Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Intermitent problem with remote lock dosnt unlock drivers door only when it rains....

Has anyone come across this problem. Thier remote key fob dosnt unlock the drivers door. Especially when it rains it seems. If i lock it and then unlock it again sometimes it work. But usually just involves me using the key to unlock the door. It unlocks all the other doors but not the drivers door. Before anyone says just take it to the dealer. Right now I am working 55 hours a week on adverage and i just do not have time. What I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what was the solution. I have the dealer isntalled aftermarket alarm system if that helps.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I started typing a whole thing about checking various points for moisture, then had an epiphany. This sounds like the classic issue where if the door is locked with the lock button before closing it, you can't unlock it with the aftermarket keyless entry. Do you sometimes lock it as you exit, rather than always hitting the button on the remote?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Nope i never do that.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Nope i never do that.
OK. In that case, back to it being a moisture related issue.

Pop the driver's side kick panel and check the wiring connections (lock and unlock are theoretically connected there) and check for moisture (a leaky windshield seal could result in water finding its way into there).

If everything is OK there, pop the door panel and check the connections on the door lock actuator.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
YarisSedan

I just checked all that. Dosnt seem to be moisture and the plastic barrier seems intact. The door lock actuator seems good and checked all connections. After fiddling around ive determined that locking the lock button on the key fob or the switch on the door can lock the the door. If its unlocked manually with the key or from inside. But it can not unlock the car. Ive never seen a door lock fail like that. it usually jsut works or dosnt. Seems now it dosnt work intermitently but just plain wont unlock anymore. Only key works now. Which is really annoying and i already scratched the door handle with the key accidentally late last night in the dark.

I think i might just ahve to make an appointment with the dealer and see if they can arrange for me a loaner car. I do have aftermarket speakers but the factory harness wasnt cut. Ive always had problems ever since they installed the alarm system.

Plus i think they did a lousey job. The plastic trim around the steering wheel was installed incorrectly and i had to unscrew it and put it back together properly. And the led was installed crooked. Which bugs the hell out of my every day i look at it since i have ocd.

This is something i would expect from a discount stereo shop. But not the dealer. Since they are so claimed "professionals" which is why i dont like to let anyone else work on my car but me unless i have to.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Most dealers don't install the aftermarket alarms/remote starters/keyless entry systems themselves, but rather use contractors, hence the hack jobs often seen with the non-oem gear.

Did your car have power locks from the factory, or did they add the actuators when they installed the alarm?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
YarisSedan

No it was all factory. Only the small little box the so called alarm system was isntalled aftermarket. The only difference i could tell once the alarm was installed is my car goes beep beep when i lock it now with the key. Ive never seen a door lock actuator fail i only one position. Hence only locks but not unlocks. Usually just quits working and then you gota change it. Thinking about borrowing my friends power probe and see if i apply power on one side if it locks and unlocks on the other side. But i dont really feel like working on my own car when im off work. This is something that really shouldnt have a problem this car is still new.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
No it was all factory. Only the small little box the so called alarm system was isntalled aftermarket. The only difference i could tell once the alarm was installed is my car goes beep beep when i lock it now with the key. Ive never seen a door lock actuator fail i only one position. Hence only locks but not unlocks. Usually just quits working and then you gota change it. Thinking about borrowing my friends power probe and see if i apply power on one side if it locks and unlocks on the other side. But i dont really feel like working on my own car when im off work. This is something that really shouldnt have a problem this car is still new.
Agreed with them not typically failing in one direction (unless there is a mechanical issue with the locking mechanism, as opposed to an issue with the actuator). Does the lock switch unlock it when the remote won't, or is the key the only thing that works?

Considering the car is new, a trip to the dealer is probably the best bet, particularly to gripe about the lack of quality of the install.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Has anyone come across this problem. Thier remote key fob dosnt unlock the drivers door. Especially when it rains it seems. If i lock it and then unlock it again sometimes it work. But usually just involves me using the key to unlock the door. It unlocks all the other doors but not the drivers door. Before anyone says just take it to the dealer. Right now I am working 55 hours a week on adverage and i just do not have time. What I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what was the solution. I have the dealer isntalled aftermarket alarm system if that helps.
Make sure your doors and trunk are closed completely. Check to make sure nothing is preventing complete closure. If they are not closed completely the remote will not function properly.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote