Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Did Toyota issue an updated TSB? Their last one didn't recommend 0w-20 for the Yaris.
Yes, and over a year ago. Toyota issued a TSB which states one can use 20 weight oil in their 1.5L engines.

For the millionth time!

See attached official Toyota TSB, and you will see that the Yaris 1.5L engine can use 20 weight.

And yes, I've been using 0W-20 in my Yaris for the past 54,000 miles. Increase in MPG is just around 1% however. I use the light stuff so that it gets circulated quick during cold morning starts. Quick circulation means less wear and tear during the first start up. And it is during the first start up that 90% of engine wear happens. My engine does not consume any oil after 5,000 miles. The engine runs smooth and no strange sounds coming out of it either.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toy_W-20_TSB.pdf (25.4 KB, 22 views)
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Yes, and over a year ago. Toyota issued a TSB which states one can use 20 weight oil in their 1.5L engines.

For the millionth time!

It states 5w-20 NOT 20 OR 0w-20

Quote:
See attached official Toyota TSB, and you will see that the Yaris 1.5L engine can use 20 weight.
NO, you're drawing your own stupid conclusions again to alter their "5w-20" recommendation to fit into your straight 20 and 0w-20 needs for a southern Ca. climate condition that never needs 0w oil in the first place.

Quote:
And yes, I've been using 0W-20 in my Yaris for the past 54,000 miles. Increase in MPG is just around 1% however. I use the light stuff so that it gets circulated quick during cold morning starts. Quick circulation means less wear and tear during the first start up. And it is during the first start up that 90% of engine wear happens. My engine does not consume any oil after 5,000 miles. The engine runs smooth and no strange sounds coming out of it either.
You don't need to worry about cold morning startups, you live in so. Ca. ...and film strength always plays a part in not wearing and tearing your internals. Not saying you'll blow your motor or make it drink oil, just saying that you're asking for trouble for using a viscosity that is NOT listed for the Yaris in the Toyota TSB...did you do a XD engine swap? Yes? Then that'd be okay...Yaris 1.5 still, not okay, according to the Toyota TSB that you like so much but can't comprehend.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i think you guys were all related to GW bush the way you fight over oil

lol
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #22
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i think you guys were all related to GW bush the way you fight over oil

lol

I fight over what Toyota says is right for our motor...I don't like bad and maybe very costly advice being handed out.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
Tamago

Quote:

I fight over what Toyota says is right for our motor...I don't like bad and maybe very costly advice being handed out.
nor do i..

but if 100 people on YW say that 0w20 is ok to run, then its fact.. don't bother opening that thing in your glove box (owners manual) YW says it, it's true!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
Yaribhini
Banned

Drives: Yaris
I highly, highly suggest that one runs what the factory calls for in regards to viscosity and weight. Especially for those that have never owned a car that utilizes a timing chain configuration.
Yaribhini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaribhini View Post
I highly, highly suggest that one runs what the factory calls for in regards to viscosity and weight. Especially for those that have never owned a car that utilizes a timing chain configuration.
Which is 5w-30 (5w-20 recommendation added later), and that's what I use...1% over the 40+mpg that I already get isn't worth the risk of using a viscosity that isn't listed on the Toyota TSB...unless of course you're forced to quote only a part of the multi-viscosity rating to fool yourself into thinking it's okay to use the wrong oil

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
1stToyota

Quote:
nor do i..

but if 100 people on YW say that 0w20 is ok to run, then its fact.. don't bother opening that thing in your glove box (owners manual) YW says it, it's true!
Or bother looking at the oil cap

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #27
Tamago

Quote:
WAIT, wait.. toyota puts information like that on the cap?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #28
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
yes, my oil cap says 5w30
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #29
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:

It states 5w-20 NOT 20 OR 0w-20

NO, you're drawing your own stupid conclusions again to alter their "5w-20" recommendation to fit into your straight 20 and 0w-20 needs for a southern Ca. climate condition that never needs 0w oil in the first place.

You don't need to worry about cold morning startups, you live in so. Ca. ...and film strength always plays a part in not wearing and tearing your internals. Not saying you'll blow your motor or make it drink oil, just saying that you're asking for trouble for using a viscosity that is NOT listed for the Yaris in the Toyota TSB...did you do a XD engine swap? Yes? Then that'd be okay...Yaris 1.5 still, not okay, according to the Toyota TSB that you like so much but can't comprehend.

ALL the oil brands that sell 0w-20 make the claim that that their oil is a great match for ANY 5w-20 application. AMSoil, Mobil1 and others make this claim.

And you are dead wrong about California and 0w weight oil. Anytime the ambient temperature is below 40F one will IN FACt benefit from 0w oil. You are also very foolish to think that it does not snow in California. It does in fact.

Film strength and viscosity have NOTHING to do with each other. And in fact, there are some 20 weights that provide film longer then heavier oils.

What you fail to understand is that 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the SAME protection at full operational temperatures. The difference is during the first morning start of the cold day. And if a 5w is fine, then a 0w will be too. This is true according to AMSoil, and Mobil1 and ALL other makes that make 0W oils.

According to Toyota, 5w-20 can be used safely in a Yaris 1.5L engine. Now, that being true, one can ALSO use 0w-20, 0w-30 too for our Yaris engines, and this according to ALL the makers of 0w oils.

It is too bad you behave like you know more about oil then Toyota, AMSoil, and Mobil1.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #30
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
..or bother reading TSB's, that are published AFTER Toyota printed their caps....
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #31
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
So is four quarts of Castrol 5w-30 way to much?? I checked it and it is over the full line a little bit , but not drastically.
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:11 PM   #32
1stToyota

Quote:
..or bother reading TSB's, that are published AFTER Toyota printed their caps....
That say 5w-20 is for the Yaris, not 0w-20

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #33
1stToyota

Quote:
ALL the oil brands that sell 0w-20 make the claim that that their oil is a great match for ANY 5w-20 application. AMSoil, Mobil1 and others make this claim.
All but Toyota on Toyota's TSB. Funny that Toyota says 0w-20 is awesome for the Camry, but the Yaris needs 5w-20

Quote:
And you are dead wrong about California and 0w weight oil. Anytime the ambient temperature is below 40F one will IN FACt benefit from 0w oil. You are also very foolish to think that it does not snow in California. It does in fact.
Fool, 5w is winter weight, southern Ca doesn't need 0w, and the Yaris isn't supposed to use 0w-20, based on Toyota's TSB...it's the info that matters most to the Toyota dealership

Quote:
Film strength and viscosity have NOTHING to do with each other. And in fact, there are some 20 weights that provide film longer then heavier oils.
The oil that most resembles K-1 kerosene propbably needs to get to the valve train and cam lobes quicker.

Quote:
What you fail to understand is that 0w-20 and 5w-20 provide the SAME protection at full operational temperatures. The difference is during the first morning start of the cold day. And if a 5w is fine, then a 0w will be too. This is true according to AMSoil, and Mobil1 and ALL other makes that make 0W oils.
If that's true then Toyota wouldn't make a distinction between the two grades...shove what AMSOIL and what Mobil1 says about 0w-20 because it's NOT what Toyota says about 0w-20 for the Yaris motor (fact)

Quote:
According to Toyota, 5w-20 can be used safely in a Yaris 1.5L engine.
Yes.

Quote:
Now, that being true, one can ALSO use 0w-20, 0w-30 too for our Yaris engines, and this according to ALL the makers of 0w oils.
Wrong. One can't say that about any Toyota TSB ever issued for the US Yaris 1.5L...not 0w-20, not 0w-30

5w-20 and 5w-30, and that's the way it'll be until you can fully quote, exactly, a multi-viscosity recommendation of 0w-30 or 0w-20 for the Yaris in a Toyota TSB

Quote:
It is too bad you behave like you know more about oil then Toyota, AMSoil, and Mobil1.

Show me where Toyota says that "0w-20" is okay to use in the 1.5 Yaris motor on the Toyota TSB...you can't include Toyota with AMSOIL and Mobil1 because they don't agree with Toyota. They list "0w-20" but Toyota TSB will not list "0w-20" for the Yaris 1.5...you drawing your own conclusions isn't good enough for me, I'll stick with Toyota TSB and owner's manual recommendations.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #34
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
yes, my oil cap says 5w30
mine says TRD........
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #35
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
mine says TRD........
that must mean you can use Peanut butter instead of oil, since the cap doesn't designate specific oil weights!!
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
that must mean you can use Peanut butter instead of oil, since the cap doesn't designate specific oil weights!!
i use oil from the mexican joint down the street. when i hit the block im smelling like bean burritos......
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote