Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #37
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by aucorium View Post
and the speed sensor wire ?
The easiest place to tap it is at the speedometer. It is the pink wire in pin 17 of connector D1, which is the larger of the two connectors.

Conn D1 - Combination Meter.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #38
yoxx

Drives: toyota yaris 2008 hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There's a 2 pin connector to the engine coolant temp sensor. It has a pink and a blue wire that go to pins 96 (pink) and 97 (blue) on connector C20 of the ECM.

Attachment 30002
hey ctscott

i got a little problem
the water temp that i got, only have one wire for the water temp? wich one should i use for this? the pin 96 (pink wire) or pin 97 (blue wire)
yoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #39
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoxx View Post
hey ctscott

i got a little problem
the water temp that i got, only have one wire for the water temp? wich one should i use for this? the pin 96 (pink wire) or pin 97 (blue wire)
What temp gauge did you buy?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #40
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
Quote:
The easiest place to tap it is at the speedometer. It is the pink wire in pin 17 of connector D1, which is the larger of the two connectors.

Attachment 30013

where is that connector buddy ?

i wanna hook it up to my apexi rsm speed wire
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
where is that connector buddy ?

i wanna hook it up to my apexi rsm speed wire
Pop the trim from around the speedometer and you'll see two connectors going to the cluster assembly. If your car is left hand drive the connector you want will be on right and if it's right hand drive it will be on the left.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:13 PM   #42
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

or should i say where in the car do i find that connector?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #43
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
Pop the trim from around the speedometer and you'll see two connectors going to the cluster assembly. If your car is left hand drive the connector you want will be on right and if it's right hand drive it will be on the left.
aaah ok ! thx bro !! no other locations for that wire ? like on the ODB2 port? how does the scangauge get speedo signal? cant i somehow hook into that?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #44
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
aaah ok ! thx bro !! no other locations for that wire ? like on the ODB2 port? how does the scangauge get speedo signal? cant i somehow hook into that?
The ScanGauge gets it via CAN Bus data at the OBD port. If your car has TPMS the speed signal is available there as well. honestly, popping the trim from around the cluster takes no tools and just a couple of seconds.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Quote:
The ScanGauge gets it via CAN Bus data at the OBD port. If your car has TPMS the speed signal is available there as well. honestly, popping the trim from around the cluster takes no tools and just a couple of seconds.

im a little scared to mess up the plastics as i have a heavy had. how does that plastics come off anyway?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #46
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
im a little scared to mess up the plastics as i have a heavy had. how does that plastics come off anyway?
Pull off the two vertical black pieces that surround the radio.

Pull the cluster trim gently at the top, where the seam is to loosen it.

Pull the cluster trim along the bottom straight back towards you to free the tabs that go into the top of the radio trim.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #47
yoxx

Quote:
What temp gauge did you buy?
This is the one I got
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

it match my tach and voltmeter
Old 11-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #48
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
This is the one I got
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...unction=Search

it match my tach and voltmeter
That link is not working. Is it their Nitrous brand one?

Also, does it not include a temp sensor of its own? I can't see how a gauage manufacturer would be able to assume that car manufacturers use the same spec temp sensors.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #49
yoxx

Quote:
That link is not working. Is it their Nitrous brand one?

Also, does it not include a temp sensor of its own? I can't see how a gauage manufacturer would be able to assume that car manufacturers use the same spec temp sensors.
yes is their nitrous brand, and yes it come with a sensor but i dont want to drill a hole on my car for the sensor, but if i can get around it and NOT drill a hole on my car will be better

now for the sensor it only have one cable and you give me two, so i didnt know on wich one to plug it in so i havent test it on any of them yet

now i gues that you r familiar with the gauge that i got, is there a extra hole on the car that i can put the sensor that came with it???

i really want this to work men, thanks for your time

Last edited by yoxx; 11-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #50
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
yes is their nitrous brand, and yes it come with a sensor but i dont want to drill a hole on my car for the sensor, but if i can get around it and NOT drill a hole on my car will be better

now for the sensor it only have one cable and you give me two, so i didnt know on wich one to plug it in so i havent test it on any of them yet

now i gues that you r familiar with the gauge that i got, is there a extra hole on the car that i can put the sensor that came with it???

i really want this to work men, thanks for your time

That makes more sense. The more I thought about it, I realized that water temp gauges aren't like tachs, where you can tie them to a standardized signal.

As for where to add your gauges sensor, there really isn't an existing extra hole that I am aware of. I believe that there are plates that can be installed under the thermostat housing that give you a place to install the sensor. I've seen people install them in other cars by drilling and tapping.

I know that others on here have installed them, So, you might want to start a new thread asking where and how people installed their sensors.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #51
yoxx

Thumbs up

Quote:
That makes more sense. The more I thought about it, I realized that water temp gauges aren't like tachs, where you can tie them to a standardized signal.

As for where to add your gauges sensor, there really isn't an existing extra hole that I am aware of. I believe that there are plates that can be installed under the thermostat housing that give you a place to install the sensor. I've seen people install them in other cars by drilling and tapping.

I know that others on here have installed them, So, you might want to start a new thread asking where and how people installed their sensors.
that makes sense, ill start a new thread

now let me ask you a question, do you think that if i use one of the line that you told me from the pin 96 (pink) or pin 97 (blue) i think i could try that and see, because i reeeeeeally don't want to drill a hole on my car, and now that i think there must be a line that i can tap into because, on the speedometer there is two light for temp, one light up COOL so when you start the car and the other is the red light that have the signal of hot temp, anyway let me know what you think

thank again for the time
Old 11-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #52
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
that makes sense, ill start a new thread

now let me ask you a question, do you think that if i use one of the line that you told me from the pin 96 (pink) or pin 97 (blue) i think i could try that and see, because i reeeeeeally don't want to drill a hole on my car, and now that i think there must be a line that i can tap into because, on the speedometer there is two light for temp, one light up COOL so when you start the car and the other is the red light that have the signal of hot temp, anyway let me know what you think

thank again for the time
I don't believe that it would work. The single wire sensor is a one wire thermocouple. A two wire device, like what is on the car, is a thermistor. A thermocouple generates voltage relative to change in temperature. A thermistor changes resistance based on temperature. So, the output of the two sensor types is completely different.

As for the lights, they are illuminated by the cluster's microcontroller, based on data from the ECM (who processes the sensor data).
Old 11-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #53
yoxx

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't believe that it would work. The single wire sensor is a one wire thermocouple. A two wire device, like what is on the car, is a thermistor. A thermocouple generates voltage relative to change in temperature. A thermistor changes resistance based on temperature. So, the output of the two sensor types is completely different.

As for the lights, they are illuminated by the cluster's microcontroller, based on data from the ECM (who processes the sensor data).
men that socks, cus i really want it to put this water temp gauge on cus it match my tach and my voltmeter, i guess am gonna have to get some sort of adapter so i can get the sensor in

thank buddy
Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #54
fsj2

Drives: 2014 SE 5dr
I want to wire up some aftermarket LED driving lights. I want them to come when the car is in drive. Is there a easy place to connect them? 2010 5 dr HB. Thanks.
fsj2 is offline   Reply With Quote