Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #19
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by puetato89 View Post
i love premium gas.... yes its more expensive, wastes faster, and isnt really made for this car but.... it DOES clean out your engine and will improve mpg in the long-run... this is facts not an opinion so dont shoot the messenger
Got a link to these facts?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #20
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
as soon as i go back 2 my old school(mid-florida tech) and tell you the book name... and yes it was legit book

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #21
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
i love premium gas.... yes its more expensive, wastes faster, and isnt really made for this car but.... it DOES clean out your engine and will improve mpg in the long-run... this is facts not an opinion so dont shoot the messenger
i agree with everything EXCEPT the wastes faster part. my tanks seem to last longer with the premium fuel but i think its just me being a BOY RACER........

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh59 View Post
I filled up my 1.3 auto Yaris yesterday with BP Ultimate. This is the first time I'm using premium fuel since petrol price has gone down a bit and I just want to try it for fun. This morning, I noticed that my cool engine light went off about 30% quicker than it normally took when I use regular unleaded. Not sure whether this is due to the premium fuel. Have anyone experienced this as well? I didn't notice any difference in the power though. Might be because I rarely rev my engine beyond 2500rpm. Will keep a close look at the cool engine light tomorrow again to double check.
I know theres a lot of discussion in this thread. But I just want you to know that your light probably went off earlier only because the temerature varies and was probably higher on that day. In winter it takes a lot longer for the light to go off and in summer some days the light does not even come on. It could be something simple like parking your car in the sun. If your car is warmer then the light will go off sooner. Just the way it is. I doubt the BP Ultimate makes your car run hotter.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #23
puetato89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
i agree with everything EXCEPT the wastes faster part. my tanks seem to last longer with the premium fuel but i think its just me being a BOY RACER........
well the reason i say it wastes faster is because it burns easier allowing the engine to be at ease and instead of work 2wice as hard

Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #24
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
well the reason i say it wastes faster is because it burns easier allowing the engine to be at ease and instead of work 2wice as hard
i wouldn't say that using premium fuel puts less strain on the motor. thats like saying using premium fuel causes it to heat up faster........

Old 12-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #25
kou

Drives: 08 lb
at less than $20 a tank full reg or pre who cares what you put in.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #26
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kou View Post
at less than $20 a tank full reg or pre who cares what you put in.
True Dat
Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #27
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
high octane = hotter burn because it's a slower burn..

not recommended without a significant timing advance (which your stock ECU is not gonna do)..

if you put premium in a generator or lawn mower you'll notice the exhaust glowing red.. it's WAY TOO HOT..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
puetato89

like i said if and when i go to my old school ill pick up a book and post the article on premium gas...

Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #29
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Higher octane has NOTHING to do with flame speeds within the combustion chamber or combustion temps. Octane ONLY pertains to a fuel's ability to resist preignition and/or detonation. Premium fuel will not harm your engine.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #30
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
Higher octane has NOTHING to do with flame speeds within the combustion chamber or combustion temps. Octane ONLY pertains to a fuel's ability to resist preignition and/or detonation. Premium fuel will not harm your engine.
if your engine does not know to advance timing (taking advantage of the higher octane's resistance to detonation) then how will you be fully burning the fuel in the given amount of time of each power stroke?
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #31
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
The Octane rating of the fuel has nothing to do with flame front speeds....in other words regular and premium fuels take the same amount of time to burn.

As far as our car's ability to "sense" the type of fuel in order to advance timing...that's not how it works. The ECU runs the most advanced timing it can, and retards when detonation is detected. The manual says the car can run on regular, not that it was designed to run on regular. Barring any information as to the specifics from Toyota about how aggressive the timing was programmed to get, and taking into account the fact that the 1NZ runs a pretty high compression ratio of 10.5:1, I would posit that the ECU has the capability to retard timing to run on regular, rather than no ability to take advantage of premium.
I would also through out the idea that running regular gas in hot/dry climates may be running the ECU pretty close to it's limit of compensation. I say this because LtNoogie basically couldn't run his new supercharger in pretty cool/wet conditions under any kind of load without getting detonation on regular gas. The Blitz kit is only putting out around a half a bar of pressure, which, if the ECU was programmed specifically for regular gas, should not max out the ECU's ability to adjust the timing to that extent. If he was able to run O.K. on regular (detonation only under extreme load/high ambient temps.), then I would be a little more receptive to the idea that the car was designed to run specifically on regular.

The bottom line for me is this:

Will the car run fine on regular? Yes it will.

Will the engine be producing its maximum performance on regular? No. Detonation will cause the ECU to retard timing, thus keeping the engine from seeing the most advanced timing that it can.

If anyone has any hard data from Toyota concerning the ignition and anti-knock programming for the ECU I would really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone with a scangauge running regular could post some data about their ignition timing vs. load and intake temp that would be really cool. I’ve posted my data here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #32
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
there is no point of putting premium on the yaris. its not a sporty engine. by all mean, if it makes the engine warm up quicker go for it.... A Current Affair or Drive did a test with E10,Unleade & Premium. E10 is came last in mileage, follow by unleaded & winner is Premium. anyway....
leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #33
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchta View Post
The Octane rating of the fuel has nothing to do with flame front speeds....in other words regular and premium fuels take the same amount of time to burn.

As far as our car's ability to "sense" the type of fuel in order to advance timing...that's not how it works. The ECU runs the most advanced timing it can, and retards when detonation is detected. The manual says the car can run on regular, not that it was designed to run on regular. Barring any information as to the specifics from Toyota about how aggressive the timing was programmed to get, and taking into account the fact that the 1NZ runs a pretty high compression ratio of 10.5:1, I would posit that the ECU has the capability to retard timing to run on regular, rather than no ability to take advantage of premium.
I would also through out the idea that running regular gas in hot/dry climates may be running the ECU pretty close to it's limit of compensation. I say this because LtNoogie basically couldn't run his new supercharger in pretty cool/wet conditions under any kind of load without getting detonation on regular gas. The Blitz kit is only putting out around a half a bar of pressure, which, if the ECU was programmed specifically for regular gas, should not max out the ECU's ability to adjust the timing to that extent. If he was able to run O.K. on regular (detonation only under extreme load/high ambient temps.), then I would be a little more receptive to the idea that the car was designed to run specifically on regular.

The bottom line for me is this:

Will the car run fine on regular? Yes it will.

Will the engine be producing its maximum performance on regular? No. Detonation will cause the ECU to retard timing, thus keeping the engine from seeing the most advanced timing that it can.

If anyone has any hard data from Toyota concerning the ignition and anti-knock programming for the ECU I would really appreciate it.

Also, if anyone with a scangauge running regular could post some data about their ignition timing vs. load and intake temp that would be really cool. I’ve posted my data here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=14

Old 12-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #34
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Keep reading http://www.baileycar.com/gasoline_html.html

Bit long but the jist is=
Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the
factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in
price.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Keep reading http://www.baileycar.com/gasoline_html.html

Bit long but the jist is=
Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the
factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in
price.
right now percentage hike is what 5 cents.........

Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #36
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
right now percentage hike is what 5 cents.........
Still not worth it
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote