Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Transmission Filter

Mods....please feel free to move this if need be.

Probably not new info for a lot of you. But I've been out of the Yaris loop for a few years now.

Did a tranny service on my daughter's '10 LB. With 126k on the clock, I figured it was due. I don't believe it's ever been done. The fluid, though dark, had a fair amount of pink to it still. I was very pleased that the pan was as clean inside as it was. Even the magnets had very little on them.

WS is fine fluid. But Valvoline MaxLife is OTC and $5 a quart and is an excellent substitute for it.

No issues at all. I plan to do a 2nd DAF next week.

For those interested: Most auto parts stores carry the service kit. I bought mine at NAPA for $19. It includes the filter, o-ring and pan gasket. I also grabbed 3 crush washers for the drain plug. Only 69 cents each.

Kit part # 1-4268
Crush washer part # ATM-PB2403

Last edited by Billiam; 01-27-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Billiam

rsz_120180126_222004.jpg
Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Did you do a full flush? If so, what gear do you put it in, to turn on the pump in the transmission?

I had the dealership do it at 100k miles. Thinking of doing it myself next time to save $220. But I gotta make sure I get all the old fluid out of the torque converter too.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:25 AM   #4
Billiam

No, I didn't actually flush it. I dropped the pan and changed the filter on the 1st drain and fill. A few days later I did a 2nd DAF and a few days after that a 3rd.

That seems to have netted me mostly new fluid. In checking the level the color is bright pink

Last edited by Billiam; 02-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
A full flush is pretty easy to do once you locate the transmission cooler. You just unhook both of the lines and then you start the engine, and put it in whatever gear it is that engages the pump. Once you see the fluid pumping into your bucket, you start slowly adding fluid down the dipstick hole.

You just need to know how many quarts the transmission holds. Once you've poured that many quarts in, you know you are done and you turn the car off. I can't remember what the dealer charged me for, it was high, something like 12 quarts.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
A full flush is pretty easy to do once you locate the transmission cooler. You just unhook both of the lines and then you start the engine, and put it in whatever gear it is that engages the pump. Once you see the fluid pumping into your bucket, you start slowly adding fluid down the dipstick hole.

You just need to know how many quarts the transmission holds. Once you've poured that many quarts in, you know you are done and you turn the car off. I can't remember what the dealer charged me for, it was high, something like 12 quarts.
Yes...I agree. It's not difficult. But there's some evidence that flushing a high mileage tranny can dislodge contaminants and cause issues. If this transmission was at...say 50k miles...then yes, I probably would have flushed it.

As it stands....I'm perfectly satisfied with what I've netted with 3 DAFs and a filter change

Last edited by Billiam; 02-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I used the same drain and fill process as Billiam. On my 06, I didn't change the filter but did 3 drain and fills. On my 08, I did one drain and fill, drove a bit, then dropped the pan and replaced the filter. I then did two more drain and fills. I used Toyota WS. When I initially called Toyota, they said there is no need to change the filter. Their shop service is simply drain and fill - once. At least this was the approach at the nearest Toyota dealership. Maybe other dealers have a different way of doing it.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Billiam

Just an update. It's been a few weeks since the tranny service, which was a total of 3 drain and fills along with a pan drop and filter change. Valvoline MaxLife fluid was used.

Transmission is operating great.