Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
His brother Ziggy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
maintenance at dealer or shop?

Hey everyone, I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me out.

My breaks are about shot my 07 Yaris (I do alot of driving for work) and was going to bring it in to the dealer where I got the car ( Mahattan Beach Toyota ) for maintenance and was wondering what people thought about going to dealers for that sort of thing. I've never had any work done yet of my car so I'm a little nervous about where I take it. Should I go there or to a shop? Also, if anyone is in the Los Angles area could they recommend a good shop to go to. Thanks a bunch.
His brother Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
You haven't even hit 5,000 miles to do the first maintenance yet?

I personally think a good shop is as good as any dealer, but going with the dealers can help if you ever need to use the warranty.

I have a little over 20,000 miles already and this last time (20K service) was the first time I didn't go to the dealer. But my dealer is an hour and a half away, or I would have went there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. =)
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
How many miles on your car? What makes you say your brakes are shot?

You can take it to the dealer and then take it to the other shop for a second opinion. But you are likely going to be charged for diagnostics/testing at each shop. 9 out of 10 times the dealer is more expensive. I personally don't trust any shop with my car, but I would trust the dealer more (especially if you had service done at the dealer and you feel comfortable with them).
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
No doubt the dealer knows your car better than a fix-all shop, but brakes are pretty generic on cars and require no special tools or knowledge to replace the pads and resurface the rotors. You'll pay more at a dealer, sometimes double what an independant will charge. I've had my breaks done by chain type stores-LesSchwab and they always guarantee their work. I've also had my regular mechanic replace the pads and never had any complaints afterward. Check Cartalk.com and look at their recommended mechanic files for someone local you can trust. Dealerships are convienent, but pricey.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Most "Brake & Muffler" shops will check your brakes for free.

I think you should look at the brakes yourself and get some experience.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
kelevra
2012 CBR1000RR Hoo Yaaa

Drives: 08 3 door Hatch
Smaller repair shops (with good reps) are always the better move.
Dealers have to pay techs, service writers, overhead, and the owner gets his cut too. You go to a reputable, small mechanic, well you're prolly just paying him. I'll bet his hourly wages come in a ton less too. There are reasons dealerships are called Stealerships. I'm done with them, warranty work only.
kelevra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
You still haven't said why you think the brakes are bad.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Pretty much any shop can do brakes. Just dont take it to a franchise as likely everything wont be cleaned and properly lubricated and you will get away with exactly what you paid for. Cheap brake job with cheap parts and cheap labor.

Take it to a shop with a good reputation of good quality work that uses quality parts. Yelp is a good place to read up on a potential shop. Or just ask around. Dealerships are starting to get more competitive on thier prices especially on regular maint and repairs such as brakes. Just because its the dealership dosnt mean you are getting the best quality. If only youve seen what ive witnessed or the horror storries ive heard from other mechanics and service writers who have worked at the dealer as well.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
Dealer has more interest in seeing your car fixed right the first time and in seeing it run problem free longer. They want you liking their products reliability so as to ensure you will come back and buy another. The shop down the street, they don't have that motivation, yea sure they would like to see you come back, though if you don't someone else will walk thru their door thinking maybee they will save a few bucks as compared to the dealer. Go to the dealer.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote