Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
asulkan

Drives: yaris
Passenger weight sensor problem! car wont start!!

Ive recently bought a Yaris and ive noticed every time i put something on my passenger seat the alarm comes on for the seatbelt to be buckeled up. I took matters into my own hands and cut the wire that is connected to the seat. The car subsequently will not start now even after ive reconnected the wires.
I have tried to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, checked all the fuezes and nothing seems to work.

If anyone knows how to trouble shoot this I would be very greatfull. I live in the country and a tow bill will be an outragous amount haha

thanks

simon
asulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
does it not crank over or

it cranks but won't start..?

how much fuel is in the car?

is the airbag light on?

also, with the ignition on, try sitting in the passenger seat, buckling the belt, unbuckling the belt and shutting off the ignition. if you've hooked up the wire correctly (did you just twist it together or solder, shrinktube it?) this may cycle the airbag warning system. not sure if that would keep the car from starting though. that sounds like an unrelated issue.

and why again did you cut the wire instead of unplugging the seatbelt latch sensor?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by asulkan View Post
Ive recently bought a Yaris and ive noticed every time i put something on my passenger seat the alarm comes on for the seatbelt to be buckeled up. I took matters into my own hands and cut the wire that is connected to the seat. The car subsequently will not start now even after ive reconnected the wires.
I have tried to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, checked all the fuezes and nothing seems to work.

If anyone knows how to trouble shoot this I would be very greatfull. I live in the country and a tow bill will be an outragous amount haha

thanks

simon
Don't know the answer, but when you figure it out, get a seatbelt extender from the dealership and just stick it into the buckle, then tuck the rest between the seat and console. Dealer supplies them for free. I had to do that for when I hauled my dachshund around.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Call a dealer-any in the country who's service department might still be open and beg for mercy from a service advisor and see if he can give you some tips to try. They may have experienced this before or have an idea of what happend when the wires were cut. Good luck.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i still don't see the correlation between airbags and the car not starting.. aren't there multiple members here who have disabled or removed their sensors/airbags with no issue?

double check those fuses
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #6
Fenrizwolf
I used to have more posts

Drives: '10HyundaiTucson'07Impreza
ummm no one else has said it so i will, that was dumb.
Fenrizwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrizwolf View Post
ummm no one else has said it so i will, that was dumb.
wow...nice response!

Anyway, yes, some have disabled the airbags..Staypuft is one..but I'm not sure if that was ONLY for the drivers side....maybe Garm has some answers when he checks in.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Turn the key on. Does the check engine light perform a bulb check and turn on? This tells you the computer is functioning and does not have a problem. Second when you try to start the car. Does it attempt to crank but not start? Or does it just continousely crank and nothing happens.

If i were you i really would just tow it the the local dealer and just fess up to what happend. If you play dumb it will really piss them off once they find out what happend and are going to charge you a arm and a leg to fix the problem since they know they got you by the you know what.

If you fess up and just let the service writer know what happend. If you are lucky and get a good service writer they may just take care of you. Or charge you minimal to perform the needed repairs.

More than likley cutting the wire to the passanger seat tripped saftey device. Thinking maybe the car was involved in a seriouse collision which is why the vehicles electrical connections to the seat is missing. And in return shut off fuel to the engine to possibly prevent fire? I don tknow just something really random im throwing out there. Since once you connected everything back to normal something has to be reset.

What you may try doing is removing the EFI fuse from the fuse box for awile and plugging it back in to reset the computer. Or disconect the battery overnight. The capacitors may still have energy for the computer so it wont be completely reset by disconecting the battery. Or what you can do is disconet the negative run a jumper wire from the negative terminal disconected to th epositive battery post. Most of the time this will instantly discharge the capacitors and whipe the computer memory.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
wow...nice response!

Anyway, yes, some have disabled the airbags..Staypuft is one..but I'm not sure if that was ONLY for the drivers side....maybe Garm has some answers when he checks in.
my airbag does not work in the passenger side, tried going to the dealership but they couldnt get the CAN working on my car, sucks but i still have to do more research on it. if your car wont crank try the ecu fuse box in the engine bay.

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote