Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Sliding rear seats

okay....something very nifty i found on my yaris was the sliding rear seats. very very kool. and its great seeing as i dont usually have ppl in the back seats but could benifit from an extra foot of trunk space.

but like alot of things there is a problem...... and no i'm not gonna say when i slide my seats forward the gas sticks or breaks get messed up but i find there is a hole behind the rear seats before the hinged floor board....

i know if you fold the seats flat you flip the carpet part over and you have a pick up bt i can't seem to find a way(as part of the car and included) to cover up that hole!! it wouldn't be too much of a problem but it already pissed me off by swallowing my loose tools and flopping them around under the floor with the spare tire....

basically my question is did i miss something? i checked owners manuel and it doesn't even talk or use the series of words "sliding rear seats"

i know its probably hard to understand what exactly i'm saying..... its 3am and i'm tired as shit!! lol. will post pictures in the morning hopefully to clear things up.

Thanks again
Old 02-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Nope, you haven't missed anything, that's just the way it is. For maximum boot space, just remove the "double layer" floor board.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
but i find there is a hole behind the rear seats before the hinged floor board....
Ya, I found that it's a nice little cubby hole that you can put things in..Those little bottles of oil, a tire pressure gauge, emergency crank flashlight, stuff like that.. I took my privacy cover piece and just put it on top of the stuff that I filled in the gap with and voila!
A nice clean empty trunk while still hauling things.

Edit: Hmmm, not sure if I have a Yaris RS but I'll try splitting the floorboard as stated above.. Maybe I can just throw my privacy thing into the garage afterall..
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
Nope, you haven't missed anything, that's just the way it is. For maximum boot space, just remove the "double layer" floor board.
Hmmm i like this idea, i don't have sliding seats but the cargo floor board is slippery and things slide around, by removing it I expose the spare tire. Sure it's ugly but I can fit groceries down lower and not move, low CG and no floor board = saved weight... great idea
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
oh shit... you can cover up that whole.... if this works on my yaris... this will be like one of the top five coolest threads on this site ever.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
oh shit... you can cover up that whole.... if this works on my yaris... this will be like one of the top five coolest threads on this site ever.
ya it totally works! I always wondered why the spare tire cover was so thick...and voila!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
DOMAV

Drives: Yaris 09 T-spirit 1.33
so the seating part lifts aswell?

if yes how?
DOMAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
okay, i took pictures because this feature is something that differs from what seems to be yaris to yaris.....

1.this is the original seat placement....

2.this is the slid up seat placement(note the entire seat is slid, the backrest has not been adjusted)

3.these are my leavers.... one controls the sliding and the other controls the backrest

4.one seat down, note the gap (which will get covered by the folding floor board)

5.seat only slid forward. note gap that the folding floor board cannot cover

6.original seat placement in relation to rear floor board
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I am pretty sure after looking at the seats that move up that they used the same seats as are in the xD,they look exactly the same and do the same thing.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #10
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
To the best of my knowledge, the floor boards that fold over to cover the space only will cover the space when the rear seats are folded flat, not just slid foward. The reason is that the floor board rests on the back of the rear seat that is folded flat, otherwise it has nothing to stop it from falling to the floor. With the seats in the upright position, but slid foward, the folding floor boards will not lay flat, but instead just lean against the rear seats (at an angle), which defeats the purpose of having slid the seats foward to gain the extra space.

As far as the sliding rear seats, I believe it only comes on models that have the split rear seat, which for some reason was part of the power package (compared with another member's car that is the same as mine, except for the power package; he had a solid bench rear seat, and it did not slide foward or fold flat).

An option to cover that space, and unfortunately the only I can come up with as I am unaware of any product that is sold for this purpose, would be to get some wood (or other strong product), and make a little shelf to fit that space, with legs on either end to keep it from falling into the hole as well.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
pawsplus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
Your RS rear deck splits and folds over to cover the hole, it's tightly snapped together...You need to pull it apart at the edge by the handle...Your rear seats also recline on the RS...

Oh -- really?!?!?! So the deck thingy that goes over the spare tire comes in half and the top part flips over? I saw in the owner's manual that I'm supposed to "flip over the deck board" but no explanation of where that IS, since clearly it can't be the one covering the spare tire b/c then there would be nothing COVERING the spare tire.

This explains it, though. I'll have to look at it. How hard is it to do this? I hate messing w/ plastic bits -- always afraid I'll break them!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplus View Post
Oh -- really?!?!?! So the deck thingy that goes over the spare tire comes in half and the top part flips over? I saw in the owner's manual that I'm supposed to "flip over the deck board" but no explanation of where that IS, since clearly it can't be the one covering the spare tire b/c then there would be nothing COVERING the spare tire.

This explains it, though. I'll have to look at it. How hard is it to do this? I hate messing w/ plastic bits -- always afraid I'll break them!
It sticks a bit, but should be able to be done.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
pawsplus

I can't figure it out. <sigh> Going into the dealership to make them demo for me today.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
It would have been nice if the salesman had demo'd that for me. I knew I wanted a
Yaris based on my experience with a co-worker's Yaris. However, he doesn't have the
fold down, sliding, split rear seats like I have. See if you can get a free oil change
out of the demo?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
pawsplus

You guys will NOT believe this.

I took Shark Bait to the dealership yesterday and went to service. I explained the problem to them and showed them the photo that was on this link of the deckboard folded down properly. I had enlarged it and printed it out, suspecting that I would be dealing with people who were Without A Clue. Boy, was I right.

They first denied that it was a problem (big hole in middle of cargo area). Then they suggested pushing the rear seats back to make the hole smaller. I pointed out that if one did that, the seats would no longer lie flat and that, UM, the owner's manual shows it looking just like the photo does.

Then they asked what year Yaris the car in the photo was. WHO CARES?!?!!? I commented that if they had changed the 2010 so as to create a gaping chasm in the cargo area, that was a Serious Problem and I would need to see someone in Sales about that.

There were, by this time FIVE guys standing around my car. I kept saying, "Look --it's this deckboard -- I think this carpeted part pulls away. I'm sure that's it. I just don't want to be the one to do it the first time. I want to make sure that's correct."

And they REFUSED to believe me! I am not kidding you. Honestly.

FINALLY I said, "Look, you guys clearly have no idea how this car works. Is there anyone here who DOES?"

"Maybe Allan. Yeah, he knows about the Yaris."

"Great. Get Allan, please."

I waited 5 min (while the 5 guys continued to poke Shark Bait). I tried pulling up the carpeted part of the deck board but b/c they were SO SURE that wasn't it, I became MORE, not less sure that I would break something.

Finally Allan shows up. And HE didn't know how to do it either!!!!! Finally he believed me and pulled on the deck board. The thing came apart and folded over. All the guys acted like he'd invented sliced bread. I went home.

All I can say is that I'm damn glad I have a good mechanic who, since he is more than willing to use Toyota parts, can work on my car w/out voiding the warranty. B/c I never want to have to set foot in that place again.

Anyway, THANK YOU, you guys. If it weren't for you I would have gone in there and bought their and assumed that there was no way to fill the chasm. YOU ROCK!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
sherriebythesea

Drives: 2010 Yaris
This was one of the selling points on my little Rosie. I LOVE the extended cargo area and how it lays flat
sherriebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Yeah, you gotta wonder about dealerships sometimes. I had asked my service tech
about the no towing issue for American Yaris, whereas the Canadian Yaris can. He
hadn't heard of that one. Although I have to say he might not be an expert on the
Yaris, as he deals with all the Toyota line of cars.

Glad you got it all figured out. So, when the next person comes on here and questions
it, YOU will be giving the answer.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
I do not think my yaris came with sliding rear seats...or did it? I have the base model with no power anything.
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote