Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
EstherK

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan
Faint smoky smell in car?

Over the last two days, I've been noticing a faint smoky smell in my car. I'm speculating that it came from the air conditioner/heater. I know that when I first used the heater, there was a burning smell. Then that went away. Am I just imagining things? What does this mean, if anything? I'm also wondering if it's from outside rather than originating in the car. Any help would be much appreciated.
EstherK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
id3379
§†ęĄ¶‡Ћ-NCP96

it's really hard to tell when were not there to smell it ourselfs...

Suggestions --> air freshener ?
id3379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Look for a small stoned elf in your back seat.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Have you not had the heater on for a while? If not, it could have been dust settled in the system that cooked off.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
This happens more oft than naugt:

Person tosses cigarette butt out of moving car in front of you, butt finds way into ventilation system, car smells like stinky butt. If you are in disbelief there is TSB for Nissan (altima?)which are prone to sucking in discarded cigarettes into the engine intake and starting underhood fire

Open you glovebox and remove all parcels and deritis; push inwards sidewalls of box and jerk downward allowing box to override hinge stops. Now you can view the heater box area, there is gray-white rectangular shape cover with push tabs, you revove this cover and you can see into fan area (centrifugal-styled cage blower) and looking for Mouse and Squirrel nesting or other flotsam and jetsom.

Sonja's Papa

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 11-26-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fat fingered
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
This happens more oft than naugt:

Person tosses cigarette butt out of moving car in front of you, butt finds way into ventilation system, car smells like stinky butt. If you are in disbelief there is TSB for Nissan (altima?)which are prone to sucking in discarded cigarettes into the engine intake and starting underhood fire

Open you glovebox and remove all parcels and deritis; push inwards sidewalls of box and jerk downward allowing box to override hinge stops. Now you can view the heater box area, there is gray-white rectangular shape cover with push tabs, you revove this cover and you can see into fan area (centrifugal-styled cage blower) and looking for Mouse and Squirrel nesting or other flotsam and jetsom.

Sonja's Papa
I don't think anything bigger than an uncooked RICE can find way inside the ventilation system. Not from outside anyways. Bugs and such can get in easy though, because they can crawl through other holes and such.. but if you look carefully. The only place of entry of fresh air is through the holes (with a grill under) right above the top of the hood. From the passenger side to be precise. So no.. a cig butt cannot blow through those holes and get into the system..

it's not like back in the days.. where you can actually get a wood stick through the vents :lol:
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote