Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #73
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
The fit looks just like the yaris. If the yaris wasn't so well built and a toyota I'd have bought a fit. But Toyota in my opinion still makes a better built vehicle. As a mechanic friend said to me. Toyota puts more metal into what they build and their tolerances are more refined.

As gas milage goes. I still get 40+ with both my yaris's.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #74
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
A Fit Sport w/nav is $19,430 (w/destination)!

An Accord starts a just $1K more!

Never mind that it is priced alongside the Civic that is also supposed to be above it.
Funny you should say this, because a fully loaded Yaris cost the same as a Corolla or Matrix, and the Camry base model comes in at just a few thousand more. What exactly was your point?

Fully loaded yaris or a Fit Sport (No nav), same price, the Fit is MORE car...

If you don't like it (or Honda), just say it... Both economy cars are becoming less economy priced.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #75
niko3257

Drives: 07 Yaris / 09 Fit sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Funny you should say this, because a fully loaded Yaris cost the same as a Corolla or Matrix, and the Camry base model comes in at just a few thousand more. What exactly was your point?

Fully loaded yaris or a Fit Sport (No nav), same price, the Fit is MORE car...

If you don't like it (or Honda), just say it... Both economy cars are becoming less economy priced.

well said
i couldn't agree with you more.

as for MPG the yaris has a leg up but not by much.
might be because of ot's dohc vs the fits sohc
or it might be that the fit for 09 has 117 hp vs yaris
what is it exactly 106 hp i think.
everyone know more hp means less mpg.
also if nobody doesn't know the fit manual trans for 09
got over hauled for more zippy driving.
which means bad gas milage.
so many factor i don't know either.
also anyone looking at the ratings don't it's all bull.
everyone drives different. i get over 40+ mpg on my Fit.
just depends on how you drive.
for instance when i drove harsh i got 35 mpg
then another time i drove harsh i got 37 mpg.
i drove easy and got 43 mpg.

the yaris saden i got i drove easy i got 42 mpg.
i drove harsh i got 33 mpg.

so far these are my finding. coming from a guy
who has both cars.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:40 AM   #76
niko3257

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
HUH? allow it to kick who's butt in mpg? the chevy aveo? the fit has a drag coefficient of .30, which is good. the yaris sedan and hatch have drag coefficients of .29, even better. even the 09 corolla has a better cd at .29 as well. the yaris is quite aerodynamic.

all variants of the yaris are rated with at least 35 mpg, with the stick rated at 36 mpg. the ONLY fit rated at 35 mpg is the automatic base model. the stick base model fit is rated at 33 mpg. the sport fit (both auto and manual) are also rated at 33 mpg ( the body cladding/weight/transmission? likely hurts the mpg for the sport model by messing up the aerodynamics/gearing.)

i mean, c'mon. some of the fit variants actually went from 34 mpg in the 08 model to the current 33 mpg in the 09 model.

the reason i originally bought the yaris over the fit was due to the propensity of yaris owners to cosnsistently get 40+ mpg without much effort and the lack of consistency in fit owners reported mileage.

so, to rephrase: the yaris' aerodynamics allow it to kick butt in the mpg arena. honda should do their homework. a more aerodynamic fit could rock some mpg's.

I'd like to know where you got your info from on the drag coefficient of .30 for the fit?
cause i have been searching since before the car was on sale in the us.
I know all the people on FF would like to know also. cause they can't find
it. please state your source.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #77
imperial4ever

Drives: 2008 Hyundai Accent SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredayaris View Post
I hope you can enjoy it but for me it still looks like a minivan.

That is what is keeping me from buying the fit......
Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #78
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
There is not one car on the road that EVERYBODY is going to like. I happen to love the looks of the Yaris hatch, and I also happen to love the looks of my new 2009 Phit Sport w/Nav. I have never owned a car which is so well-designed, safe, and so space efficient! It has room FOR DAYS! I love the "magic seats" which allow the back seats to easily flip UP, giving you all the room on the flat floor. Those Honda engineers are SMART!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #79
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
I like the new Honda FIT more than the previous and I like both of them overall, better than the Yaris, but I'm not paying 2-3,000 more for a car similarly equipped to our Yaris which also gets worse FE. This car segment is all about saving money for most people and until Honda Canada puts their prices inline with the Yaris, they will continue to lose sales based on price and FE alone.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #80
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
[QUOTE=niko3257;157745]I'd like to know where you got your info from on the drag coefficient of .30 for the fit?
QUOTE]

i went here:

http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...relations.aspx

i called them ealier this year when i was looking into the fit and the corolla as my next car. i also could find absolutely nothing about the cd on the fit, which i found odd since its not hard to find this info somewhere on most cars. the person i spoke with could not answer my question, so took my email and said she would get the answer from a tech person. i got an email about 2 or 3 days later. admittedly. it was something to the effect of "thank you for your inquiry. it appears the drag coeffieint for the new fit is .30."

in fairness, perhaps i should not have stated it as a pure fact.

to be honest, i wasnt too confident in the validity of that answer, but at the time i figured it must be one reason why the fit wasn't rated higher on the highway. if the fit was more slippery than a yaris, why would none of the fits be rated as high as the yaris manual, and only one of the fits (the base auto) be rated as high as the auto yaris? also take into account the the automatic base fit runs at lower rpm's on the highway than the yaris automatic, so something is keeping the highway mpg from being any higher.

i understand that frontal area may play a role in additon to the cd, so perhaps the fit is taller and/or wider than the yaris. or maybe its more simple (i.e. the yaris engine is just more fuel efficient than the fit engine)

it may be nitpicking, since i think driving style will dictate who gets 40 mpg and who gets 35 mpg given the same route. i believe if i drove any fit, i could achieve very close to the same numbers as i do in my corolla and at least come very close to what i did in my yaris.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #81
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Folks - Please - Listen. My '09 Fit Sport is rated at 28 CITY and 33 HWY.

I am getting well into the 40s on the highway. Better than my Yaris LB at the same speeds on the same highways. I don't know how to be more clear. FIT > YAIRS in MPG. Many folks on FitFreak are reporting similar MPGs. http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...ports-yet.html

Toyota needs to wake up and smell the coffee that Honda is stealing from them.

Honda has made a more refined car, with better HP, room and MPG. Granted at a few $1000 more. It also has better options like - Cruise control, NAV, TCS, VSC, 7 airbags standard. Come on...

The Yaris is cute compared to the Fit, but the fit is a way better car in every other aspect.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #82
roxy1

this is interesting. out of curiosity, i decided to see if i could get linked directly to a technical support person at honda. so, i called the above referenced contact number. the rep put me on hold to see what she could find out from a tech person, but would not let me speak directly to one. after about 4 minutes, she came back and read this, verbatim, to me:

"Because of the many different methods of calculating drag coefficients, Honda Motor Corporation chooses not to publish these numbers."

i guess that is the reason why nobody can find this information on the net. i have found this info on every car i have researched except the fit, though i was provided with a cd number for the 09 fit (as discussed above) this summer. ive seen cd numbers on older civics. its an odd stance they are taking on this.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #83
roxy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post

I am getting well into the 40s on the highway. Better than my Yaris LB at the same speeds on the same highways. I don't know how to be more clear. FIT > YAIRS in MPG. Many folks on FitFreak are reporting similar MPGs.

Honda has made a more refined car, with better HP, room and MPG. Granted at a few $1000 more. It also has better options like - Cruise control, NAV, TCS, VSC, 7 airbags standard. Come on...

The Yaris is cute compared to the Fit, but the fit is a way better car in every other aspect.
i agree the fit is an overall better car. it should also cost more than a yaris.

the facts are: the yaris is rated higher in mpg than the fit. many yaris owners are getting outrageous highway mileage. i do not hypermile and i got an average of 42.38 mpg's (over a 13 month period) on a suburban commute which included traffic lights and stop signs, and 3 months of that was michigan winter.

there are too many 09 fit owners who are not achieving great mileage. i have found , more consistently, yaris owners who get great mileage.

bottom line. the fit is an overall better car. it should be as it costs a fair amount more than a yaris. the yaris beats the fit more consistently in mpg.

i have a couple friends who drive fits (2007 and 2009 models). it seems that they cant accept that the yaris beats the fit at one single thing. they both paid $4000 more than i paid for my yaris ($12800). i tell them its ok, to accept that they paid more and got a better car with a bit fewer mpgs....and RELAX... if you wanted a cheaper car with higher mpg's..should have bought the yaris.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #84
nsmitchell

I have gotten great highway miles in my Yaris. Over 46MPG. You could see my posts except for the YW site crash. The only thing is my Fit got 46.6mpg on the highway using cruise control at 65MPH. My scanguage tells me that my Yaris just can't pull those numbers unless I'm hypermiling. If I hypermiled the Fit it would most likly get in the 50s, which I only got once in my Yaris, going 55MPH with cruise control on a fairly flat highway.

The Fit's 5 speed auto may be responsible for the great MPGs.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #85
niko3257

i don't know where you guys are getting these figures from?
this is as per honda site usa.
base fit mt 14,550
base fit at 15,350
sport fit mt 16,060
sport fit at 16,910

as per toyota site which only had these
base yaris 3 door mt 13,715
base yaris 5 door at 15,174
no sport manual to compare?
sport yaris at 17,874

now these toyota figures are configured to match
what the fit has. but yaris still doesn't have enough
option to compare exactly.
there is no base 5 door manual either so i used 3 door.
as you can see numbers are really close.
and to those buying sport 5 doors you are paying more.
17,874 yaris vs. 16,910 fit.
thats a total 964 difference.
thats some rims to me. i don't know about you.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:44 PM   #86
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko3257 View Post
i don't know where you guys are getting these figures from?
this is as per honda site usa.
base fit mt 14,550
base fit at 15,350
sport fit mt 16,060
sport fit at 16,910

as per toyota site which only had these
base yaris 3 door mt 13,715
base yaris 5 door at 15,174
no sport manual to compare?
sport yaris at 17,874

now these toyota figures are configured to match
what the fit has. but yaris still doesn't have enough
option to compare exactly.
there is no base 5 door manual either so i used 3 door.
as you can see numbers are really close.
and to those buying sport 5 doors you are paying more.
17,874 yaris vs. 16,910 fit.
thats a total 964 difference.
thats some rims to me. i don't know about you.
Yep, and a 09 Fit Sport already has sweet alloy rims, and is lowered enough so as to not need a lowering kit. It already handles like a dream.

I know I'm getting a unpopular around here from all the Fit talk, but I'm just amazed at how great the car is. My little Yaris just doesn't compare AT ALL. I hate to say it, but it's quite true. I can't even say the Yaris gets better MPGs, beecause it doesn't.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #87
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
many people here are bullheaded and narrow sighted . Why such hatred over the car you drive is beyond me . IT'S A CAR !!! Show some .
Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #88
bobby

Drives: 2007 Yaris/2009 Phit Sport
I love my new Phit too! Owning both the Yaris (which I still love, so don't jump down my throat!) and now the Phit I can tell you without any hesitation that the Phit is a better car. It is quieter, it handles better, brakes shorter, is safer, and has much more useable room inside.

I also love the orange color. Do you?
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #89
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post

I am getting well into the 40s on the highway. Better than my Yaris LB at the same speeds on the same highways. I don't know how to be more clear. FIT > YAIRS in MPG. Many folks on FitFreak are reporting similar MPGs. http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...ports-yet.html

You may get 40 MPG but I can gaurantee you if I was driving, it wouldn't - period.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #90
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
I love my new Phit too! Owning both the Yaris (which I still love, so don't jump down my throat!) and now the Phit I can tell you without any hesitation that the Phit is a better car. It is quieter, it handles better, brakes shorter, is safer, and has much more useable room inside.

I also love the orange color. Do you?
No, I don't.

And the 4 door thing, um ya - NO.