Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
rokmeamadeus

Drives: 2008 Yaris (Base) LB
Re-key question

Hi folks,

My Yaris seems to be having a rough few weeks. It was stolen earlier this week, only to be found three days later thanks to the Philly police. Apparently my key came off the keyring and (I'm assuming) fell somewhere on the sidewalk (I'm assuming) relatively near the car (everything else was intact on the keyring).

Yeah, I know.

Long story short, I have it in the shop for repairs but insurance won't cover lock replacement. My adjuster suggested I look into rekeying, and that sounds like a brilliant idea. I looked up on the internet and it seems to me like this could get expensive, but I'm unsure. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on the best way to proceed here? I'm still missing one key (I have two spares). Should I replace the locks (and ignition?), or should I rekey the car? Any guesstimates of how much this'll run me? It's an '08 Liftback.

Thanks!
rokmeamadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Rekeying would be quite expensive as you are looking at new lock assemblies all around as well as a new ignition switch. If you really want to do so it may make more sense to find a junkyard with a complete one that you can harvest the locks and keys from.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
rokmeamadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Rekeying would be quite expensive as you are looking at new lock assemblies all around as well as a new ignition switch. If you really want to do so it may make more sense to find a junkyard with a complete one that you can harvest the locks and keys from.
Ball-park numbers, am I looking at a few hundred, or >$1000?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokmeamadeus View Post
Ball-park numbers, am I looking at a few hundred, or >$1000?
For new parts from the dealer, about $1000 + labor for non-power locks and $1500 + labor for power locks.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
Mongoose7

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Why do you want/need to re-key? Only because you lost one key? If that is the reason....maybe take it to a locksmith and have one pin changed in each lock cyclinder.

Last edited by Mongoose7; 09-19-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Mongoose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
rokmeamadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose7 View Post
Why do you want/need to re-key? Only because you lost one key? If that is the reason....maybe take it to a locksmith and have one pin changed in each lock cyclinder.
Sorry, I thought that's what rekeying was. What I meant was that I'd like for the old keys (two spares plus the one I'm missing) to not work on either door, hatch or the ignition.

I imagine getting a locksmith to do this would be the cheapest option, although I don't know enough about locks/locksmithing to know exactly how it will/can be done. I'm planning on calling a locksmith tomorrow, but I was hoping to get an estimate of how much this might run me.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Sorry, I thought that's what rekeying was. What I meant was that I'd like for the old keys (two spares plus the one I'm missing) to not work on either door, hatch or the ignition.

I imagine getting a locksmith to do this would be the cheapest option, although I don't know enough about locks/locksmithing to know exactly how it will/can be done. I'm planning on calling a locksmith tomorrow, but I was hoping to get an estimate of how much this might run me.
I'm not sure if the cylinders are removable for rekeying by a locksmith, so I was talking about the cost to replace the locks and ignition switch.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:27 PM   #8
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Considering that, physically, most cars brands only have a few dozen actual keys for each type of lock they make, I wouldn't bother unless my plate was written on the key. It will open hundreds of thousands of vehicles and start them right now as it is. Some repo guys have entire master key sets so they can cleanly open the cars.

The key is, frankly, only there to keep honest people honest. It takes a thief about 10 seconds, probably less, to steal a car without any key at all... Smash the window, unlock the door, hop in, use crowbar to break the steering lock (Didn't bring it? There's always the tire tools in the trunk, or just look for cars sporting the club... convenient...), and crack the ignition with a flathead screwdriver. If you're worried about theft, you need a Yaris with an engine immobilizer instead.

If you have a vehicle with the engine immobilizer, I wouldn't bother with a re-key. Just get new keys at Toyota, and (I assume this is possible?) have them delete the lost key from the immobilizer.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
billford
Banned

Drives: bmw
Quote:

It's long time now to post reply here but the thing you was going to do that time was right. Calling the locksmith will surely helped.
billford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 PM   #10
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Keep your insurance paid up and let them worry about the lost key.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
It takes a thief about 10 seconds, probably less, to steal a car without any key at all...you need a Yaris with an engine immobilizer instead.

If you have a vehicle with the engine immobilizer, I wouldn't bother with a re-key. Just get new keys at Toyota, and (I assume this is possible?) have them delete the lost key from the immobilizer.
this is mostly the correct answer. you would just go get your code changed on all the keys. if non-immobilizer, it would be cheaper to disable the vehicle via fuel, ignition, etc. than to replace keys/locks or even re-key pins. or installing a super fancy alarm system would be cheaper.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote