Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Fuel gauge says 1/4 but tank is empty

After breaking down on the highway and towed to mechanic... Mechanic called to tell me my fuel tank is empty even though the fuel gauge says 1/4 tank.

charged me $180 to tell me that (not fix the gauge). Wanted to replace sender and fuel pump but was not sure how much that would be. I told him I would just remember how often to fill up.

Anything I can look for/check on as an easy fix that would not require replacing sender? Something a novice tinkerer could check for?

I have reciently been putting the dash apart a couple times to replace radio. Could this have caused anything? Also wired in backup camera to reverse light.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I think over the years it has been reported a couple times this same issue. I believe every instance was a hiccup and sender resumed working properly. Best carry on with life, just keep an eye on the distance you are travelling on a tank. If you end up driving further than you think you should be before blinking light, then probably do have an issue.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

just got back from picking up my car from the mechanic and stopped to fill up at gas station. Now gas gauge says full. Guess it started working again?

Expensive hiccup.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Toyota fuel tank sender unit gauge

What does reading full with a full tank have to do with reading 1/4 when empty?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
A few years ago my guage started to act up. There was a suggestion on another thread to put fuel cleaner in the next couple tanks of gas. It worked.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
What does reading full with a full tank have to do with reading 1/4 when empty?
It at least proves that the sender is still functioning somewhat. Not just stuck at 1/4.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I wonder if a baffle is floating around cause the arm to get stuck.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

It's interesting that you say that. I noticed today that I hear very audible sloshing of gas that I know I never heard before. I wonder if that is the case. Is it ok to live with sloshing sound or is it a must fix / replace gas tank thing?

Old 02-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #9
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
just got back from picking up my car from the mechanic and stopped to fill up at gas station. Now gas gauge says full. Guess it started working again?

Expensive hiccup.
So.... what did the mechanic do to your car? Are you really sure your tank was empty? If he was wrong or feeding you a line of BS in an effort to drum up some work, that could explain why the gas gauge all of a sudden is working showing full.....when you actually know it is full.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
In my experience, if you fill up the tank, the sensor shows more accurate percent of the fuel. It’s like it gets calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Given what it would cost to drop the tank, open it up and replace the fuel sender unit i'd wait until you really do need to have it done when your fuel pump dies (which probably won't be while you own the car). Just keep an eye on the odometer or set the trip when you fill the tank. I generally do about 380 miles between refills on my Yaris.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I think the yaris has a fuel pump access hole.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:11 AM   #13
vivalaflam
Enthusiast

Drives: 07 Yaris HB 1.3 (EU)
Hi, I have the same issue. If you take the back seats off, there's a hole from which you can access the fuel level part. Since it costs much here, I decided to just keep an eye on the distance I do in every fill I make. I know that if I have 4 (exactly when the 4th line lights up) I have around 230-240km until the gauge would flash normally. What mine does is that it shows levels above 2 lines. It wont go below that. Take the fuel level sender off the tank (under the back seats) leave it plugged in, and play with it, check with the ignition on what levels it can show. Best of luck :)
Old 02-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #14
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
The gas gauge on these cars isnt all that accurate even with a proper working sending unit. IMO the shop overcharged you. Even if you did need to replace the sending unit, it isnt that expensive from toyota online.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #15
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

All the shop did was try to start the car with some kind of spray stuff and it ran using that. So they checked the tank and it was empty. They then called me and said "we put 5 gallons of gas in it and the gauge didn't change so something is wrong. Do you want us to try and figure it out?" I said no, I will just fill it up now and then. They then said "OK, that will be $130 for 'diagnostic services' and the gas."

I'm never towing my car to another Firestone, no matter how much AAA says they are "approved". $130 to tell me my gas tank is empty is a load of crap.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
im pretty sure there was a thread either on here or microimage about "cleaning" the sending unit. cant find it now but ive been out of it for a while now
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #17
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
After breaking down on the highway and towed to mechanic... Mechanic called to tell me my fuel tank is empty even though the fuel gauge says 1/4 tank.

charged me $180 to tell me that (not fix the gauge). Wanted to replace sender and fuel pump but was not sure how much that would be. I told him I would just remember how often to fill up.

Anything I can look for/check on as an easy fix that would not require replacing sender? Something a novice tinkerer could check for?

I have reciently been putting the dash apart a couple times to replace radio. Could this have caused anything? Also wired in backup camera to reverse light.
Crazy. When I drove my Yaris off the lot back in October 2007, the same issue came up with mine within a few days. Brought it into Toyota and it was fixed within a few hours. After that.. the OE headunit kept eating my CDs.

Well that's my story of all the problems I've ever had with this car. lol.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #18
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
what is member "unie01?"

New Posts search list just now says there are 17 replies ahead of this one by me. With the prior being:
"Today 12:01 PM
by unie01 Go to last post"
(same thing happened once before w/ same member...is it a ghost bot? or, is anyone else seeing such a post?)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote