Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The filter is not around it - It is mounted into the block below it. The 1ZZs have two, where the 1NZs just have one. The leaking issue above is either a bad o-ring or a dented valve assembly.
Thanks, is it possible to clean the filter/screen on a 1nz? I'll have to clean the oil around it and see if it comes back again or stays clean. I may be in the same boat at the op.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Thanks, is it possible to clean the filter/screen on a 1nz? I'll have to clean the oil around it and see if it comes back again or stays clean. I may be in the same boat at the op.
The filter only costs a couple of dollars, but if you remove it you can easily clean it with degreaser. The filter is very fine mesh with a plastic support frame.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #21
tmontague

And I'm assuming it is accessible to remove once the OCV is removed, or would one need to remove the valve cover?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Again, it is "below" the OCV. You can remove it with or without removing the OCV.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Looks like CT is talking about the parts in circle 1, the OCV itself is in circle 2.
Attached Images
File Type: png OCV filter.PNG (271.2 KB, 58 views)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #24
tmontague

Thanks for that, makes it a little more clear
Old 12-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #25
duendeverde

Drives: Yaris 2010 Manual
Quote:
The filter is not around it - It is mounted into the block below it. The 1ZZs have two, where the 1NZs just have one. The leaking issue above is either a bad o-ring or a dented valve assembly.
I just noticed that the oil that was dripping from the pcv valve reached A/C compressor, actually it passed through the alternator until it reached the compressor near the belt. Can it be affected both the compressor and alternator? I'm going to take out the front bumper to have a clear look this saturday
duendeverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by duendeverde View Post
I just noticed that the oil that was dripping from the pcv valve reached A/C compressor, actually it passed through the alternator until it reached the compressor near the belt. Can it be affected both the compressor and alternator? I'm going to take out the front bumper to have a clear look this saturday
The compressor is sealed, so other than making the clutch slip it would not have an effect. The alternator is wide open, but it should not effect anything, other than maybe burning off a bit.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #27
duendeverde

Quote:
The compressor is sealed, so other than making the clutch slip it would not have an effect. The alternator is wide open, but it should not effect anything, other than maybe burning off a bit.
Mmmm ok, kind of ought :/

Today, I was parked for about 1-2 hour inside the car with the a/c on and the a/c for some reason the output of air was 2 low and the temperature was warm. When I got home and checked under the hood, the oil that was leaking from the ocv valve reached the top of the alternator near the pulley
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #28
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by duendeverde View Post
Mmmm ok, kind of ought :/

Today, I was parked for about 1-2 hour inside the car with the a/c on and the a/c for some reason the output of air was 2 low and the temperature was warm. When I got home and checked under the hood, the oil that was leaking from the ocv valve reached the top of the alternator near the pulley
I have heard other Yaris owners state that the a/c while no moving does not work nearly as well. I have yet to be stopped long enough (nor do I run my a/c enough) to notice this myself, but something to think about depending on how warm the air was coming out and how hot the ambient temp was of the outside air.

As a side note. After 150km of driving since I cleaned off the oil on the outside of the OCV it has yet to build back up. Likely it was just there from when my valve cover became loose. With that said if your's is leaking that much then definitely change it out as soon as you can as it's obviously damaged to be leaking that bad.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #29
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I have heard other Yaris owners state that the a/c while no moving does not work nearly as well. I have yet to be stopped long enough (nor do I run my a/c enough) to notice this myself, but something to think about depending on how warm the air was coming out and how hot the ambient temp was of the outside air.

As a side note. After 150km of driving since I cleaned off the oil on the outside of the OCV it has yet to build back up. Likely it was just there from when my valve cover became loose. With that said if your's is leaking that much then definitely change it out as soon as you can as it's obviously damaged to be leaking that bad.
Yep, just bought a couple of hours ago the OCV valve, In Puerto Rico temperatures fluctuates between 80-95 not very helpful LOL I'm gonna try and do a DIY of changing the OCV for purposes of Yaris Forum
Old 12-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #30
duendeverde

Quick update:

I changed today the OCV valve and guess what? It was broken in half and another surprise, it was sealed with a strong "industrial" sealant in the middle of the OCV valve