Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
DAM!. I would have loved to have had a AWD sedan!
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
KTS

Drives: Vitz RS
I recently saw two automatic 4wd transmissions locally and I am sure there are more.
KTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Actually from the parts diagrams it looks like the clutch is in the rear diff. Look up "Transfer assembly" here:
http://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dly...5-ahpgk-423043

T-case is just a simple ring and pinion, no center diff. All the slippage happens in the "Coupling assembly" which I assume is either a viscous clutch, or a tiny multi-disc clutch. Could be either or both if it has a lockup.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #22
Swing

Drives: Yaris P1, MR2 mk1, 4x4 Hiace
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Actually from the parts diagrams it looks like the clutch is in the rear diff. Look up "Transfer assembly" here:
http://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dly...5-ahpgk-423043

T-case is just a simple ring and pinion, no center diff. All the slippage happens in the "Coupling assembly" which I assume is either a viscous clutch, or a tiny multi-disc clutch. Could be either or both if it has a lockup.
Where can I find this Coupling assembly in the parts system?

If you lookup "Transfer assembly" then you just get the outside of the transfer case. (which is indeed only ring and pinion, no diff)
Swing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #23
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Look up the rear differential. It's in there.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Where can I find this Coupling assembly in the parts system?

If you lookup "Transfer assembly" then you just get the outside of the transfer case. (which is indeed only ring and pinion, no diff)
The rear diff is: 41301-52100, which is the same rear diff as the 2008 US market RAV4. Even the entire assembly (41110-52010) is identical to the 08 Rav4.

The coupling for the RAV4 is different though. The RAV4 used an electromagnetic coupler allowing the rear drive to be disengaged. The NCP95 Vitz used a viscous coupler with no option for disengagement.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #25
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
make a list :P yaris4(wd) for CTScott
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:31 AM   #26
Swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The rear diff is: 41301-52100, which is the same rear diff as the 2008 US market RAV4. Even the entire assembly (41110-52010) is identical to the 08 Rav4.

The coupling for the RAV4 is different though. The RAV4 used an electromagnetic coupler allowing the rear drive to be disengaged. The NCP95 Vitz used a viscous coupler with no option for disengagement.
Ok I see it now.

I could not find it because I was checking the rear diff of a first gen Vitz 4wd, it does not have this coupling assembly in the rear. It may have something funny around the prop shaft, but I'm not sure if that's a coupling assembly (it's not called that way)
So it is a bit unclear on the first gen Vitz.

But for the automatic gen 2 Vitz 4wd I see the coupling assembly.
ALso the gen 3.

But the gen 3 has to button to lockup the middle (see previous page youtube), so I would assume it is an electromagnetic coupler (at least in the gen 3) instead of viscous.

And to mee it still seems if it takes the power from the left front driveshaft. So (without LSD) it would mean that if the right front wheel is loosing traction and spinning, the rest of the wheel wouldn't get any power?
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 AM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok I see it now.

I could not find it because I was checking the rear diff of a first gen Vitz 4wd, it does not have this coupling assembly in the rear. It may have something funny around the prop shaft, but I'm not sure if that's a coupling assembly (it's not called that way)
So it is a bit unclear on the first gen Vitz.

But for the automatic gen 2 Vitz 4wd I see the coupling assembly.
ALso the gen 3.

But the gen 3 has to button to lockup the middle (see previous page youtube), so I would assume it is an electromagnetic coupler (at least in the gen 3) instead of viscous.

And to mee it still seems if it takes the power from the left front driveshaft. So (without LSD) it would mean that if the right front wheel is loosing traction and spinning, the rest of the wheel wouldn't get any power?
Not off the front left, but rather off the ring gear of the outside of the front diff. The front diff is just the normal front diff with a modified housing for that portion of the tranny.

Correct on the 3rd gen - It does look like they added the electric lockup.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:05 AM   #28
Swing

Quote:
Not off the front left, but rather off the ring gear of the outside of the front diff. The front diff is just the normal front diff with a modified housing for that portion of the tranny.
Ok I can't see that from the partssystem, but that sounds more credible. Otherwise it would be a worthless system.
Maybe this part 41319-52011 (3rd gen Vitz) in fact turns around the driveshaft but is not connected to the driveshaft? (because it is connected to the front diff housing/ring)

So they can have a different speed, even though it looks like one axle.

Quote:
Correct on the 3rd gen - It does look like they added the electric lockup.
Ok, so you say that the 2nd has viscous coupling. I can believe that, but it is really hard to say from the parts catalogue (the coupling assembly really looks the same as the 3rd gen with electric coupling)

On the 1st gen there might be something funny in the propshaft, but it could just be some holder for a bearing. So I'm not sure how that one works.

To be honest I still think all generations have an electric coupling assembly with a button, but I could be very wrong about it

Any setup using viscous coupling could be nice for high power awd (like a Celica GT4).
A fixed electromagnetic coupling is nice for dirt roads, not nice for high power awd (it isn't even awd anymore, it would be parttime 4x4 then). But it would be nice to have it fixed into a rear wheel drive Yaris.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #29
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok I can't see that from the partssystem, but that sounds more credible. Otherwise it would be a worthless system.
Maybe this part 41319-52011 (3rd gen Vitz) in fact turns around the driveshaft but is not connected to the driveshaft? (because it is connected to the front diff housing/ring)

So they can have a different speed, even though it looks like one axle.

Ok, so you say that the 2nd has viscous coupling. I can believe that, but it is really hard to say from the parts catalogue (the coupling assembly really looks the same as the 3rd gen with electric coupling)

On the 1st gen there might be something funny in the propshaft, but it could just be some holder for a bearing. So I'm not sure how that one works.

To be honest I still think all generations have an electric coupling assembly with a button, but I could be very wrong about it

Any setup using viscous coupling could be nice for high power awd (like a Celica GT4).
A fixed electromagnetic coupling is nice for dirt roads, not nice for high power awd (it isn't even awd anymore, it would be parttime 4x4 then). But it would be nice to have it fixed into a rear wheel drive Yaris.
The 2nd gen was definitely not switchable. I seriously looked into importing the parts from one to convert a US one back in late 2009, but abandoned the idea when I found out that the chassis was different (tunnel) and that you had to also import the entire AT, as the transfer case assembly is custom fit to it at the factory.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #30
Dieselking

Drives: 07 1,4d diesel
Try looking for parts for the Toyota Urban Cruiser (europeean version of the Scion XD)

they are mostly AWD, and all parts can be used on Yaris!

To answer the question about engaging rear diff, look at the front of the rear diff housing.
There is a bolted on multiplate coupling, activated electrically, and only when needed, and never over 40? km per hour.
Dieselking is offline   Reply With Quote