Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
parking sensor kit

Hi everyone,
I am thinking of installing parking sensors kit. Being too close to the curb when parallel parking (do not want to scrape those aluminum wheels) and then distance to the another vehicle. Nothing fancy, probably just a audio alarm would be good.

Did the forum search, but did not find any info.

Can anybody share their experience and point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The parking sensor kits mount to the bumpers, so they won't really help with curb rash on wheels. You could use the old-school "curb feelers".
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
http://www.autopageusa.com/t_inside....1-961fe48a838a

I installed this kit on my Yaris. Simply put, it works well.

You can move the sensors wherever you'd like really. It's a basic kit and it works. CT is correct in practice, these sensors do mount to the bumper (as in the picture), but being crafty, I see no reason why they can't be mounted other places.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Curb feelers do work, but unless I could make the retractable it will likely not happen. I can see your point that sensors will likely not pickup the curb. Never drove a car with this equipment so I do not have a feel for the sensitivity.

To “sqcomp” That looks like impressive kit.
I may experiment and temporarily glue the sensors in different locations, like maybe closer to the corner and lower as long as I do not pickup reflection of the ground.
Did you paint the sensors? As black would not do. Did you connect power supply to the reverse lights? Does the gauge mount with double sided tape? Would be nice if it was wireless.

Thanks for your input.
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Here's the thing, they come in black. What you're seeing is the stock Autopage sensors on an OEM Flint Micha paint job.

Now, I can say with certanty that the sensor portion of the units does need to be untouched. How do I know this? I had a previous kit painted OEM Flint Micha. It didn't work well at all.

The sensors come with "sleeves" that act as mounting baffles for the sensors. You could paint the sleeves and not worry about the sensors.

Yes, I did connect the sensors into the reverse lights and yes, the sensor mounts with tape. I hid mine under the instrument cluster since I would operate by sound anyway as I didn't want to worry about mounting the little display.