Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Walter

Drives: Polar White LB
AFE drop in filter

Picked up a AFE air filter last week and its a great mod on a budget. If youre not into having an intake or just cant afford to buy the whole shebang, or even if you need to replace your paper filter, I highly recommend this. You dont have to oil it, K&N quality and results, and you can get one from Garm @ Micro Image. My paper filter was very dirty; but now my car feels more responsive, gets better gas milage, and you can hear it sucking air in (without it being overbearing).

Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
How much was that? I can't seem to find it on MI.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Looks like a quality product.. Would you consider doing a UOA to check the silicon level?

Last edited by CB900F2; 09-22-2009 at 07:08 AM.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post
but now my car feels more responsive,
EVERY mod FEELS better after you do it. That's just because there are less bills in your wallet between your butt and the road...

Quote:
gets better gas milage,
sweet! I take it you already did same trip testing before and after?

Quote:
and you can hear it sucking air in (without it being overbearing).
and you only have to have the hood and window open to hear it!!! (or a hole in your firewall)(please post videos if I'm wrong)

seriously though, its a good product, and it might replace my K&N just so I don't have to deal with the oil recharge kits, but lets keep it real.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Walter

Drives: Polar White LB
Why are you following me around bashing my posts? Ive been building cars for 13 years, and had a couple featured in magazines. I think I can tell the difference. I stated before that my paper filter was dirty, if you have even a little bit of connection with your vehicle even changing it to a stock clean filter would make a slight difference.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Why are you following me around bashing my posts? Ive been building cars for 13 years, and had a couple featured in magazines. I think I can tell the difference. I stated before that my paper filter was dirty, if you have even a little bit of connection with your vehicle even changing it to a stock clean filter would make a slight difference.
because I WUB YOU

I'm not bashing your posts, I'm just asking questions... I even said your VW was a good price... I DO bash, and will continue to, every unscientific theory posted as fact. Maybe if you can't handle the same person replying to two of your posts, the internet isn't the right place for you.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
you need to poke some holes in the air box, then you'll hear something! or at least remove the silencer tube snorkel thing.

i didn't realize microimage carried it, thanks for posting.
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
rockrabbit

Drives: Yaris Sedan '07
Quote:
You dont have to oil it, K&N quality
Walter,

curious, when you say you do not have to oil it, how does it differ from K&N when cleaning it?

Thanks
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrabbit View Post
Walter,

curious, when you say you do not have to oil it, how does it differ from K&N when cleaning it?

Thanks

I've been wondering that myself. Can you just vacuum the filter or do you have to wash it, too? I have the K&N drop-in filter and I'm pretty satisfied with it. I could tell that I'd have at least a 30% improved flow just by looking at the K&N drop-in filter, and that was before the install. It's pretty simple to use... no dismantling of anything -- just replacing. And there's less intake noise, which can start to sound a little annoying/whiny when coming from such a small engine.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
You should wash the filter completely and let it air dry. The Simota drop-in is virtually identical to the one pictured above and you can run them dry or oiled.
If you do use oil, it must be used sparingly.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Quote:
my car feels more responsive
Im running a drop in K&N filter in one of my yaris and the stock filter in the other and there is no doubt in my mind that a better breathing filter improves the throttle response, not sure about the mpg tho...

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
EVERY mod FEELS better after you do it. That's just because there are less bills in your wallet between your butt and the road...

sweet! I take it you already did same trip testing before and after?

and you only have to have the hood and window open to hear it!!! (or a hole in your firewall)(please post videos if I'm wrong)

seriously though, its a good product, and it might replace my K&N just so I don't have to deal with the oil recharge kits, but lets keep it real.
From your recent posts, you seem to be the a**hole of the forums.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
because I WUB YOU
I DO bash, and will continue to, every unscientific theory posted as fact.
So are you gonna pay for dyno time that will cost at least 3 times what the mod costs?
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
From your recent posts, you seem to be the a**hole of the forums.
Hmmmm, and which one of us has been banned before?? Weird, huh.

If you guys have something to back your claims up and prove me wrong, by all means, post away and prove I'm an asshole. People make the same claims - sounds better, feels more responsive, and gets better gas mileage from using 91 fuel. I don't see you defending them when people tell them they are full of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
So are you gonna pay for dyno time that will cost at least 3 times what the mod costs?
Is a dyno going to measure responsiveness, mpg, or volume?
Old 10-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'll be putting the product up today, it is in stock. Very nice filter for those that don't want to upgrade the whole intake system.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Hmmmm, and which one of us has been banned before?? Weird, huh.
I have. You know why? It was for calling someone out when they were being an asshole to other members ( Tamago ).

And you sir, are an asshole. FACT.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I have. You know why? It was for calling someone out when they were being an asshole to other members ( Tamago ).

And you sir, are an asshole. FACT.
Like I said, if I'm wrong, post some numbers. Anything. Hell you can even make up some numbers like half the hypermilers here to support your better MPG claim.

You may not like me, but if one more consumer is informed(or un-misinformed as the case has been lately) at the end of the day, my job is done.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Like I said, if I'm wrong, post some numbers.
If you are right, post some numbers. Your claim of them not having gains has no validity as much as them claiming they do have gains. So for you to say they are wrong, and that they need to show numbers to prove they are right, is just as stupid as your say their claims are. Technically, the guy who installed the filter in HIS own car, that HE drives, should have more validity to his statement, opposed to yours. Until YOU can prove your claims with numbers, you will continue to be looked at as an ass.