Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #19
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
nice paver stones flooring
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #20
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
would be nice to have an enclosed garage, for those super hot days...
I followed a couple red Yaris' on Instagram recently. Been following a lot of Yaris owners in Indonesia, PR and other countries (they represent to the fullest!). At first glance of this pic, I thought I might be following your bro-in-law lol. Turns out I'm not, but that would have been some funny, small world stuff.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #21
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
one of the most correct statements ever posted on the internet!
Agreed. I payed quite a bit extra every year towards my previous one and paid down about 30k in principle extra over 2.5 years. It really make a big difference.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #22
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Leegamer - I estimate that I paid about $40,000 extra in principal payments in the last maybe 1.5 years alone. That took a lot of sacrifice. I agree, making big extra payments makes a huge difference! Just a couple years ago, I was paying maybe $400-ish of interest monthly. Now, I'm down to about $100 interest a month. As my salary went up, I didn't go out buying stuff, or go on vacation. Instead, I made extra principal payments. Once my duplex is paid off, freedom! And the rent from the other side of my duplex will pay for my high property taxes.

The fact that I still have my Yaris, and plan to keep it forever, is a symptom of my thriftiness. This year will mark the 10 year milestone of me owning this car. Most people don't keep a car for that long. I'm never going to trade in my Yaris or sell it. It's super cheap to insure and maintain.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #23
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Leegamer - I estimate that I paid about $40,000 extra in principal payments in the last maybe 1.5 years alone. That took a lot of sacrifice. I agree, making big extra payments makes a huge difference! Just a couple years ago, I was paying maybe $400-ish of interest monthly. Now, I'm down to about $100 interest a month. As my salary went up, I didn't go out buying stuff, or go on vacation. Instead, I made extra principal payments. Once my duplex is paid off, freedom! And the rent from the other side of my duplex will pay for my high property taxes.

The fact that I still have my Yaris, and plan to keep it forever, is a symptom of my thriftiness. This year will mark the 10 year milestone of me owning this car. Most people don't keep a car for that long. I'm never going to trade in my Yaris or sell it. It's super cheap to insure and maintain.
Agreed on keeping the yaris. It's not like I could sell mine for much. I bought mine brand new in 2008 and it only has around 160k but the interior is rough from me carrying tools and music equipment in it for several years and the pain is faded terribly. It's easy and cheap to maintain and comfortable enough for me (I'm easy to please). I'll probably end up giving it to one of my kids when they get to be driving age.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Ive found on the super hot days, youd rather be out in the breeze. The garage at my last place easily felt 10°c warmer in the garage than in the sun. I don't imagine the almost black asphalt shingles help that cause.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #25
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Ive found on the super hot days, youd rather be out in the breeze. The garage at my last place easily felt 10°c warmer in the garage than in the sun. I don't imagine the almost black asphalt shingles help that cause.
I'm planning on insulating the walls and putting in at least 1 window AC unit for the summer. For the winter I have a huge wood stove that should do the trick.

I'll get some pics uploaded today. It's dirty and currently full of building materials, but I think it will clean up rather nicely.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #26
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Agreed on keeping the yaris. It's not like I could sell mine for much. I bought mine brand new in 2008 and it only has around 160k but the interior is rough from me carrying tools and music equipment in it for several years and the pain is faded terribly. It's easy and cheap to maintain and comfortable enough for me (I'm easy to please). I'll probably end up giving it to one of my kids when they get to be driving age.
My car is the complete opposite of yours! It's absolutely pristine inside and out. Still looks like brand new. I gave up on detailing years ago. Since 2012, I've been having it professionally detailed (washed, waxed, interior vacuumed, engine bay cleaned) twice a year, for about $100 each time. I view it as just another maintenance cost. At the time of this writing, I've put just under 28,000 miles on the car. I admit that this is insanely low miles. About 10,000 of that was put on in the first two years of ownership. After that, I moved to an area within walking distance of a bus line. My job pays for my bus passes. I work in downtown Columbus, so taking public transportation allows me to avoid paying for parking. And I'm getting my passes for free, so why not. Anyway, when you drive only on the weekends, and you don't go on road trips, it's tough to put a lot of miles on a car!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #27
ern-diz

Quote:
This. You could swap the engine for a more powerful one for around $2k. Nothing on the car is too hard to fix. Would never get in trade or private sale what the car is worth as a second, reliable vehicle. Whenever I get around to buying a new car, which prob won't be for a while, I'll keep the Yaris. It's not leaving me unless it gets totaled out, Odin forbid.

Quote:
My car is the complete opposite of yours! It's absolutely pristine inside and out. Still looks like brand new. I gave up on detailing years ago. Since 2012, I've been having it professionally detailed (washed, waxed, interior vacuumed, engine bay cleaned) twice a year, for about $100 each time. I view it as just another maintenance cost. At the time of this writing, I've put just under 28,000 miles on the car. I admit that this is insanely low miles. About 10,000 of that was put on in the first two years of ownership. After that, I moved to an area within walking distance of a bus line. My job pays for my bus passes. I work in downtown Columbus, so taking public transportation allows me to avoid paying for parking. And I'm getting my passes for free, so why not. Anyway, when you drive only on the weekends, and you don't go on road trips, it's tough to put a lot of miles on a car!
Mine regularly gets comments on how clean it is and working from home has helped me keep the miles down but your mileage?

On Wheelwell
Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #28
Leegamer

I wouldn't mind doing the 2NR-FE swap on it eventually. Once I get an engine hoist and build up my tools stuff like that won't be hard. Especially since it's so well documented here.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #29
Leegamer

https://imgur.com/gallery/71b7czE

Link to some pics. The last pic is of a steel shed that's next to the garage that has a garage door and could easily fit a car.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Jeez, I'll easily put 28k on mine every year!
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #31
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
would be nice to have an enclosed garage, for those super hot days...
...is...that...a...racing seat for an outdoor dining table?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 PM   #32
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/71b7czE

Link to some pics. The last pic is of a steel shed that's next to the garage that has a garage door and could easily fit a car.

yea youve got lots of room and huge potential there
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #33
Hamster

ern-diz - Yeah, even I'm amazed at how few miles I put on my car. I can't figure out how I drove so few miles in an entire decade, but the odometer doesn't lie. But even if I drove to work, I don't think it would make a difference. I live just six miles from my job. And those would be all city miles, which would put a lot of wear and tear on the car. So, it's probably better that I take the bus. Also, I work from home two days a week. I don't go on roadtrips, either. Last time I drove out of state in the Yaris was probably in 2011. Otherwise, I fly to where I need to go.

Kaotic Lazagna - Do you live far from work, or do go on roadtrips? Or does your job involve a lot of driving? I did some math, and 28,000 divided by 365 days (presuming you drive everyday) works out to an average of about 77 miles per day. That's a lot of miles! I couldn't drive that much, even if I tried.

Leegamer - That potbelly stove is really cool! I wonder how old it is.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #34
Leegamer

Quote:
Leegamer - That potbelly stove is really cool! I wonder how old it is.
I'm planning on trying to look it up if I can find a serial number.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #35
ern-diz

Quote:
ern-diz - Yeah, even I'm amazed at how few miles I put on my car. I can't figure out how I drove so few miles in an entire decade, but the odometer doesn't lie. But even if I drove to work, I don't think it would make a difference. I live just six miles from my job. And those would be all city miles, which would put a lot of wear and tear on the car. So, it's probably better that I take the bus. Also, I work from home two days a week. I don't go on roadtrips, either. Last time I drove out of state in the Yaris was probably in 2011. Otherwise, I fly to where I need to go.

On Wheelwell
Old 01-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #36
Hamster

Leegamer - Cool, let us know what if you can figure out the year of that stove!