Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #19
Tapokata

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Ok, trying to look through the corrosion on the upper strut in the first photo. The bushing appears to be blown, and both top nuts appear to be over tightened. You have 14 threads showing from the top of the second top nut. That's an inch, at least, when the preset distance from the top of the lower nut should be half of that. The excess clamp pressure didn't help the bushing life, and it also shortened the dampening stroke on the strut.. the low level banging you first heard when you installed the rear Tein shocks could be coming from this (I made the same error, not to the same degree, on the Bilstein's.. a bit of banging over bumps. Found that the distance was about 3/4"' likely when I over-torqued the nuts. When I checked and reset this distance to about 1/2" from the lower strut but, the noise went away).

The Tein coils appear to be adjustable. Not to sound like a heretic, you might consider loosening those up a bit, increasing the amount of spring dampening.
Tapokata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 AM   #20
stance

Drives: yaris
So i have two choice...

First i bought a rear strut bar to reduce the pression on each side or if the sound still there after i will install the strut ill jack the coilover for more space on the shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapokata View Post
Ok, trying to look through the corrosion on the upper strut in the first photo. The bushing appears to be blown, and both top nuts appear to be over tightened. You have 14 threads showing from the top of the second top nut. That's an inch, at least, when the preset distance from the top of the lower nut should be half of that. The excess clamp pressure didn't help the bushing life, and it also shortened the dampening stroke on the strut.. the low level banging you first heard when you installed the rear Tein shocks could be coming from this (I made the same error, not to the same degree, on the Bilstein's.. a bit of banging over bumps. Found that the distance was about 3/4"' likely when I over-torqued the nuts. When I checked and reset this distance to about 1/2" from the lower strut but, the noise went away).

The Tein coils appear to be adjustable. Not to sound like a heretic, you might consider loosening those up a bit, increasing the amount of spring dampening.
stance is offline   Reply With Quote