Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Anyone pulled their power steering fuse?

Has anyone pulled their powering steering fuse? And if so, what's
your opinion on it?

I decided to try going without mine for a while today and honestly,
aside from the much heavier steering feel, the car feels multiple
times better in my opinion. It seems much more planted and it doesn't
have the left or right wandering that's so typical. I might just end up
leaving the fuse out and call it a day, the driving feedback seems
much better without it than with it.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Has anyone pulled their powering steering fuse? And if so, what's
your opinion on it?

I decided to try going without mine for a while today and honestly,
aside from the much heavier steering feel, the car feels multiple
times better in my opinion. It seems much more planted and it doesn't
have the left or right wandering that's so typical. I might just end up
leaving the fuse out and call it a day, the driving feedback seems
much better without it than with it.
I have. Heavy steering at lower speeds, but it is quite nice on the highway. I let go of the wheel on a long straight stretch and must have went about a mile before the car began to drift a bit. I put the fuse back in because I really like the EPS around town. If I was to take a long trip I might pull it back out. It is nice that such a mod is so easy, and there is no cost.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've had that disabled for a long time now -- I like it. Most people don't like it.

Even better is to also remove the servo motor from the steering column; I plan to get to that pretty soon.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
detroiter

Is their any possibility of hurting anything by driving without the p/s fuse plugged in?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Is their any possibility of hurting anything by driving without the p/s fuse plugged in?
You won't hurt anything having it pulled.

I have done some experimentation with fooling the P/S ECU and will eventually have a product to offer which allow configurable disabling of the EPS. Where, you'll be able to select options like having it on-proportional or on-full at low speed (<5, <10, or <25 MPH) and off completely at speeds above the configured threshold.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

I have done some experimentation with fooling the P/S ECU and will eventually have a product to offer which allow configurable disabling of the EPS. Where, you'll be able to select options like having it on-proportional or on-full at low speed (<5, <10, or <25 MPH) and off completely at speeds above the configured threshold.
That sounds WAY COOL.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
subscribed..this is interesting..but wouldnt this just gets rid of loose steering on low speed under 20km/hr higher should still be the same wouldnt it.

now where would this fuse be.. maybe i can rewire it to make a switch for it..

Last edited by marcus; 03-28-2011 at 07:15 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
DMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

If it is plug and go. I'm in.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
subscribed..this is interesting..but wouldnt this just gets rid of loose steering on low speed under 20km/hr higher should still be the same wouldnt it.

now where would this fuse be.. maybe i can rewire it to make a switch for it..
At higher speeds the EPS is still proportional, which is what causes the wander and inconsistent feel. At low speed with no assist it can be pretty hard to steer. My idea is to flatten the response on both ends so that it feels the same through the whole range.

The fuse is under the hood, but you could do the switching on the large power wire to the EPS ECU.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

cool.. got to try this..thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
detroiter

I've driven around a bit more today without the fuse and the wander is definitely gone from what you'd normally expect with the electric powersteering running in place.

Now does the electric powersteering compensate to each of the front wheels? Like for example, god knows this car has no torque but sometimes if you nail the gas at a lower speed and the car really takes off, sometimes it has the reponse that your car is "pulling" to the left or the right until the torque lets up a bit.

Since pulling out the fuse, when nailing the gas hard, the car pulls straight as an arrow with now feeling whatsoever that it's trying to put power seperately to the left or right wheel.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I've driven around a bit more today without the fuse and the wander is definitely gone from what you'd normally expect with the electric powersteering running in place.

Now does the electric powersteering compensate to each of the front wheels? Like for example, god knows this car has no torque but sometimes if you nail the gas at a lower speed and the car really takes off, sometimes it has the reponse that your car is "pulling" to the left or the right until the torque lets up a bit.

Since pulling out the fuse, when nailing the gas hard, the car pulls straight as an arrow with now feeling whatsoever that it's trying to put power seperately to the left or right wheel.
There's a torque sensor on the steering column. The problem is that it can't tell the difference between torque applied by the driver or by the road.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
is there any other difference? its not like on older cars where pulling the belt will give it more power, i know. Maybe just more stability in voltage or something lol
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
is there any other difference? its not like on older cars where pulling the belt will give it more power, i know. Maybe just more stability in voltage or something lol
The main idea behind EPS is not wasting power/fuel, driving a pump when it is not needed, so it is actually pretty efficient. When you are steering like crazy at low speed, is when the EPS motor draws the most current, so that is where you'd notice the biggest power gain from eliminating that load.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

getting more interesting..
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
marcus
toyota

OK i tried taking the fuse on etcs 10 amps but the car wont stay on itll crank but it drops the rev to zero.. does battery have to be unplug too.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #17
DMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
OK i tried taking the fuse on etcs 10 amps but the car wont stay on itll crank but it drops the rev to zero.. does battery have to be unplug too.
It is a red 50 amp fuse labeled EPS. You do not have to disconnect the battery to pull it out.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #18
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
It is a red 50 amp fuse labeled EPS. You do not have to disconnect the battery to pull it out.
oh maybe i took out the wrong one thought its the etcs.. now i need to find eps..thanks

what does s-lock stands for its missing a fuse in it..