Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2018, 05:25 AM   #37
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 dollar yaris View Post
well the lights are gone. no pictures really as it was a very straight forward fix for me. so being 10 degrees outside I decided to run up to harbor freight and get a few things before I freeze to death trying to do all four wheels. got a code reader and some electrical contact cleaner. after returning home, I hooked up the reader to see what I was dealing with. basically it was throwing codes for both rear sensors as well as one for debris on the right rear sensor and high or low voltage reading. so I just disconnected both sensors coated them in a good amount of contact cleaner and let it dry. next I carefully reconnected the sensors and cleared the old codes using the diagnostic reader. after turning on the car and taking it for a spin lights were off and no more codes so we will see if this did the trick. good luck to anyone experiencing this problem and I hope this post will help. from now on I will be checking wheel wells for excessive snow and ice in the mornings before leaving the house to help keep these areas clean. I suspect that there was dirt and snow/ice in the sensors causing them to fail. when it is warmer out, I may use some spray insulation on these sensors to hopefully avoid this issue for winters to come. as of now no lights on and I'm calling it a win. now if I can just find time to get these recalls done.....
Throwing in some dielectric grease in between both connectors would be a good idea next time you have the wheels off. Keeps the moisture out and will help avoid this issue again. Glad you were able to fix it
Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #38
400 dollar yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Happy for your fix and thanks for the great write-up. (Good use of an older thread.) I'd be interested in a part number or any description of that particular reader.
Did an earlier post in the thread mention reassembly w/ dielectric grease to protect connector contacts?
Yes it did which I will do as soon as its a little warmer and I don't have to lay in the snow as I am without a garage at my current apartment, but I believe the grease would definitely help to keep these exposed contacts safer. Also, the reader I got was from harbor freight, Zurich OBD2 ZR11 63807 it was a little expensive for me at 140 dollars but it seems like a very nice piece of equipment that will last me a long time. They had another one there for 190, but I chose to get the cheaper one. I highly recommend if you need one right away. Good luck to everyone with their cars and I'm glad to have found this thread.
400 dollar yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #39
clintblackx
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I just happened to come across this site when I was searching for a solution to my ABS and Brake lights coming up. It is a very slushy and cold day up here in Michigan. I guess I need to take my car in to a car wash!
clintblackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #40
seatech30

Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
I had new tires installed yesterday. Today, did the alignment at Meineki, they took 4 hours "because they had to wait for some shims to come in". I drove off and did some laundry then drove to McDs for food. When i got out of McDs and turned my car on and was driving, I noticed the brake light was on and quickly checked to make sure I hadnt left the E brake on, but it was off then I noticed the ABS light was also on. I pulled over and played with the e brake, but nothing. I scanned the error codes with my generic bluetooth odbii and nothing is reported. Did a error code wipe and nothing. Then I found this thread. I had to have bigger tires installed because costco didnt have my size, however, i get the feeling that meineki did something wrong when installing the shims in the rear. Any thoughts?
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #41
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I wonder if they damaged one of your ABS sensors or the harness when they did the alignment? I don't know HOW exactly they managed it (talented i guess?) but i doubt its serious. My brake and ABS light were on for a while in the winter (and then went out) and it never caused me any bother.

My Autel MD802 scanner reads my brake module (codes and live data), i think there is a slightly cheaper one that only works on Asian vehicles.

Probably the cheapest way is if you have an old laptop (windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit) you can get a knock off Toyota Mini VCJ J2534 cable which may just by coincidence happen to have a virus containing copy of Toyota Techstream with it from China... *cough cough* The factory software will read all codes and modules and display live data. I think i got mine for $13.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #42
seatech30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I wonder if they damaged one of your ABS sensors or the harness when they did the alignment? I don't know HOW exactly they managed it (talented i guess?) but i doubt its serious. My brake and ABS light were on for a while in the winter (and then went out) and it never caused me any bother.

My Autel MD802 scanner reads my brake module (codes and live data), i think there is a slightly cheaper one that only works on Asian vehicles.

Probably the cheapest way is if you have an old laptop (windows XP or Windows 7 32 bit) you can get a knock off Toyota Mini VCJ J2534 cable which may just by coincidence happen to have a virus containing copy of Toyota Techstream with it from China... *cough cough* The factory software will read all codes and modules and display live data. I think i got mine for $13.
It doesn't seem that the brakes are dragging, and they feel the same as before the lights, so I think it will be alright to keep going as is. It just psyches me out every time I look over while driving.

Unfortunately the laptop I have with me is ubuntu and windows 10. Ill do some digging on that though, thanks for the advice. I do have the torque app paid version, not sure if that makes any difference. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 AM   #43
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatech30 View Post
It doesn't seem that the brakes are dragging, and they feel the same as before the lights, so I think it will be alright to keep going as is. It just psyches me out every time I look over while driving.

Unfortunately the laptop I have with me is ubuntu and windows 10. Ill do some digging on that though, thanks for the advice. I do have the torque app paid version, not sure if that makes any difference. Thanks for chiming in!
It will probably be ok till you get home. Worst case it might just prevent your ABS from working. I don't know if any of the autoparts stores that do free code reading have scanners which read brake codes. Might be an idea.

I'll probably get in trouble for talking about it on here. But i got my cable and software from ali express. You see them on ebay as well. I installed it on a shitty old Samsung NC110 netbook. The software probably has viruses and malware embedded in it but all i use that laptop for is techstream and my hantek scope software. I'd never put it on any of my main machines. The software seems to work well enough and could access all the modules on the CAN.

Safe travels mate. Keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #44
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Gen 2 Yaris wheel alignment rear shims torsion beam axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatech30 View Post
I had new tires installed yesterday. Today, did the alignment at Meineki, they took 4 hours "because they had to wait for some shims to come in". I drove off and did some laundry then drove to McDs for food. When i got out of McDs and turned my car on and was driving, I noticed the brake light was on and quickly checked to make sure I hadnt left the E brake on, but it was off then I noticed the ABS light was also on. I pulled over and played with the e brake, but nothing. I scanned the error codes with my generic bluetooth odbii and nothing is reported. Did a error code wipe and nothing. Then I found this thread. I had to have bigger tires installed because costco didnt have my size, however, i get the feeling that meineki did something wrong when installing the shims in the rear. Any thoughts?
Where on the car structure are shims used for this alignment?
(Gen 2 Yaris wheel alignment rear shims torsion beam axle)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:37 AM   #45
seatech30

zoidberg444, I did ask an Autozone if they could check with theirs when I dropped off my oil, it didnt read anything. Thanks for the info, ill have to get a set. So far the car has behaved the same in all regards. Fingers crossed.

dogsridewith, I have no clue. The tech seemed confused that the shims didn't go on the way they should he said something about the numbers going on the outside which isn't what he was used to seeing. Apparently they'd been putting shims on and it would fail alignment or something. They didn't really give me details. I'll take a wheel off when I get a chance and take a look.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #46
scgoodie
scgoodie

Drives: 2012 Yaris 5 door
Thank you all for your input! My 2012 Yaris 5 door (base model W/AT)had the brake light, ABS light and Traction Control icon stay on at startup. Everything seemed to work ok so I stopped after driving 5 miles, shut car off and restarted. Lights went out. Has happened a couple of times since (within 2 weeks) but once had actually gone out on its own. I put an OBD reader on the car and came up with no codes (lights were off), but will try if lights come back on. I will check the connections for my ABS sensors. Car has only 190,300 miles on it and I drive it one week then my 2018 Tacoma the next week. Great car, a pleasure to drive.
scgoodie is offline   Reply With Quote