Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #19
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
I'm wondering why the US lcd has more pins....
Maybe it's because the US unit has a service interval indicator and the Canadian version doesn't.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #20
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriswald
Maybe it's because the US unit has a service interval indicator and the Canadian version doesn't.
That's not on the LCD itself, I think he's referring to the LCD panels themselves.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #21
tiksman

Drives: 07 Red Hatch
Yes the lcd panels themselfs. Let me get this correct for everyone. THe clusters have a small sub micro board that runs the cluster it unplugs from the guage board. This board houses the odo readout. When I took the CDN board off and installed my US board in the CDN cluster the display was blank. So it was clear something was diff on the CDN to US CBA. When I swapped IC12 the EEprom ,the cdn board is now working in the us cluster and US cba in the CDN cluster. Both Show the same miles and KM reading. My original US cluster still shows 1702 my original miles and the CDN still 3771 KM. The only DIff is now the sub boards are swapped and the eeproms are too. I have talked with a shop that program miles int replacement clusters and they say they may be able to program the CDN cluster to read miles !!!!!
I will keep everone posted on that. Anyone know of a place to contact to get a new overlay made??
tiksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #22
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiksman
.......... Anyone know of a place to contact to get a new overlay made??
I would check in your yellow pages for a metal shop and just have them make you one out of alum. As i think its still to early for aftermarket gauge cluster faceplates to be avail... although i havent checked.

good luck.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #23
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
How much was the CDN cluster anyway? Not cheap I'm guessing.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:24 PM   #24
paultyler_82

good man, tiksman! That's great news! As for the overlays, in an optitron, they're made from smoked acryllic... so you'd need to find a place that will print or silkscreen acryllic... I wonder if Black Cat Customs could help us out, all they do is custom gauges.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #25
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
I am out of ideas with the sedan cluster because there is no clock or trip counter reset. Sedan Guys where do you set the clock and reset the trip. Is the clock still in the lcd on the display??
if you still interested in this information, sorry i am so slow to reply :)

there are 2 buttons, odo, and clock near our hazzard flasher button, and yes the clock is on the lcd display

out of curiousity, where do you reset your odo/clock? and do you have a picture of a hatch cluster removed from the dash?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #26
tiksman

I will post one up tonight. The reset switch is by the odo
Old 10-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #27
tiksman

There has been a lot of comunication between me and the odometer programer guy. I am close to getting him to agree to do it. I have a someone from a old neon fourm that may do overlays.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #28
tiksman

I checked my mail and the man has agreed to do it for $200. I want this to work bad . I may just fork up the cash and see what the does.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:37 AM   #29
himself_himself

Drives: Yaris 2007
I find that the LCD panel is capable of showing mpg or L/100km. Any idea if the reprogramming of the eeprom lead you to find if it's actually possible?
himself_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 AM   #30
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
if you still interested in this information, sorry i am so slow to reply :)

there are 2 buttons, odo, and clock near our hazzard flasher button, and yes the clock is on the lcd display

out of curiousity, where do you reset your odo/clock? and do you have a picture of a hatch cluster removed from the dash?

On the hatches, the clock is separate from the Odo and has it's own setting buttons, there is also one of those little cluster mounted "peg buttons" to change between the odo/trip odos, and to reset the trip odos
Old 10-15-2006, 02:21 AM   #31
paultyler_82

Quote:
There has been a lot of comunication between me and the odometer programer guy. I am close to getting him to agree to do it. I have a someone from a old neon fourm that may do overlays.
I could do overlays, it's just a matter of me getting off my lazy butt, designing them, silkscreening or laser printing the layers off onto acetate sheet and sandwiching the layers with clear silicone adhesive... but I don't have a laser printer to use, and I can't find my silkscreening stuff.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #32
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
So wait, i dont know much about whats going on. Did we establish that you can switch out the clusters, everything works fine except it's primary units is Kilometers, but otherwise everythign works fine? all these eeprom is getting me lost, but if i can switch out clusters and just make mental conversions to miles that would work just fine with me
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #33
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
the only issue would be odometer fraud, nothing serious. :lol:
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #34
tiksman

Yes the cdn cluster works fine just my car has a warranty and free maint and I dont want to screw that up by using the cdn cluster I have. I have someone that will make it change to miles but 200 bucks and shipping off both clusters is not a option for me now so I am still stock.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #35
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
How about getting the European left handed digital version that is switchable between miles and kilometers? I have friends in Switzerland that would ship them to me if I only knew beforehand that it is compatable with the USDM version.

Do you have to desolder/resolder the eeprom unit or does it just plug in?

This is what they have: http://de.toyota.ch/Images/t7_yar05_...376-336744.jpg
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #36
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
for all this effort, why not just make a custom cluster?

use the same LCD display, and just relocate everything else how you see fit.

Would just take some solder and a little fabrication... but it could be done... and it sounds like there is no "plug and play" solution anyway.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote