Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
2009 Yaris Timing Belt or Chain?

And also, Interference or non interference engine? A lot of Toyotas seem to be non interference engines.

Just wondering.

Side question, Since you CAN design an engine to be non-interference, why would anyone ever NOT do that?
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Timing chain. They can design them to be noninterference but the engine might have issues meeting emissions as the notches required in the pistons might mess with the combustion process. Might even be more prone to spark knock too. There's a lot of science in these new engines.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009

There is a really really small amount of engines that does not interfere with the pistons in case the timing chain brakes.
But anyway our timing chain is good and it can last reaaally Long without need replacement.
Unlike group vag with the 1.2 and 1.4 tsi engines 50.000 and u need a new timing chain kit

I don’t know if my 1NR-FE dual vvti eurospec engine interferes or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I would imagine in US, Japanese and Euro markets that Toyota have switched to almost entirely interference engines to squeeze 1-2% better fuel economy and emissions out of them. I know the belt driven GR engines (The V6 unit) in the 90's and early 00's were none interference but later versions did away with it.

All the Yaris engines I know of. 1KR, 1SZ, 2SZ, 1NZ, 1ND, 2ZR are all chain driven engines.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
Just wondering.

Side question, Since you CAN design an engine to be non-interference, why would anyone ever NOT do that?
If you want a more efficient and powerful NA engine then it will run interference if the owner decided to forgo changing a timing belt at the scheduled interval.

Building an engine to not be an interference type would make for a sub par performing engine with low compression for the only purpose of letting owners neglect car maintenance and lead to as little damage as possible.

This is why there are so few non interference engines in modern cars.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
But anyway our timing chain is good and it can last reaaally Long without need replacement.
How long is really long? Should it be replaced at say... 300k miles? I remember on some of the old 90's model american cars, the chains would eventually stretch and need to be replaced. It was usually around 150k miles.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I would imagine in US, Japanese and Euro markets that Toyota have switched to almost entirely interference engines to squeeze 1-2% better fuel economy and emissions out of them. I know the belt driven GR engines (The V6 unit) in the 90's and early 00's were none interference but later versions did away with it.

All the Yaris engines I know of. 1KR, 1SZ, 2SZ, 1NZ, 1ND, 2ZR are all chain driven engines.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

And 1NR-FE which is the 1.33 L dual vvti engine

Old 02-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
miiser

And 1NR-FE which is the 1.33 L dual vvti engine

Also I thing that all the non-interfere engines were build with collaboration with Yamaha.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
How long is really long? Should it be replaced at say... 300k miles? I remember on some of the old 90's model american cars, the chains would eventually stretch and need to be replaced. It was usually around 150k miles.

I think that 150k miles is a fair amount of miles that the chain can handle. Always depends on the driver tho. Hard accelerations and cold starts without letting the engine warm up, might damage the chain a lot faster

Old 02-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Maintenance is key. Members have gone 400k miles with the same chain here.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #11
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Maintenance is key. Members have gone 400k miles with the same chain here.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I agree. With decent maintainance and a little luck the average Toyota chain will outlive the engine. At least on the smaller 4 cylinder units.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I would imagine that you would have vvt codes (caused be a loose chain) way before it breaks.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
I would imagine that you would have vvt codes (caused be a loose chain) way before it breaks.
Agreed, or at least some time of cel related to the timing being off. Chains typically don't break they just stretch and cause issues that way.

Fwiw, my old '02 Echo had 375k km on it when I pulled the timing cover to do the head gasket for shits and giggles. I never bothered replacing the chain since everything was still functioning and looked great. Ran fine for another 10k km before we bought a new used car that was big enough to comfortably for a stroller
Old 02-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
interference for 1NZ-FE. Toyota Yaris piston valve.

So far, seems to be guessing on interference for 1NZ-FE. Toyota Yaris piston valve.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
interference/non-interference comes down to cost of materials and engine performance. the difference between having the piston TDC 25mm shorter distance (increasing the combustion chamber size) and maintaining the same compression ratio will require addition of stroke to the crank. adding stroke is going to increase rod ratio. increasing rod ratio results in a longer duration of TDC. longer duration of TDC with increased rod ratio results in torque increase, but lowers the torque curve and over all engine speed, which also lowers horse power.
basically, the smaller the combustion chamber, the faster an engine can perform/turn. the smaller the rod ratio, the less materials have to be used. the less materials used, the lighter/cheaper the engine.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Very good to know. At least it is a chain and not a belt. Had to change the belt in my wife's subaru and cost me $1,600. And that has to be done every 110k miles. I'm headed close to 100k in the yaris and was worried about belt/chain and if I could let it snap or not. hehe
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #17
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
wow. you sure did git ripped off. did they remove the heads too? if it was just the belt it should only about half that... (even a quad-cam)
at 100,000 you should think about water pump replacement, drive belt replacement. that's about it assuming you've done trans fluid and spark plugs already. if not, those too. take a peek at brake pads, maybe brake fluid? (i do it every 2 years)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #18
jess

Drives: 09 hatchback
I have an 09 hatchback manual.
Years ago a dealership advised my timing belt was showing "small cracks" so best to replace it now.

Oops, timing chain not belt.

Liar liar!

200k later no roadside emergency.

Though it is time to replace the fan belt.
jess is offline   Reply With Quote