Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #55
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
suppliers will be different for different plants on the opposite side of the planet. It would kill any incentives to even have the plant on the other side of the planet if this was not true.
Suppliers may be different, but the quality standards are the same. Otherwise they would stop sourcing their parts from said factory and go somewhere else. What is the point of selling 12 million cars if you have to recall them a year later due to low quality materials?

Quote:
Yes, the final plant is automated, but the final plant just assembles the car, it does not build every single little piece that goes into the car. That comes from all over who knows where, and absolutely will be different.
Please tell me where you get this information from. Everywhere I read about this subject tells me the opposite is true. People are being pushed out in favor of robots on every stage of the manufacturing process for a reason. If a serious fault is found (such as the stuck pedal or ignition key issues) it is because of the DESIGN of said parts, and not because it was put together wrong, which brings us back to human error being the most likely cause.

Oh, and guess where the designers come from... That's right, many of them come from Japan and Germany!

Last edited by tk-421; 05-31-2014 at 11:46 AM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #56
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Suppliers may be different, but the quality standards are the same. Otherwise they would stop sourcing their parts from said factory and go somewhere else. What is the point os selling 12 million cars if you have to recall them a year later due to low quality materials?

Please tell me where you get this information from. Everywhere I read about this subject tells me the opposite is true. People are being pushed out in favor of robots on every stage of the manufacturing process for a reason. If a serious fault is found (such as the stuck pedal or ignition key issues) it is because of the DESIGN of said parts, and not because it was put together wrong, which brings us back to human error being the most likely cause.
yes sir. human error because humans designed said part or engineered how parts will coordinate with each other. either way, its no longer much about the particular humans who are manning the manufacturing plants.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #57
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I saw a very dark grey 2014 Corolla today going the other direction on a two lane road. The grille blended into the color of the car quite well. if the 'redesigned' Yaris makes it to the U.S. for 2015, it will be interesting to see if the prominent grille looks similarly muted with whatever dark grey color is offered.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #58
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Reliability, first and foremost, starts with engineering and design of parts and how those parts work and interact. Final assembly has much less to do with reliability. Toyota’s and Honda's are the most reliable because of the engineers, not because of the robots or assembly workers being superior. That's the bottom line.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #59
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Speaking as a German-French-Japanese-Canadian robot I am offended by this entire conversation.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #60
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Speaking as a German-French-Japanese-Canadian robot I am offended by this entire conversation.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #61
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I wonder if the people who died because of the gas pedal malfunction would believe that. I highly doubt it. No matter what idiocy you choose to push, suppliers will be different for different plants on the opposite side of the planet. It would kill any incentives to even have the plant on the other side of the planet if this was not true.

This is why to this day VW fans prefer German made cars to those made anywhere else, because they are just more reliable.

Also why American made v6 accords are a nightmare.

Yes, the final plant is automated, but the final plant just assembles the car, it does not build every single little piece that goes into the car. That comes from all over who knows where, and absolutely will be different.

Oh and yay, you called someone a racist. You know what that means? It means you are clueless and have no original ideas. The word racist is a total meaningless joke nowadays, used by people who cannot think for themselves. Congrats on that one.
Nobody DIED in those STAGED incidents. Cars don't magically accelerate out of control without reason; and if there IS a shorted wire or (older cars) stuck linkage, the ignition switch works just fine.

That was an orchestrated attempt to discredit Toyota, presumably to the benefit of Government Motors; and to shake down the company for "damages."

The ONLY trouble I'd heard of is the tendency of earlier Toyotas to have the factory-fitted floor mat slide forward and hang on the gas pedal. The latest models, including Yarii, have positive twist-locks - if the mat slides forward it's the owner's fault.

I have never seen a better-built line of cars; and probably won't again - if Toyota is looking to cut costs with Mazda design.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 AM   #62
roxy1

Quote:
Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #63
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Quote:
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #64
YeOldScallywag
Small Car Enthusiast

Drives: Red '12 Yaris SE Hatch
Cool I personally like this redesign

I know a lot of you have been bashing the front end redesign but I love it. My wife currently has the "redesigned" 2014 Corolla with almost all the same design aesthetics as this supposed redesign that is coming and we both love it. It takes a second to get over the fact that changed a lot but once you sit in this new redesign and figure out that they also changed a lot of the aesthetics inside as well, you kind of "get over it"

The very second you turn the car on and those LED projector's kick on you forget about the fact that you no longer have the sweet looking forward raking lower cowl, I know my Yaris has it. I think that with this specific redesign that there will be way more to be happy about, then there will be to gripe about.

Specifically coming from the stand point of driving freeway's everyday to get to work, I would absolutely be off the walls ecstatic having that extra gear to get the RPM's down going 85. I feel like I am killing baby seals when my RPM gauge reads 3500 - 3600 when cruising down the freeway. On top of all that the overall MPG will go up just adding that extra gear.

As a side note I love that color. I don't know about you but it looks kind of orangy to me and I love orange!!!!
YeOldScallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #65
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldScallywag View Post
I feel like I am killing baby seals when my RPM gauge reads 3500 - 3600 when cruising down the freeway. On top of all that the overall MPG will go up just adding that extra gear.

As a side note I love that color. I don't know about you but it looks kind of orangy to me and I love orange!!!!
my experience with some of the 6 speed manuals out there now is that the final gear isn't that far of the previous final 5th gear. rpm's may go down around 200-250 rpm's.

if you are cruising fast enough for 3500+ rpm's, wind resistance is as much a mpg killer as the rpm's. even at 80 mph, im pretty sure my rpms are only around 3200-3250. I don't think the 6th gear is going to help mpg's a whole lot at those speeds.

the sad thing is we are going to get the cvt's shoved down out throats, with less and less manuals being brought here. ive driven the corolla with the cvt and I could not have had a more joy sapping experience. i do like the overall design, however.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #66
YeOldScallywag
Small Car Enthusiast

Drives: Red '12 Yaris SE Hatch
Cool Know where you are coming from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
my experience with some of the 6 speed manuals out there now is that the final gear isn't that far of the previous final 5th gear. rpm's may go down around 200-250 rpm's.

if you are cruising fast enough for 3500+ rpm's, wind resistance is as much a mpg killer as the rpm's. even at 80 mph, im pretty sure my rpms are only around 3200-3250. I don't think the 6th gear is going to help mpg's a whole lot at those speeds.

the sad thing is we are going to get the cvt's shoved down out throats, with less and less manuals being brought here. ive driven the corolla with the cvt and I could not have had a more joy sapping experience. i do like the overall design, however.
I would have to agree with you on the CVT's! They are definitely joy sapper's! Which is why my wife and I only drive manual's! I can tell with absolute certainty that the gear ratio in the new corolla is a much bigger difference then what you discussed above. Hopefully the new Yaris will follow in it's footsteps!

I should have specified that 85 was 85+ mine usually hovers around 3400 and 3600.

Glad to hear someone else likes the new design aesthetic and that I am not alone in this!
YeOldScallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #67
roxy1

Quote:

Glad to hear someone else likes the new design aesthetic and that I am not alone in this!
I was actually talking of the new corolla design. I just cant like that grill on the yaris...or any subcompact...it just kind of overwhelms the rest of the car, imo. it remains to be seen if that even happens to the '15 yaris in the states. at any rate, a new gen yaris wont be that far off.

personally, id rather be driving a little bigger hatchback in the form of a corolla, but since we don't get one I chose the yaris.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #68
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Which is why my wife and I only drive manuals!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #69
YarisWilliams

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
I'm a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS owner who is taking a hankering to the new 2015 'X' marks the spot Toyota Yaris front end look. I was under the impression the new 2015 Toyota Yaris shares the same chassis as the 2015 Mazda2 and its (they're) being built in Mexico. Any takers?

Last edited by YarisWilliams; 06-07-2014 at 10:36 AM.
YarisWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #70
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisWilliams View Post
I'm a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS owner who is taking a hankering to the new 2015 'X' marks the spot Toyota Yaris front end look. I was under the impression the new 2015 Toyota Yaris shares the same chassis as the 2015 Mazda2 and its (they're) being built in Mexico. Any takers?

The picture in your post is what I have heard termed 'the refresh'...the 2015 for the Canadian market and (IIRC) for the European market. Re the United States, I don't believe anything definitive has been forthcoming. 2015 USDM.....this 'Canadian refresh' ?......2015 USDM same as 2014 USDM ?..... No 2015 USDM Yaris at all (as there was no 2014 USDM Honda Fit) ?....we don't know yet. The 'Mazda 2 twin' will (IIRC) start as a 2015 1/2, 2016, or 2016 1/2 model.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #71
YarisWilliams

Drives: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
I do know that Mazda is debuting the 2015 2 here in the States in Nov.-Dec. of 2014. So we're just waiting for Toyota to decide what they want to do for a 2015 Yaris then, eh?
YarisWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #72
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisWilliams View Post
I do know that Mazda is debuting the 2015 2 here in the States in Nov.-Dec. of 2014. So we're just waiting for Toyota to decide what they want to do for a 2015 Yaris then, eh?
Yep. I'm not against that plant necessarily, but I don't want a Toyota from the first year of that relationship...and I will be ready to buy before that offshoot matures into a second year. With that being the case, I haven't paid attention to the release timeframe for the new Mazda 'twin'. I want either a 3rd Gen body style or the refresh the Canadians are definitely getting would be okay if I liked it in person....I saw the nose of a white 2014 Corolla the other day (parked directly behind me...and we were the only two cars in that parking area. If the refreshed yaris grille gets (in person) close to the looks of the Corolla (in person), that would be okay.