Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
mmccaugh

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Engine Swap Question on 2009 Yaris

I have a 2009 Yaris I need to replace the motor in as it ran dry of oil, and then blew up. I honestly don't know how, I only found out it had been acting up once it was on a tow truck.

Looking at more inexpensive replacement motors it looks like it might be worth the money to fix, but looking at the work of replacing it I was trying to determine how much time realistically the swap should take so I know if shops are quoting realistic labor numbers or padding.

I understand +/- a percentage to account for snapped bolts etc.. But am just curious what a realistic number is for this work that I can press people to meet without being unreasonable, it may end up simply not making sense to fix but I want to make an educated decision.

It's been more than 20 years since I worked in an engine compartment, and I'm a lot less flexible now so not really looking to do it myself if I can help it!
mmccaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris blown engine repair or part out rust corrosion salt

It varies depending on which part of "Earth" that Yaris has been. Some parts have bathed it in Sodium Chloride and Calcium Chloride for about 1/3 of its life. Others present none of this, and only rain on it a couple times a year.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
mmccaugh

This one has spent the majority of it's life in Indiana.

Nothing too harsh, and the frame is in pretty good shape, no rust etc.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
mmccaugh

Note the "Location" was because I was registering and wasn't aware Location was required, so when it kicked me back I was a bit irritated to have to type a second captcha so I was being a bit cheeky.

Didn't realize it was right on my post until your reply.

Honestly I swear to god I think bots read the captcha images easier than humans most of the time.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'm not sure the book time that will be quoted for the job but a competent diy'er could do a swap in a weekend so say around 20 hrs start to finish.

A competent shop probably between 8 and 15 hrs. With a recycled engine I'd assume it would be around $1-2k USD. Depends on how badly that shop needs the job as well as their experience with a yaris, shop around
Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
mmccaugh

Thanks!

I'm being told the motor is locked up (It turns a little but it's struggling) and I guess that vastly complicates things.

I'm having one more shop take a look, if they come in really high my last ditch is checking my local college which runs an auto program, and seeing if they want to take it on as a class project, or worst case attempting it myself (As if I completely fuck it up I'm still pretty much in the same position of junking it)

I'm going to pick up a repair manual, my last time touching an engine that was outside a car was 20 years ago though, so I'm going to assume some things have changed, but as best I can tell they still run on gas and have more or less the same basic parts so who knows I may be able to figure it out.

If nothing else my kids will hear a lot of swearing coming from the garage.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The yaris has a pretty simple engine. Swapping in the same engine as you're pulling out is not too bad. Having a repair manual will go a long way in making the guessing parts much simpler.

You can also remove and reconnect the trans with the engine out which will makes things simpler. Essentially just diconnect any wires and hoses attatched to the engine and then support it. Once that's good you can start disconnecting motor mounts and slowly raise the engine and check for any connectors you forgot.

I'm realizing as I'm typing this that it would be easier to keep the harness on the engine as you pull it. Just disconnect it from the ecu and fuse box.

Take a lot of pictures or label anything you disconnect and always re check everything