Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
duendeverde

Drives: Yaris 2010 Manual
IAC Valve

Can anyone tell me where is the IAC located for a Yaris Sedan 2010? I want to clean this part since i bought m car used :/ want to clean all possible things related to Air like MAF Sensor (already cleaned), Throttle (already cleaned), put new hose, already install an AEM CAI, PCV valve (already cleaned) and the IAC valve (not yet cleaned)

Thanks
duendeverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Should be connected right to your throttle body.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Should be connected right to your throttle body.
Thanks, found it this morning
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Let me know where abouts on the TB it is and how easy it was to clean. I forgot to clean it when I cleaned my TB this past spring.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Let me know where abouts on the TB it is and how easy it was to clean. I forgot to clean it when I cleaned my TB this past spring.
Sure, will do this saturday. I went to buy MOC Premium Throttle-Body & Air-Intake Cleaner at Toyota. One of the mechanics recommended me to remove the complete throttle body for optimum cleaning. The sensor should be attached to the TB but i haven't look around to see where it actually is
Old 12-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Maybe I don't understand the name correctly, but I think that in a throttle-by-wire system the throttle butterfly is the IAC valve. The throttle is driven by a servo motor, so the ECU can change the valve position automatically. A throttle-by-cable system can't adjust the butterfly, so some of them use a separate valve to adjust the idle air intake.

Perhaps someone else understands the difference better?

Edit: here's a picture of an IAC system. The 4-bolt drive-by-wire TB doesn't have any of the stuff that bypasses the butterfly.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2007-07-10_143307_toyota_idle_air_control_system.gif (6.8 KB, 176 views)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Maybe I don't understand the name correctly, but I think that in a throttle-by-wire system the throttle butterfly is the IAC valve. The throttle is driven by a servo motor, so the ECU can change the valve position automatically. A throttle-by-cable system can't adjust the butterfly, so some of them use a separate valve to adjust the idle air intake.

Perhaps someone else understands the difference better?

Edit: here's a picture of an IAC system. The 4-bolt drive-by-wire TB doesn't have any of the stuff that bypasses the butterfly.
So what u r telling me is that an electronic throttle doesn't have that kind of valve, is just a throttle with the butterfly valve? I haven't disassemble the throttle yet :/
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by duendeverde View Post
Thanks, found it this morning

Given what you've said in post#7, what is it that you actually found? I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Given what you've said in post#7, what is it that you actually found? I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Behind the throttle i saw like a black case, I thought that was the IAC since i haven't taken out the throttle yet. While looking through google images (electronic throttle) that black box

For example look the image below. Almost the same as the Yaris Throttle :/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ElectronicThrottleControl-prv.jpg (62.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
tmontague

I was actually thinking what Cranky stated. A drive by wire system would likely have an IAC built into it or the parts would just be redundant. I didn't take off my TB when I cleaned it but I didn't notice any extra valce or sensor. Mind you I also wasn't looking for one.

I'm not sure if you could theoretically clean the electronic throttle, but do you even need to as I don't think it would become dirty?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
duendeverde

Quote:
I was actually thinking what Cranky stated. A drive by wire system would likely have an IAC built into it or the parts would just be redundant. I didn't take off my TB when I cleaned it but I didn't notice any extra valce or sensor. Mind you I also wasn't looking for one.

I'm not sure if you could theoretically clean the electronic throttle, but do you even need to as I don't think it would become dirty?
True...but i have seen videos on Youtube about cleaning electronic throttles, the butterfly valve gets dirty on both side, I cleaned the outside of the butterfly so it would be great to clean the inside also
Old 12-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
The PCV/breather system sends the excess crank case pressure back to the intake, between the MAF and butterfly. If you have blowby, you can get a LOT of soot on the butterfly valve. I take my TB completely off to clean it, but it's a lot easier with my custom intake setup than the stock airbox.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
tmontague

and that's why I have an oil catch can ;). Agreed though, depending on the amount of blowby it will all end up going through the TB