer out, I may use some spray insulation on these sensors to hopefully avoid this issue for winters to come. as of now no lights on and I'm calling it a win. now if I can just find time to get these recalls done.....
400 dollar yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:11 AM   #35
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Harbor Freight code reader Yaris Rear ABS brake sensors warning light dash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 dollar yaris View Post
well the lights are gone. no pictures really as it was a very straight forward fix for me. so being 10 degrees outside I decided to run up to harbor freight and get a few things before I freeze to death trying to do all four wheels. got a code reader and some electrical contact cleaner. after returning home, I hooked up the reader to see what I was dealing with. basically it was throwing codes for both rear sensors as well as one for debris on the right rear sensor and high or low voltage reading. so I just disconnected both sensors coated them in a good amount of contact cleaner and let it dry. next I carefully reconnected the sensors and cleared the old codes using the diagnostic reader. after turning on the car and taking it for a spin lights were off and no more codes so we will see if this did the trick. good luck to anyone experiencing this problem and I hope this post will help. from now on I will be checking wheel wells for excessive snow and ice in the mornings before leaving the house to help keep these areas clean. I suspect that there was dirt and snow/ice in the sensors causing them to fail. when it is warmer out, I may use some spray insulation on these sensors to hopefully avoid this issue for winters to come. as of now no lights on and I'm calling it a win. now if I can just find time to get these recalls done.....
Happy for your fix and thanks for the great write-up. (Good use of an older thread.) I'd be interested in a part number or any description of that particular reader.
Did an earlier post in the thread mention reassembly w/ dielectric grease to protect connector contacts?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #36
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Weird. Never saw this old thread. I actually have a history code in the brake control module for a rear wheel speed sensor (although it never turned the light on). I drove it in the summer with the live data graphing on my scanner for all 4 wheel speed sensors and I didn't detect any problems. So I thought i'd monitor it. Then a few weeks ago we had really bad snow in the UK which was pretty unusual. I drove to work as usual during that week and one morning my ABS and (!) light came on while I was driving and then went off after about 10 minutes. I have wondered if some salt or moisture got in the connector for one of the wheel speed sensors or some snow/ice/grit got up in the gap between the sensor and the ring and caused an issue.

When i get it up on the jack stands for its service in April i might do some further investigations and clean out some of the plugs with contact cleaner and make sure there are no crusties in them.