Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
about timing

When my 07 was running ,it was racing idle and running rough. I know the cam gear is sticking at least but it might not get fixed depending on money.
I think the ECM is geting a bad signal to feed more gas based on the cam position sensor. It comes and goes but the idle races badly off/on and timing is generally advanced badly.
Here is the question... will a regular non dealer tech be able to adjust the timing
with the aim of just making it better if not right on??? I dont think it will be
really right until everything is fixed but it might make it more tolerable.
another question..is there any way for myself to adjust the timing without the
dealer computer program??? do any of the basic scan type tools have the ability to make minor adjustments??? this is a good question for that Toyota tech
who posts here..
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
When my 07 was running ,it was racing idle and running rough. I know the cam gear is sticking at least but it might not get fixed depending on money.
I think the ECM is geting a bad signal to feed more gas based on the cam position sensor. It comes and goes but the idle races badly off/on and timing is generally advanced badly.
Here is the question... will a regular non dealer tech be able to adjust the timing
with the aim of just making it better if not right on??? I dont think it will be
really right until everything is fixed but it might make it more tolerable.
another question..is there any way for myself to adjust the timing without the
dealer computer program??? do any of the basic scan type tools have the ability to make minor adjustments??? this is a good question for that Toyota tech
who posts here..

I have a Toyota TechStream tool, and with it you can make temporary adjustments to many things for testing, but you can't make permanent changes to these kinds of parameters. Plus, the timing is variable, so you'd have to change the algorithm to do what you are speaking of.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
I put a new water pump on and short serp belt and went for a test drive. Sure enough the idle was racing to 4k when I came to a stop. Just by chance I turned off the fan for the defroster and the idle went to normal. I played with it and sure enough the whole idle issue was fixed by turning off the fan. That little bit of voltage drop from a tired battery was getting a dramatic reaction from the ECU.
Now its fine . I ordered a battery and assume that will fix the fan problem.
I got 170K out of the original battery. My scan gauge always showed a good voltage but I think its wrong. If I had known I would have replaced it a while back.
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote