Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Abodame99

Drives: Silver 07 LB
windshield crack!

a crack started forming yesterday. it started at the bottom, right in the middle. i inspected the windshield thoroughly and couldnt find any chips or marks on the glass that would start the crack. it really came out of nowhere! insurance is useful for some things i guess!
Abodame99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
In FL your windshield will be replaced for free!

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
don't let them repair it, if they say the crack is to small to justify them replacing the whole thing, tap it a couple times....as long as its' length is greater than the length of a dollar bill, you are entitled to a free windshield....my gf just had the same thing happen to her versa

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
k2vitz

Drives: Vitz 2006
A crack in the wind screen will increase with the time; so replace it as soon as possible.
k2vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
brianb

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Let it sit out in the sun and let the glass get really hot. Hit it with the hose and watch the crack get bigger.
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate YARlantIS View Post
In FL your windshield will be replaced for free!

don't let them repair it, if they say the crack is to small to justify them replacing the whole thing, tap it a couple times....as long as its' length is greater than the length of a dollar bill, you are entitled to a free windshield....my gf just had the same thing happen to her versa
i dont believe it! who pays for it? the state?
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
No, Florida state law requires your insurance company to replace your cracked windshield without you having to pay a deductible...

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
No, Florida state law requires your insurance company to replace your cracked windshield without you having to pay a deductible...

Cheers! M2
NY has no deductible too, BUT you must buy the glass coverage on your ins. policy or you're outta luck...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I got a rock chip today that has a small crack associated with it (less than an inch). Turns out my insurance company will pay for a repair if it is possible, with no deductible. I guess it is cheaper for them in the long run; but Texas doesn't have the same windshield law as Florida so I am happy they (the insurance company) is willing to pay for it. I guess it is cheaper in the long run than if they have to replace the entire windshield (even after the deductible).

Lesson learned, always check with your insurance company!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I got a rock chip today that has a small crack associated with it (less than an inch). Turns out my insurance company will pay for a repair if it is possible, with no deductible. I guess it is cheaper for them in the long run; but Texas doesn't have the same windshield law as Florida so I am happy they (the insurance company) is willing to pay for it. I guess it is cheaper in the long run than if they have to replace the entire windshield (even after the deductible).

Lesson learned, always check with your insurance company!

Cheers! M2
trying to repair with no deductible is VERY common... much less expensive to to a $50 repair than to replace a $1000 windshield(ford escape with the heated windshield)
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 AM   #11
enobmort42
First time DIYer

Drives: '07 LB Polar White
Send a message via AIM to enobmort42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abodame99 View Post
a crack started forming yesterday. it started at the bottom, right in the middle. i inspected the windshield thoroughly and couldnt find any chips or marks on the glass that would start the crack. it really came out of nowhere! insurance is useful for some things i guess!
ahh! sorry to hear about that! but good news is, it's true what they say. i had a crack in my last car with FL insurance and had it replaced at a little place on s. nova. 4 brothers or something? it was a while ago, but it was a no hassle thing.