Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
DIY high-flow intake for $43.00

Here’s an option for a high flow (well, at least higher flow) intake that doesn’t cost too much money. It’s simple to complete. It basically consists of drilling large holes in the factory air-box and putting a high flow filter in place of the factory filter.

Tools needed:
- K&N Filter number: 33-2360, $43
-10mm socket, wrench, and long extension
-Hole saw: I used 2 inch and 1 inch
-Drill
-Round file
-Small flat head screwdriver

Steps:
1.Remove the top of the factory air-box by disconnecting the MAF and loosening the intake hose clamp. Pull out the old filter and discard.

2.Remove the two 10mm bolts holding the lower section of the air-box. The MAF wire bundle is also connected to the lower section. Disconnecting it is easy with a small flat head screwdriver.

3.Remove factory silencer tube and drill holes as you see fit in the lower section ONLY. The more holes and the larger they are mean the higher flow you’ll achieve.

4.File the holes smooth.

5.Reinstall everything with the new filter.

By opening up the factory air-box the air isn’t forced to flow through the constrictive factory silencer tube. In addition the higher flow filter decreases resistance. You can feel the result and it sounds excellent with a nice low growl. Watch Chino’s DIY intake video as it sounds identical. Also, there’s no chance of a CEL as the factory MAF mount is retained. For $43 it’s a descent intake, but probably not as good as Chino's is going to be.

Almost forgot; for those wanting to retain that factory look this is perfect because the holes are totally out of sight.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
it look like swiss cheese
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Ahhhh- the old LS1 airbox mod- but circular.

It may not be a huge gainer, but your hp/$ is better than anyone with a manufactured short ram-well, except ChinoCharles, with his fancy-assed homemade rig.

Looks like a winner!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
[FR] Sébastien Loeb
www.sebastienloeb.com

Drives: Citroën C4 & TOYOTA Yaris
Ouch
Old 03-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeah, what can I say... I'm a baller.

No, actually the first thing I did was similar to what Peter did, although mine was more "I can't take it anymore" and less "I'm going to be careful about this."

One thing... you are going to have to change that filter A LOT!

A LOT A LOT A LOT!

I drove on mine for 3 days and the filter was easily three times as dirty as it looked after 13,000 miles. Seriously, pull that thing once a week and blow it out.

And one thing... calling it a high flow intake is kind of silly. I know, I know, you said it kind of tongue-in-cheek, but the worst part about the entire intake IMO is that ribbed tube near the TB. That sucker needs to GO!

The only things that should be ribbed are condoms and supermodels.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-17-2007 at 09:09 PM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
One thing... you are going to have to change that filter A LOT! A LOT A LOT A LOT!...

...the worst part about the entire intake IMO is that ribbed tube near the TB. That sucker needs to GO!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the filter can't become dirty any faster than a CAI or a short ram intake like the one your making. In all three cases the filter is directly exposed to the elements. A tapered cone type filter like yours has more surface area, yes, but not a substantial amount leading to an increase in dirt holding compacity. Also, the ribbed rubber part is not restrictive as it's the same diameter as the throttle body. Maybe a little less smooth flowing but thats what you get for $43.00 It still improved HP; My wife noticed my car was faster today and she doesn't even know I did it.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

First, I have no idea why those air box filters get so dirty so fast, but they do. I've seen it! Maybe someone can explain, but honestly I see where you're coming from and it is kind of counterintuitive. If you don't believe me, drive around on that air box for a week and pull it out. You'll see what I mean.

Second, I'd bet you'll notice a difference again if you replace that little tube with something smooth. Give it a shot... it'll cost you all of 5 bucks.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #8
PetersRedYaris

I'm not heckling you... i just curious... Was it your factory filter? I did the same thing to my Tacoma (also with a K&N) and never had a problem in over 3 years. My Tacoma saw far dirtier roads than my Yaris ever will; it was taken to Mexico twice on trips down the Baja penninsula.

I actually like the rubber intake tube because I like to retain the factory position of the smaller rubber tube. Plus, the motor has so much movment with the stock engine mounts you NEED somthing with flex between it and the airbox.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #9
ChinoCharles
Banned

Yes'm, but why would that matter? If anything the K&N should filter better than that and get dirtier faster, no? Then again, maybe I'm just overestimating the amount of dirt because the stock filter is white.

... and then again, maybe I'm just <chapelle voice>smokin' rocks</chapelle voice>.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
PetersRedYaris

That was my thought... White filter = dirt is very visible. Then again, purple filter = harder to see dirt. Who knows? I gonna stick with it awhile and if all else fails, Buy yours!

Last thought, I'll post a pic in a month and we'll see how dirty it is.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I wonder if you could route some tubing from those holes to some fresh air? Maybe a small amount of cold air or ram air effect?
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I wonder if you could route some tubing from those holes to some fresh air? Maybe a small amount of cold air or ram air effect?
It would have been much easier to route just one hose from the silencer tube before the box was drilled... Oh well, too late now! I'm happy with it now because, provided the filter doesn't get dirty abnormally fast, I really felt a difference on my commute today.

Last edited by PetersRedYaris; 03-19-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
did this a loooong time ago. does make quite the difference, but i didnt hack or swiss cheese mine like chino and peter did.. no need to imo. Two 2" holes drilled on the end of the box facing the driver side headlight is all that was needed.

Another trick is to remove (cut with a razor) the charcole filter out of the top section of the air box.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #14
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Another trick is to remove (cut with a razor) the charcole filter out of the top section of the air box.
I didn't think about that, but I'm going to leave my charcoal filter in place to make sure no oil gets in to my MAF sensor. Sort of a filter for my oiled filter.

Last edited by PetersRedYaris; 03-19-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
where did you buy your filter??
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #16
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2dailly View Post
where did you buy your filter??
http://www.knfilters.com/

You can buy it straight from them or check to see local stores that can order it for you.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #17
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
I did something similar. I removed the tuner tube, and instead of cutting several small holes, I used a cut off wheel to open the entire front of the intake box.

So facing the radiator where the cold air is comming in there is a large square hole. Sounds like a intake now.

I normally put intakes on, but I have had bad luck in the past with MAF sensors and AIT sensors not liking them on close to stock cars, more headache than its worth on a 100hp daily driver. At least it sounds good now.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #18
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
ordered my filter yesterday. should be here tomorrow and i am going to go pick up a dremel tool and do what spades did
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote