Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
MedMantle

Drives: Yaris '05 1.3 Hatch "R.I.P."
Fuel Pump always humming

Hey guys. I drive a 2006 Yaris Hatch and for the past couple of months I hear this humming noise coming from where the fuel pump is situated. It is especially apparent when idling and it's volume is similar to the radiator fan which kinda makes the bit of sound deadening I have done pointless haha

I have discovered that the tone of the hum can be changed if I press the power window up when it is already fully closed (in other words I am straining the winder motor) so I don't know whether the noise from the fuel pump is electrical or mechanical?

Further than that my car drives fine but the noise is quite irritating

It sounds like the noise in this guys video (not a Yaris obviously but same noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwPPY1j_wZo )

Any help would be amaze **
MedMantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Yaris fuel pump is pretty quiet, except when it initially spins up with the engine not yet running. If you can hear it with the engine running it may bve reaching the end of its useful life.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I agree with CT Scott. Its also possible the fuel filter is somewhat clogged and changing it might fix the problem. But the filter isn't normally available separately. They are integral with the pump and usually come only with a new pump.

If it were my car Id have the pump out of the tank and inspect the filter and replace it if possible were it to be clogged. I might reinstall the pump without the filter and see if the noise went away. That would confirm the filter being unsuitable.

Good luck! Now that you've got me curious tell us how the story ends!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
MedMantle

Thanks guys! I'm gonna take it out on the weekend and just have a look? If it turns out to be the pump maybe I'll just look for a 2nd hand one because as far as I've read they're pretty robust am I right?? It used to be intermittent but now I can hear it permanently.

After I take the seat out and lift the carpet, what can I expect? Any special tools I'll need?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
From my understanding it is tough to get the notched cover unscrewed from the top of the fuel tank. CTScott apparently used a wooden block and a hammer to hit it loose. Thee is a special tool from Toyota but it likely costs a stupid amount and may not be necessary.

Used would probably be ok as they seems to last the life of the car. However, you could look around on line and see if you can get the pump and filter separately as I'm pretty sure they are removable, they're just tough to find sold separately.

I'm interested in how your filter looks. It's not the same filter media as traditional fuel filters so it apparently doesn't need to be changed like others, but I'm curious as to the shape it's in.

To this day I've yet to be able to hear my fuel pump on either my Echo or Yaris even before I start it. They're darn quiet normally.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
MedMantle

My car has only done about 130,000 km's ** I don't hope it has something to do with the Injector Cleaner I was conned into buying a few months ago haha. If I can I'll make a video once my seat is off so you guys can hear, it is quite loud and at idle it can compete with my exhaust note :O
Old 11-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
MedMantle

Doing some research I found that a "grounding" problem might also cause the problem I have. It's almost weekend so I can start checking the pump **

On a side note, straining the window winder motor changes the hum AND causes my RPM's to drop quite a bit. The car shakes almost like it wants to stall... things are getting weird guys but I'll keep you up to date.

It's like everything happens at once :/
Old 11-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #8
bronsin

Wow I would try to duplicate the problem but I don't have pw.

Have to believe a misoperating fuel pump couldn't cause rpms to drop under those conditions...but it might.

I would is there a spec for current draw at the pump?
Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMantle View Post
Doing some research I found that a "grounding" problem might also cause the problem I have. It's almost weekend so I can start checking the pump **

On a side note, straining the window winder motor changes the hum AND causes my RPM's to drop quite a bit. The car shakes almost like it wants to stall... things are getting weird guys but I'll keep you up to date.

It's like everything happens at once :/
That makes it sound like you do either have a bad ground connection or loose or corroded battery terminal.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
MedMantle

Could a bad ground at the fuel pump be caused because I added other things with grounds to the chassis?
I have installed an Amplifier which is grounded at the rear right seats bolting point. I also have the cheap replica Foglights which I installed into the car's fuse box for the sake of having the dash light come on when I put them on and I installed OEM window winders with a home made harness.
These things couldn't possibly be sapping power from the Pump? I'll go check my Negative Battery Terminal later **
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #11
bronsin

Quote:
Could a bad ground at the fuel pump be caused because I added other things with grounds to the chassis?
I have installed an Amplifier which is grounded at the rear right seats bolting point. I also have the cheap replica Foglights which I installed into the car's fuse box for the sake of having the dash light come on when I put them on and I installed OEM window winders with a home made harness.
These things couldn't possibly be sapping power from the Pump? I'll go check my Negative Battery Terminal later **
Hmmm my advice for a long and happy care free Yaris life has always been don't add aftermarket electrical things like alarms, remote start, etc etc. because of all the problems Ive seen and heard they can cause. I hope this isn't your problem but if possible disconnect each of things one at a time and see if the pump motor doesn't return to normal.

My first move though would be to check whatever things CT Scott says to do!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Both of those could contribute. Depending on where you connected to for the ignition switched power for the lights, you may be directly connected to the power feed for the pump, as its power feed is one of the only easily findable ignition switched power feeds on the face of the under dash panel.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
MedMantle

I think I'll stop beating around the bush and just get that pump out ASAP. Electrically all my other components are fine and I have no noticeable issues. Normally I get my ignition switched power from under the steering column and my Perma 12V from where you've shown people (which is amazing BTW) ** My grounds are at the footwell near the door.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #14
MedMantle

Okay, so after battling with some stripped torx-head bolts I managed to remove my rear seats and pryed that cover off. I'm not too sure how exactly I'm supposed to remove the pump though.. do I leave the pipes on or do I open the Fuel Cap to depressurize and remove the piping and connector before I turn off the round plastic top?

I've been driving around seatless and it feels quite good but the road noise is terrible. I had a mechanic friend listen to the noise but he couldn't identify it.

I have discovered something else. It only appears after driving for about a minute. I drove down my driveway and back up and while I was idle it slowly started to hum and the volume also progressively got louder. I also found that when I turn my steering wheel while Idling in Neutral that the sound goes away as the RPM drops slightly. My friend also found If he turns full lock that the sound sometimes does NOT return till we blip the accelerator. It sounds like it is coming from the Fuel Pump's location but now things are just getting weird :/
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Okay, so after battling with some stripped torx-head bolts I managed to remove my rear seats and pryed that cover off. I'm not too sure how exactly I'm supposed to remove the pump though.. do I leave the pipes on or do I open the Fuel Cap to depressurize and remove the piping and connector before I turn off the round plastic top?

I've been driving around seatless and it feels quite good but the road noise is terrible. I had a mechanic friend listen to the noise but he couldn't identify it.

I have discovered something else. It only appears after driving for about a minute. I drove down my driveway and back up and while I was idle it slowly started to hum and the volume also progressively got louder. I also found that when I turn my steering wheel while Idling in Neutral that the sound goes away as the RPM drops slightly. My friend also found If he turns full lock that the sound sometimes does NOT return till we blip the accelerator. It sounds like it is coming from the Fuel Pump's location but now things are just getting weird :/

There is no pressure in the tank - Just in the fuel lines. Remove the EFI fuse and crank the engine a couple times to depressurize, then get to it.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:16 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
To remove the cap on the top of the tank in my car we created a tool out of 1" steel pipe. We took a 6" section and cut it open in a pea pod. Then took measurements for the exact diameter of the cap and welded the "open" sections that distance apart. It works like a champ as I have taken my tank out and apart now several times. Just a thought for you. I could take a picture or two of the "tool" if you need a visual, but it could take a couple days as the car is still in my buddy's shop as we work on my couple remaining items to move it back to my garage.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #17
MedMantle

Thanks for the tip CTScott, I will do that!

fnkngrv that would be a great help, I'll only be able to take a look at the pump on the weekend again though so whenever you can get a picture would be swell! :) We will be victorious guys.. **
Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 AM   #18
bronsin

Quote:
Thanks for the tip CTScott, I will do that!

fnkngrv that would be a great help, I'll only be able to take a look at the pump on the weekend again though so whenever you can get a picture would be swell! :) We will be victorious guys.. **
That's the spirit!

Although it may be a long slog.