Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
oh maybe i took out the wrong one thought its the etcs.. now i need to find eps..thanks

what does s-lock stands for its missing a fuse in it..
Look in the fuse box on the drivers side. The EPS fuse is between the ABS and HTR fuses. It is a big, square fuse.

I am not sure what the s-lock is for.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
oh maybe i took out the wrong one thought its the etcs.. now i need to find eps..thanks

what does s-lock stands for its missing a fuse in it..
ETCS is one of the ECM's fuses. S-LOCK is for the AT shift lock. If you have a MT it will be empty.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
thanks ctscott.. that s-lock it bothering me..

anyways i did try taking the fuse off eps..and wow steering is super stiff last time i drove a car like that was an old chevy 85 with no power steering feels good on straight away but annoying on turns..

Last edited by marcus; 03-29-2011 at 07:58 PM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yeah no kidding on the super stiff wheel. i have an 85 jetta w/o p/s and the jetta was a little easier to drive. lol.

I test drove w/o p/s and man i have to relearn the car again. doesnt help that now i notice on the highway bumps, (CT has TERRIBLE random bumps) i find myself in fighting the wheel alot on turns, and sometimes it feels im temporarily airborne, hah. good stuff!
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
yeah no kidding on the super stiff wheel. i have an 85 jetta w/o p/s and the jetta was a little easier to drive. lol.

I test drove w/o p/s and man i have to relearn the car again. doesnt help that now i notice on the highway bumps, (CT has TERRIBLE random bumps) i find myself in fighting the wheel alot on turns, and sometimes it feels im temporarily airborne, hah. good stuff!
Ha. Now you know why pre-PS auto had those huge steering wheels and after market suicide knobs.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
marcus
toyota

i just put my summer tires on and that alone made the steering a little stiffer than stock rims..now with eps off i dont think i even wanna try it..lol
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Honestly I've noticed that driving over bumps feels much less harsh than when driving with the p/s fuse in place. Maybe it's the p/s giving feedback through the wheel but when driving today over a few bumps that always make me grimace in pain usually, I went right over them with out even barely feeling them. Does the p/s exaggerate road feedback?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #26
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Hey this is cool, glad someone tried this. My 04 echo hb has no power or electrical assist steering and I prefer it on the highway. Guess I will be pulling the fuse and seeing how the 09 works.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #27
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I wish I had ESP

My belt blew off my PS pump in the middle of winter, so I had no choice but to drive it that way for a few weeks. I then decided that the car feels SO much better without hydraulic assist. At the limits you can feel the front tires breaking loose as the steering feel starts to get lighter. Not to mention you can feel every crack in the road mid corner now too.

The only bitch is when you're trying to get in and out of parking spots.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #28
marcus
toyota

curious if we i make a switch for this can i actually turn this on and off while driving??? anyone? any negative effects like damaging the EPS??

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Quote:
curious if we i make a switch for this can i actually turn this on and off while driving??? anyone? any negative effects like damaging the EPS??
Now that would be cool..
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #30
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
You would have to use a heavy wire and switch or power relay.
The fuse is a fifty amp one.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #31
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
A relay would work fine with a switch to activate it maybe?
I tried pulling the fuse and found the steering to be quite heavy because of the small wheel.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #32
marcus
toyota

im dont get why i would need a relay if im just bypassing a wire and adding a switch in between...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #33
marcus
toyota

Ok got It I got extra relay from hid kits still worried about damaging the eps for adding a switch .....

Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #34
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Quote:
im dont get why i would need a relay if im just bypassing a wire and adding a switch in between...
You could always try and find a switch that is rated for 50 amps of higher then. That might be expensive tho.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #35
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I've no plans to mess with mine. I'm pleased with the power steering.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #36
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Just got back from a 1400 mile road trip. Compared to my xB/bB with regular PS, the Yaris steering is way too touchy. It feels like you are disconnected IMHO.