Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
elthong
elthong

Drives: YARIS 2014
AC not blowing cold air

hi guys! just a newbie here asking some help or tips from you.

i have a yaris 2014 model. early of september 2017 my AC start of having problems of not blowing cold air. a couple of days later i brought my car to shop and told the mechanics there about the problem. he start checking the pipes for he thinks that there are leaks on it but he found nothing, then he check the Freon ( refrigerant) and he told me that the refrigerant is low and needs only to add or refill. a minute later, it works the AC blows cold air.

then, yesterday while driving home i found the same problem again. i brought to the shop immediately telling the problem just like before. they just refill the refrigerant again and told me that after a couple of months i may be facing the same problem. the mechanics told me to change the EVAPORATOR for sure. do you think EVAPORATOR is causing the problem?

did you experience like this guys?

thanks a lot!

Last edited by elthong; 01-29-2018 at 05:31 AM.
elthong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Yes you have a leak. They can put dye and show you the leak.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/...99s-ac-system/
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Either they can put UV dye in and identify the leak or you can take it to a better garage which has a sniffer. It can detect refrigerant leaking and bleeps so the leak can be identified. Sounds like it should be fairly noticeable.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I don't know how them became so confident it is the evaporator if they cannot find the leak. Unless it is because they can find no leak so they assume it is under the dash at the evaporator.

Evaps are a pita and expensive to replace if you don't do it yourself. I'd either find a mechanic with a sniffer or use the due with uv light to really ensure the leak isn't under the hood
Old 02-04-2018, 02:53 AM   #6
elthong
elthong

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
Either they can put UV dye in and identify the leak or you can take it to a better garage which has a sniffer. It can detect refrigerant leaking and bleeps so the leak can be identified. Sounds like it should be fairly noticeable.

yeah i will take it to other shop i will just wait till my a/c will blows warm air again... thanks you!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #7
elthong
elthong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I don't know how them became so confident it is the evaporator if they cannot find the leak. Unless it is because they can find no leak so they assume it is under the dash at the evaporator.

Evaps are a pita and expensive to replace if you don't do it yourself. I'd either find a mechanic with a sniffer or use the due with uv light to really ensure the leak isn't under the hood

yeah exactly they assumed the evaporator will be the problem coz they find nothing leak on the pipe. anyway, my a/c working better now. but just yesterday i notice there's a bad smell coming, it smells like a dust.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:07 AM   #8
elthong
elthong

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
Yes you have a leak. They can put dye and show you the leak.

no leak, they check already but found nothing. that's why the assume the problem is the evaporator.