Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Help wanted by NOOB on decent tire recomendations

HI All:

I am looking to pick the considerable volume of expertise this forum represents.

I have an 07 sedan..currently mounting winter tires, but am looking to relace the stock Potenzas in the spring. Can anyone recommend a decent
non winter tire in 185/60/15? 3 season better than all season?

There is so much info out there..so many tires to choose from...I am not a speed demon, nor do I need a particularly high performance tire. Just one that will give better handling chacractersistics at speeds from 0-150 kms/hr
(0-90 mph roughly) and good breaking distances. Primary cargo will be a wife and infant.
And my budget is not unlimited...looking for best bang for the buck, but not looking to cheap-out altogether!

Thanks a bunch!
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Of late, everytime a thread such as this gets posted, two options consistently are put forth;

- General Altimax
- Fuzion HRI

Many others do get mentioned, but the two above are always repeats.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Sounds like a standard touring tire would fit you (non high performance). The two listed above are high performance.

If you want a long lasting (over 75,000 mile) all season tire that is smooth, quite, comfortable, affordable, ect...

look into,

Yokohama Avid TRZ
Pirelli P4
Kumho KR-21

These are highly rated yet can be found for only $60-$75 ea.

Last edited by Kal-El; 01-07-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
Michelin Harmony.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive had fuzion hri's and loved them. good wet and dry traction and very affordable pricing
Old 01-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
thread is almost a month old now, but just in case the op hasn't made a purchase yet i HIGHLY recommend the yokohama avid TRZ! i've read nothing but good things about them online and they are very affordable($61 from discount tire). i just purchased a set today due to the lousy weather(6in of snow and counting) and needing to replace the oem goodyear ls(which was worn down to 2/32 and terrible in the snow -even when brand new) anyways. not a dedicated snow tire, but was a champ plowing thru the white stuff on the way home! good treadlife warranty and there's a $50 rebate right now at discount tire thru the 16th for mounting any tires($100 if you're buying snow tires!).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

i need new 14's on the aveo in spring/summer...im likely to get some falken 912's or something of the like....but i run proper winters in the winter
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i need new 14's on the aveo in spring/summer...im likely to get some falken 912's or something of the like....but i run proper winters in the winter
yeah, i wanted to get a real set of snow tires, but i can't afford two sets so close together so i compromised. do they actually require you to have a set of dedicated snows in canada? i thought i heard that somewhere.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
yeah, i wanted to get a real set of snow tires, but i can't afford two sets so close together so i compromised. do they actually require you to have a set of dedicated snows in canada? i thought i heard that somewhere.
only in the province of quebec are you required to have snow tires...

imo, if it stays below 7C for long periods of time, you should get snow tires.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Most of Europe and other parts of the world requires it as well. Anyone who has used snow tires in the winter would never go back. They can easily save your live or car for under $400. All seasons are useless in snow even if you "think" they're adequate.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #11
taracor

Drives: 2009 5 Dr. Hatch
I had pirelli p4's on my corolla and loved them.
taracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #12
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Michelin Hydroedge
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
All-season tire = no-season tire; no good in the snow, marginal in the wet, noisy in the summer. Get decent road tires for most of the year, best-you-can-afford snow tires for winter.

Here in BC, all the mountain passes are posted that proper snow tires/chains are required; loop it without them, big fine. Kal-El is right: once you use them, you will never go back.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #14
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Thanks for the info....my memory is apparently not working as I posted this question again a few days ago and was reminded of this post...haven't bought a new set of tires yet, obviously, so thanks for all the info!

BTW, got a set of General Altimax for the winter...great performance even without studs. After 2 winters on Potenzas I couldn't believe the diffference! I must say that the Yaris auto trans plus low revs plus ABS plus dedicated winter tires makes for a great combination...I climbed and descended hills 4 x4's with large knobbed tires couldn't manage! With chains, could manage any mountain pass I feel certain.

Thanks aagain...belatedly.
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote