Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #37
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I think the rear end of the 2019 Corolla HB looks surprisingly like the front end of the 2018 Yaris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota_Auris_Back_Genf_2018.jpg (165.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (57.6 KB, 101 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #38
Whiplash

Drives: 2009 Yaris 4DR
Ah,so ugly.
Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #39
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I think the rear end of the 2019 Corolla HB looks surprisingly like the front end of the 2018 Yaris.
I guess Toyota is going through a bulge phase now as well. Even the new 2019 RAV4 looks like a hulking, bulging, bloated mess, and I won't even get started on the C-HR design. I must be out of touch with U.S. consumer tastes big time. New cars from every automaker have become a seriously depressing prospect, for a variety of different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Is it possible to be pretentious in a Corolla ?
Somehow Toyota managed to pull it off.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-09-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #40
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Except for the fog-lights possibly, the XSE trim has nothing (at least for me) to make it an attractive buy for the $3000+ or so more it costs. You could take the $$$ saved with the SE & buy some nice 17" wheels & tires that were better for the car, tint the windows with premium-grade film, etc. & still come out ahead. Plus, you wouldn't have that silver metallic trim around the stupid fish-face front, so it would blend even better in black.

The more I think about all the stupid crap they are putting into cars today, the more I appreciate my current car, lol.

-
So I did this on the builder, and you can literally get the same color and wing,

the XSE has some nicer features like fog lamps (which im pretty sure I could install after the fact)

dual zone climate control,
a bigger touch screen
and leather interior

otherwise the SE has the rest, i think the front bumper is chrome'd vs grey'd out which is what i want anyways.

I did the pricing and heres the dumb of the dumb, you can order a brand new iM from the website, and its only about 400 dollars less expensive ( with the extra's I wanted) from the 19 corolla with the extra's I wanted

I want the wing, the rear bumper molding, the side kicker molding, all weather floor mats (honestly some of the best mats in the world..) and anything that says TRD on it (fanboy)
otherwise, keep everything else basic.
and exactly right, within a few months of ownership Ill probably have a suspension set and tires/rims on the car to suit.

that said

this is a mini rant and most of you can ignore. as I grow up I am finding it hard to appreciate the used car prices of certain hot cars. (s2000, FD rx7s etc etc) when you could buy this Corolla for around 22k (ish)
like the used market is favoring other cars for their exclusivity? Sure I get that, and if its your dream car go for it. I paid about 21k for a 2011 Rx8 R3 and loved it. back in 2015? would I pay that today? no,m it's not worth that to me anymore I guess

Maybe im getting old, but 22k (ish) for a new hatch with a manual and toyota's world famous reliability and ease of maint, that's a pretty good deal

too bad this yaris isnt moving anytime soon ;)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #41
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
the only thing i'm missing with the se vs the xse is the power lumbar seat. the xe is a 6-way and the xse is an 8-way(i guess it's a big deal in this segment to have that). i could care less about the fogs and 18 inch wheels(i agree with kalispel - they're too big!). right now i have a tempurpedic(sp?) lumbar support that i use with the yaris. it's nice with our camry that i don't have to use it(i've got a bad back). i notice the wheels are 5-lug. does anyone know the actual pattern/offset so i could look for 17 inch summer wheels on tirerack and use the 16 inch wheels for winter? thanks!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #42
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
i notice the wheels are 5-lug. does anyone know the actual pattern/offset so i could look for 17 inch summer wheels on tirerack and use the 16 inch wheels for winter? thanks!
I saw this too, Im betting (this isnt official) they'll be toyota 5x114.3 around 35 offset.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
Runethecursed

There's a few reasons and most of them are crotchy old man related, but more and more it's like they don't care what you want, they care about selling product, and second off is they claim to be "car people" but still don't understand the difference between what I am looking for and wanting, vs just the name of something similar, specifically I had asked for a buildsheet on the new 2019 Corolla Hatchback in manual, the fancy blue color, with the TRD options all spec'd out, instead they want me to look at a current model sedan... cvt... and then calls me Corey. Maybe I am the oddball down here but this astounds me. I doubt I'll go back to this specific dealer for marketing and sales, maybe for maint still because there's two or three mechanics I really like but they are actual car people... anyways just a mini rant
Old 07-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #44
Kalispel

Most dealerships/salespeople only care about selling something - SELLING ANYTHING AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, FOR AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. They could care less what you want or are looking for in a car, or specific model/trim/color. They are like stupid robots following a programmed routine to SELL SELL SELL, and probably don't even read 95% of what any email you send them says. Their apathy & lack of comprehension is astounding.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:53 AM   #45
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Hawaii dealerships will be getting them in 2-3 weeks. $25k for the XSE auto doesn't seem like a terrible price considering all the features you get. Of course, whether you actually want all those features/cosmetic enhancements/driver assistance tech is another discussion.

Thank goodness they didn't slap the gorgeous metallic blue from the Yaris on there or I would be tempted in a few years... That light blue color reminds me too much of the color on the Focus RS.

I agree with Kalispel that the front end looks similar to the Yaris iA and that's not a good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light blue.jpg (118.5 KB, 53 views)
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #46
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
The Focus looks better.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #47
Kalispel

Really crappy color choices on the 2019 Corolla hatch. That pukey, flat blue looks like something that only a teenager could love. The muddy new bronze color isn't half as nice as the Brown Sugar Metallic that was available for the Yaris in 2015-2017 in various NON-USA markets. Everything else is just boring basics - Black, White, Silver (sigh), & (generic) Red. Black is pretty much a mandatory color to buy on this if you want to hide/blend that horrid front iA-derived fishface grill styling.

The wheels on the SE Corolla are only 16", look dinky for the size/length of the car, & make the 55 series tires look like something from a crossover vehicle. Totally ruins the look of the car. 16" (with 50 series tires) is perfect looking for a Yaris, but not this car (with 55 tires). By the time you spend $1500+ to correct that glaring visual problem and add at least aftermarket 17" & 45-50 series tires, you might as well have sprung for the XSE & get more bang for your buck. Ughh. Glad that I still like the Yaris SE hatch better than the 2019 Corolla hatch, lol.

2019 Corolla hatchback XSE

2019 Yaris/iA/Mazda2 Sedan XLE

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-05-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #48
kimona
Super Moderator

Nothing Toyota is currently offering in the US appeals to me visually.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:49 AM   #49
Runethecursed

I will say....

as a tall guy

the corolla hatchback is a win

Went to a dealer to test fit myself with a helmet in an 86 and in a corolla hatchback ( without helmet haha) and of course the more verticle driving position really helped and my knees cleared

I am 6 foot 4 and 230 ish lbs with a 38 ish waist. my inseam I forgot but I am about equal length when it comes to leg/torso so for me I am way happy about that.

I still am not buying one (cool car but I got a daily... that's paid off!)

But in case any of you wanted to know. tall guy approved.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 PM   #50
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
My dealer has 'em and its a stick!

https://www.toyotasunnyvale.com/new/...70b5cbc6ac.htm

I'm afraid to go look I might trade the Yaris for it
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #51
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ies-reputation
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #52
kimona
Super Moderator

^^^ Decent review. Motor, transmission, acceleration, ride quality, and fuel consumption are reasonably impressive. The new CVT sounds much more agreeable than the miserable CVT it replaces. Can't say I'm a big fan of that tall touchscreen display sitting atop the dash... which is fast becoming a trend. Cargo space seems really tight with the load floor being so high! Exterior styling is not as hideous as most recent Toyota models, though I could do without that stupid looking rear spoiler. And, $395 for that wretched blizzard pearl paint? Wonder what other colours will be available?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:07 AM   #53
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ Decent review. Motor, transmission, acceleration, ride quality, and fuel consumption are reasonably impressive. The new CVT sounds much more agreeable than the miserable CVT it replaces. Can't say I'm a big fan of that tall touchscreen display sitting atop the dash... which is fast becoming a trend. Cargo space seems really tight with the load floor being so high! Exterior styling is not as hideous as most recent Toyota models, though I could do without that stupid looking rear spoiler. And, $395 for that wretched blizzard pearl paint? Wonder what other colours will be available?
I'm pretty much on the same page as you.

The new combo port+direct inject engine is perfect, and eliminates the carbon deposit problems of automakers foolishly using straight GDI engine designs. Likewise, the CVT w/launch gear pretty much eliminates the primary problems with CVT's - namely all the stress put on a traditional CVT system during initial get-up-and-go (especially if you have a heavy foot), and the accompanying crappy rubbery feel of the belts during that time. Very innovative of Toyota on both accounts.

Main dislikes:
- Fish-face iA-clone front grill styling, made even worse by the weird headlight shape. The chrome trim framing grill on XSE just pours salt on the ugly wound.
- Tacky looking chrome, fake dual-exhaust ports on rear bumper. Toyota should have kept the nice, classy exhaust setup as iM had (hidden muffler, and nice single exhaust pipe with OEM SS exhaust tip.
- Clumsy-looking, distracting tablet touchscreen shooting up from main dash.
- Didn't stick with balanced 17" wheels & 45 series tires (like iM) on either trim. You can either go with (slightly too large) 18" wheels & uncomfortable 40 series tires (XSE), or go with too-small (for that car) 16" wheels on the 55 series tires (SE). Both the 18" & 16" wheels have a nice design, but should have both been 17" with those same designs to differentiate models.
- Rear hatch has a bit too much slope to it in its attempt to look aggressive, at the expense of cargo space. My little Yaris probably has more space back there, lol.
- Lackluster and/or unattractive (to me) color options. Black or bust I guess. A dark/slate blue would have been nice, or a nice darker graphite color. Brown Sugar Metallic would have been nicer than that weird looking bronze-brown color they have.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-10-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #54
Kalispel

I checked out the 2019 Corolla hatchback in-person yesterday (both XSE & SE), while waiting for my regular 40K maintenance service.

Front seats are comfortable & stylish. Doesn't feel as roomy/open as my Yaris, due to the way the cockpit sort of wraps around the driver, and the ceiling is lower. Not bad - just a different feel. Larger (rotund/stocky) people may find it sort of cramped, but it was okay for me (normal/lean build). Even at 6ft2in tall my Yaris ceiling seems unnaturally high (& probably why the front windshield is so damn tall), so I actually like the lower ceiling on the new Corolla better. Interior is more 'deluxe' than a Yaris, naturally, but still not a fan of the jetting touchscreen integration into the dash, nor the look/design of the air vents in general. Inside doors/design are nice & the handle is much better than the inside squeaky plastic handle/grip on the Yaris. Front door feels strangely elongated for a 4-door car & easy to bang into something when you open them, but perhaps just because I am used to the shorter, lighter doors on my Yaris 4-door. Center console/armrest, and more storage in general is nice on the new Corolla.

Exterior doesn't look any better in-person. In-fact, it looks/feels worse. Weird hoodline. Ugly front grill/bumper design, & ugly, weird/stupid shaped headlights. Rear bumper & side skirt pieces had a lightweight, thin, cheap feel to them (the iM felt like it had better materials quality in this regard). The chrome-painted plastic fake exhaust port inserts are just laughably tacky. Rear hatch slope is sort of annoying, but its cool that the hatch is made out of lightweight ceramic instead of metal. XSE wheels are a nice design, but wish they were the exact same thing in 17" instead, with tires that balance sportiness with practicality better. The 16" wheels on the SE Corolla hatch still look a tad too small for that car (reminds me of the small wheels & skinny tires the base Matrix had back in the day, that ruined the entire look of the vehicle). Those 16" wheels would look great on a Yaris though if they weren't 5-lug wheels.

The 'Scarlet' 2019 Corolla hatch looked to me in-person (outside, in bright morning AZ sunlight) more like a dark/burnt orange-rust color than red. It wasn't attractive. The 'Oxide Bronze' color also had a sickly look to it in-person. WTH Toyota?

All in all, except for the new, more innovative engine/CVT design of the new 2019 Corolla hatch, I think I actually prefer the outgoing Corolla iM more in pretty much every other way. I am not interested in this car any longer, at least not in this current gen cycle version (2019-2021).

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-14-2018 at 10:13 PM.