Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
YarYarBinks

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to YarYarBinks
Question Serpentine belt squeals on cold start up after replacement.

Had it replaced almost 3k miles ago. I have a warranty for the work. Just wondering if that is normal. It also squeals when turning is maxed out. Not sure if that is the same belt. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
YarYarBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Some belts don't last very long, and some (dayco) are often noisy from the start.
The belt probably squeals/slips when at full lock because the alternator is trying to keep up to the demands of the electric power-steering.
Probably do well to try a different brand of belt if all else appears good.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Just tighten it a bit, it may have stretched. The colder winter weather can make the belt harder than the summer months thus a tendency to squeal some. Also, I recommend OEM only belts...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
^If anything, in cold weather, loosen it a tiny bit because the cold has caused it to shrink.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Some belts don't last very long, and some (dayco) are often noisy from the start.
The belt probably squeals/slips when at full lock because the alternator is trying to keep up to the demands of the electric power-steering.
Probably do well to try a different brand of belt if all else appears good.
Cheers.
Sorry posted that while tired and stupid. Was thinking the yaris had an auto-tensioner. Most likely the belt has stretched a little (which is normal). Sometimes you don't get it quite right when guessing how far it will strecth. If you take it back the them they should adjust it for you for no charge and that will likely be the end of your squeal.

Cheers,
Cory
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Talking

CoryM is correct. Last week I took my Yaris in to have the belt looked at re recent squealing (at 207,135 miles I certainly can't complain about the life of the original belt). The belt started squealing again after replacement. I found a related post on Yahoo! Answers where an ASE certified mechanic stated in is just about impossible to guess with 100 percent accuracy how much the belt will stretch in the first 90 minutes or so of use. He stated just to take it back to where you had it replaced and 99 times out of a hundred they will adjust it for free and it won't slip again. I took it back this week, the shop gladly adjusted it for free and even said if it continues to squeal we'll gladly adjust it again until it is right (this is a second generation family shop that has been in business since 1973). The adjustment worked just fine - no more squealing. These sure are great cars! A few weeks after my last post in 2009 I finally had to replace the battery at 138k miles and a bit later replaced all 4 tires at 140k miles (70k on the originals and 70k on the first replacements). Between 140k and 170k I replaced the headlight bulbs and the rear plate holder light once each and I had to replace the alternator at 159k miles. Last week when I took the car in re the belt at 207,135 miles I also had them check the brakes as they were making a funny noise -- all that was needed was a minor 45.00 rear brake adjustment and cleaning of worn pad residue as the FRONT AND REAR BRAKES ARE ONLY 20 PERCENT WORN! I do 40 percent city driving, so PDG! Yarisworld and Youtube member Trini, if I remember correctly, didn't have to have his brakes redone until over 400,000 miles. The minor adjustment was exemplary -- no more sound and my parking brake feels like new as well. Add 15 oil changes and 1 air filter change to what I've already described, and that's it. I was going to get a new Yaris in 2010, but I now think i'll keep this one as long as it makes sense re operating costs and then will get a new Yaris. The current tires will last a bit past the 70k of the last 2 sets. I am up to 45 US states now in the Yaris and will add ND, MT, and ID later this year to finish out the 'Lower 48'. I also am trying to make it to 'All 4 Corners. I've already made it to Miami, Key West, Border Field State Park in San Diego, and the Quoddy Head Lighthouse near Lubec, Maine. Later this year I'll make it to Blaine and to Neah Bay in Washington and hope to eventually make it to Madawaska, Maine. I added some of the pink 50-50 coolant mixture from the Toyota dealer to my overflow reservoir today -- it was hard to see the level (even with a service writer looking at it as well -- the exterior of my overflow reservoir is even cloudier than that of Yarisworld member gabriel2012) and soon I will get my spark plugs changed for the first time as a precaution (not re MPG drop -- I'm still at last 22 tanks in a row over 40 MPG combined).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Talking

CoryM is correct. Last week I took my Yaris in to have the belt looked at re recent squealing (at 207,135 miles I certainly can't complain about the life of the original belt). The belt started squealing again after replacement. I found a related post on Yahoo! Answers where an ASE certified mechanic stated in is just about impossible to guess with 100 percent accuracy how much the belt will stretch in the first 90 minutes or so of use. He stated just to take it back to where you had it replaced and 99 times out of a hundred they will adjust it for free and it won't slip again. I took it back this week, the shop gladly adjusted it for free and even said if it continues to squeal we'll gladly adjust it again until it is right (this is a second generation family shop that has been in business since 1973). The adjustment worked just fine - no more squealing. These sure are great cars! A few weeks after my last post in 2009 I finally had to replace the battery at 138k miles and a bit later replaced all 4 tires at 140k miles (70k on the originals and 70k on the first replacements). Between 140k and 170k I replaced the headlight bulbs and the rear plate holder light once each and I had to replace the alternator at 159k miles. Last week when I took the car in re the belt at 207,135 miles I also had them check the brakes as they were making a funny noise -- all that was needed was a minor 45.00 rear brake adjustment and cleaning of worn pad residue as the FRONT AND REAR BRAKES ARE ONLY 20 PERCENT WORN! I do 40 percent city driving, so PDG! Yarisworld and Youtube member Trini, if I remember correctly, didn't have to have his brakes redone until over 400,000 miles. The minor adjustment was exemplary -- no more sound and my parking brake feels like new as well. Add 15 oil changes and 1 air filter change to what I've already described, and that's it. I was going to get a new Yaris in 2010, but I now think i'll keep this one as long as it makes sense re operating costs and then will get a new Yaris. The current tires will last a bit past the 70k of the last 2 sets. I am up to 45 US states now in the Yaris and will add ND, MT, and ID later this year to finish out the 'Lower 48'. I also am trying to make it to 'All 4 Corners. I've already made it to Miami, Key West, Border Field State Park in San Diego, and the Quoddy Head Lighthouse near Lubec, Maine. Later this year I'll make it to Blaine and to Neah Bay in Washington and hope to eventually make it to Madawaska, Maine. I added some of the pink 50-50 coolant mixture from the Toyota dealer to my overflow reservoir today -- it was hard to see the level (even with a service writer looking at it as well -- the exterior of my overflow reservoir is even cloudier than that of Yarisworld member gabriel2012) and soon I will get my spark plugs changed for the first time as a precaution (not re MPG drop -- I'm still at last 22 tanks in a row over 40 MPG combined).
Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Have you got the correct belt fitted? I have seen four rib belts fitted to six rib pulleys many times. Use an OEM belt and clean the pulleys with methylated spirit. If the belt ha sbeen slipping it will be worn, renew it. One further point some replies mention the belt stretching. Belts do not stretch, they are designed to grip on the sides of the V's and they wear, consequently the belt will sit deeper in the groove and become slack giving the impression it has stretched. Eventually the belt will wear enough to try and drive from the bottom of the groove instead of the sides, then it will squeal and no amount of tightening will make any difference. It is a very common myth that belts stretch if anyone still thinks they do, try and stretch one! I have seen them tested and they will take a phenomenal load before they snap.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Just tighten it a bit, it may have stretched. The colder winter weather can make the belt harder than the summer months thus a tendency to squeal some. Also, I recommend OEM only belts...
mine was also squeaking a bit when starting (just over 20k miles)
me and my buddy tightened it up he also pulled one of the mounts ? (or something) so it had less slack i guess. he sprayed some lube shit in there and now it seems to not squeak. il prob get new belts at 25k just to be safe
also a little off topic but is 25k a good time to check water pump ?

is there only one belt in the yaris?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
Mine had that problem too , after they replaced with new belt from toyota dealer at 59 k miles. . Less then 3k miles it was making squeaking noise. Got replaced by other shop $135.00 for new belt installed :( . At least no more annoying squeaking noise after starting the engine btw i never had this kind of problem with other cars i owned haha. :)
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Geoff is right, the use of the word stretch is more likely to conjure up the image Geoff was illustrating (not being able to take the belt in your hands and stretch it) and not what the ASE certified mechanic was trying to illustrate. The word expand would have been a better choice for the mechanic to use to illustrate his point. The mechanic was explaining a particular measurement regarding installing this belt and gave what Toyota says the measurement should be. He then gave what the measurement should be per toyota after the install and the engine has run a bit and the allowed (but not necessarily actual) difference could be up to 2 mm ( only78/1000ths of an inch) and still be considered normal. He didn't break the reasoning down an additional level, but this did seem to make some sense to me as heat does make some compounds (for lack of a better term) expand. I don't know if what makes up a serpentine belt would expand up to this 78/1000ths of an inch threshold, but I think Toyota thinks it might unless they has some other reason for allowing for the 78/1000ths of an inch (which is certainly possible). I wish I could remember where I found that passage so I could locate it again. My belt continues to perform well and not slip after the post-initial slip adjustment. I just filled up my gas tank a couple of hours ago and during the depletion of this tank I had my oil and filter changed, had the rear brake shoes adjusted and cleaned, bought some of the pink 50-50 coolant distilled water mixture and poured some into my overflow reservoir (now right at the fill line), and had the new serpentine belt installed and later successfully (at least slip wise) adjusted. I got almost 2 more MPG (43.88 MPG combined city and highway on this just depleted tank---539.2 miles on 12.288 gallons) than I have recently been averaging with the same terrain and driving habits. I don't know if this recent maintenance helped directly, but it couldn't have hurt.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
hayden

Drives: asd
This seems like a decent place to ask. I was trying to adjust my belt this past weekend and couldn't figure out how to loosen the lower bolt on the alternator. There was barely any room for my to fit my socket wrench in there, and there was no way I was going to get enough leverage to actually turn the wrench enough to loosen it (much less tighten it).

Am I going at it right? Do I need to loosen that lower bolt from under the car?
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
That puppy is VERY tight! I too, had a diffficult time breaking the bolt free. It just takes a lot of force. A longer handle will give you the leverage req'd.

As a side note to the OP, sometimes you just cannot get the belt to not squeal even though the tension and belt etc are correct. These are the times when I revert to the WD40 trick I learned as a kid. (soap works too). I spray a coating on the inside of the belt and let the motor idle for a while. The lube softens the belt and makes the contact surface smoothe and it affords more grip on the pulleys. the squeals usually went away after a short while. Most never came back more than once.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #14
yaris-cowboy
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 silver 4 door Manuel
Back in October headed to the ranch my serpentine belt broke so I replaced it but my 07 standard transmission toyota yaris still wouldn't start a couple months later I got a chance to do some more looking around and the female end on my timing sensor broke off of the Chrome cylinder so I replaced it but my car still will not start any suggestions or answers
yaris-cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:56 AM   #15
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
I wouldn't bother taking it to a shop to get a belt replaced. You can get quality belts under $25 and it takes a few minutes to install. Problem with this car is getting the tension right, since there is no tensioner.

I had a dayco that kept stretching and needed to be tightened everyday, and so I returned it. I bought a bando which is the OEM manufacturer for $15 with tax shipped, and it ended up being much better.

Bando is OEM for many companies, but I've also heard mitsuboshi being the best
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
Rick G
Owner

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yarris
Yarris belt squealing

To all who are tired of the belt squealing. I have read here about people altering the alternator bracket for more tension. Don`t, it is not necessary. I talked with a Dayco belt tech, I explained the new belt ran out of adjustment and he gave me a different belt number, # 504065 which is a shorter belt. The one listed by Toyota and auto parts stores is to long. Also do not use belt dressing, not necessary or advised. I now have plenty of adjustment to tighten the belt !!
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
dirtbag
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
Wow you guys are changing these out much more frequently than I do. On my 2000 Echo which I bought used in 2004 with 77,000 (kms) on it I changed the belt once and got rid of the car with about 415,000.
That said I really got the full life from the belt. When I finally replaced the belt the vees had separated and except for about a 6 inch section it was four individual belts.
My maintenance routine is rather poor but the Toyota is tough enough to take it. With 415K on the odometer the car still had the original tranny (manual) fluid & coolant. I changed the plugs at about 200K - but it probably didn't need it.
Not sure if my 08 Yaris will withstand the same abuse.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote