Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Micro Image/Golden Eagle Intake Manifold Review

I thought I'd add my own experience to the manifold reviews so people sitting on the fence with this purchase have something else to make their decision even more difficult.

Thanks to YW member fnkngrv for providing the contact to someone who was selling the manifold. Thanks to him I was just able to make the purchase fit my very limited budget.

The current engine based mods I have and have had before the MI intake manifold are:

DC header, TRD Short ram intake, MI lightweight pulley, secondary cat delete with 2.25" piping and aftermarket turbo exhaust to the back. 1ZZ throttle body.

I had a ported intake manifold (which I am selling here) before I installed the MI manifold so I am not comparing it to a full stock set up.

The most noticeable difference with the first drive was the re introduction of the low end torque that I once had. A while back when I had a mainly stock set up with just a DC header I had gained torque down low about 400-500rpm lower on the power band. With the addition of the SRI and the custom exhaust I lost any of the gains the header gave me, albeit with the very large gain in top end power right up to red line.

The MI manifold had not hurt any of my top end power but it has given me back my low end torque. I have not noticed much sound change in my exhaust, although since I have had my exhaust installed the tone has been slowly lowering which is great, I don't know if any of this really has to do with the manifold or not.

I have noticed a change in deepness of exhaust tone at very high rpms (~5k+) it just sounds plain mean now! But normal driving there isn't any difference.

Now with daily driving when I want to shift early to go easy on fuel, I can and the car still moves enough when I can easily shift below 2500 rpm and it's fine.

During hard pulls to red line the power is awesome. For the first time I actually got some front wheel chirp doing a hard 1st gear pull. It wasn't wet out and it wasn't because I dropped the clutch. I let the clutch go slowly how I normally would but then I floored it and for a good 3 seconds the front wheel would chirp every half second or so (not squeal as in fully lost traction). I was never able to make that happen before.

The car almost scared me a little at first when I gave it WOT in first and second because it pulls a lot harder now and I wasn't expecting it.

I cannot comment on fuel mileage change as I already get lower mileage in the winter due to crappy winter gas and my driving varies between conservative and hard depending on my mood. I just put on my winter tires as well so that will hurt mileage a bit. But after 1 full tank with the manifold there doesn't seem to be any change in mileage.

I have used my ultragauge to check fuel trims to make sure I had no vacuum leaks after the install and everything checked out. Short and long term trims are within a couple of percent to one another.

The install is relatively painless if you've done some work on your Yaris before and have a good amount of tools at your disposal. Give yourself an hour or so.

*careful that you don't scratch the manifold on the hood latch when installing* I did a little but since mine is brushed aluminum with no finish you can't tell and it's nothing serious.

I removed the TB from the stock manifold and then swapped the 3 threaded studs from stock manifold to the new one. I installed the TB out of the car and then installed the new manifold w/ the TB already on it to the engine.

Careful when placing the manifold into position, it will seem like it doesn't fit. It will fit in one specific way which you will eventually figure out by moving it around slightly. Just be careful not to jam anything and watch out for the dip stick.

I had to use extra fuel line hose I had for the coolant lines from when I did the TB swap. I can't remember the size but what ever coolant line size fits the TB, it's the same inner diameter size.

The large vacuum line from the PCV valve fits fine on the manifold but the vacuum line that comes from a hard metal line from the block is too short to reach the second vacuum port on the manifold and the vacuum line from the EGR valve is also too short to fit onto the 3rd vacum port on the manifold.

Just use longer vacuum hoses and you won't have a problem.

I had to flip around the coolant hose bracket and add a washer to the stud closest to the bumper. This allowed the top coolant hose to move more to the driver side and then stop rubbing on the intake runner. Otherwise the intake runner will likely eventually put a hole in your coolant line.

*keep in mind that this manifold I purchased was used and may have been a pre production model. It did not come with the spacer that Garm from MI was selling his with. I also haven't heard of anyone else having issues with the vacuum hose lengths. Since MI is no longer in business the only route to purchase a manifold is from Golden Eagle and I'm not sure of they send the manifold with a spacer to move the coolant line over or not. I am also not sure if they send theirs with longer vacuum hoses or not.

Is this manifold worth $750 USD? IMO no, or at least not until you have a ported stock manifold with a 1zz TB and then you get bored and want more. At that point it becomes worth it if you can save the cash because it is that much more performance and it looks damn nice.

Because you get a pretty good performance boost with a 1zz TB and a properly ported stock manifold, I'd recommend doing that all first and drive it hard for a bit. Then when you feel you want more go for the MI manifold to finish it all off. But to go for the manifold out the door, seems a little silly when the $750 could be spent on other things such as a header, 1zz TB and custom exhaust to pair with your virtually free ported manifold.

All in all I'm very happy with the manifold and its performance gains and I'm looking forward to pushing it a little harder this spring hopefully in some autox.

This gives you a close up of the vacuum hose that goes back to the engine block that I had to install because the stock one as too short.

You can see the upper rad hose is about 1-2cm away from the runner after i modified the hose mount to move it over. You can also see the two new black rubber hoses, one going to the EGR and one back to the engine block.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
The manifold looks great, its good you gained back your low end torque. How heavy is the new manifold vs stock?
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Good pick up buddy! Enjoy it, it is an awesome piece of equipment.

I dont get it though, so many people say they cant peel out with the Yaris without dumping the clutch. Ive peeled mine out so many times with no clutch dump, i thought they all did this...

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
tmontague

The MI manifold is no more than a few pounds heavier at most. It is surprisingly light.

I've still yet to dump the clutch, i'll try it a couple times before I install a new clutch and lw flywheel this summer. I think a lot of Yaris owners are afraid to push the pedal all the way to the floor. I know I used to be. I can make the tires chirp on a first gear pull a long as I go wot.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
In 1st gear while already in motion if I press all the way down I burn out till I let go. 1st to 2nd gear I chirp/spin a little. From a stand still it's easy to just burn the tires on mine.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Frank the Tank

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Where the manifold meets with the engine, does that need to be ported or does the manifold directly match up with it?

Would there be any benefit to porting that out?
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #7
tmontague

I can't see much benefit of porting that part out as the runners go straight into that part and the openings are the same size as the manifold tubing.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
Frank the Tank

Sorry for taking the thread in another direction but is it possible to use a 1zz manifold instead of porting out the stock 1nz manifold?
Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I'm sure it would be possible, but not without some custom fabrication work.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
tmontague

as a direct bolt on, not that is not an option. You'd have to fabricate a new mounting plate to fit into the intake ports of the 1nz and then cut off the old mounting plate of the 1zz and bend the tubing to fit the new mounting plate and then re weld. I believe YW member tooter did a couple of these back in the day.

I researched this quite a bit before I ported my stock manifold since I didn't have the cash at the time for a MI manifold. A ported stock manifold is a big improvement on performance if you have the 1zz TB.

If you don't want to do the port yourself then just buy mine that I'm selling right now. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55966
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Glad to hear the deal worked out for you

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
Sorry for taking the thread in another direction but is it possible to use a 1zz manifold instead of porting out the stock 1nz manifold?
I did.

Haven't been around here lately because I've been working on other projects. But there just might be something else Yaris oriented in the works...

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #13
Frank the Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I did.

Haven't been around here lately because I've been working on other projects. But there just might be something else Yaris oriented in the works...

Greg

What are the differences in performance numbers between the MI intake and the modded 1zz intake?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #14
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Don't believe there is any real data on that. They both change the power curve in different places as far as I understand.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:23 AM   #15
tooter
play every day

You're right, there isn't any reliable comparison because mine was tested on a Dynojet, and the other one was tested on a different brand dyno.

Greg
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
You're right, there isn't any reliable comparison because mine was tested on a Dynojet, and the other one was tested on a different brand dyno.

Greg
Tooter

I have your intake on my 1NZ-FE and I am considering doing the 2ZR swap that everyone is talking about.

..............if you had anyway of supplying a custom intake manifold for that setup (2zr in a Yaris), you could consider one sold to me

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #17
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
Tooter

I have your intake on my 1NZ-FE and I am considering doing the 2ZR swap that everyone is talking about.

..............if you had anyway of supplying a custom intake manifold for that setup (2zr in a Yaris), you could consider one sold to me

Will
Hmm...it's an idea...maybe a tC/xB 2AZ-FE intake manifold on a 2ZR-FE engine...

Unfortunately, I don't think a long runner style intake manifold was ever produced for the 2AZ-FE...
Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #18
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
Tooter

Will
Sorry, Will.
I'm not making any manifolds as I'm working on other projects.

Greg