Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
09 A/C knob won't turn to outside air

My mom has an 09 Yaris 3-door hatch and recently can't switch her a/c knob from inside air to outside air. When I turned it, it felt as though there was an obstruction preventing it from fully engaging to to outside air and would jump back toward inside air.

Of course, as fate would have it, we leave to go to the dealer today and she tries it out and it works.

She now has a suspicion that maybe something in her passenger-side glove box went over the top and fell behind it to block the mechanism. Is this even a possibility? I was trying to find some dash diagrams but could find what I was looking for.

Thanks for any info!!
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Something from the glove box could do it.

In the picture below, the glove box is removed. The intake door is the white part with the black gasket, just below the round support bar. The cable from the knob that drives it is on the right side, just above the door for the cabin air filter.

Behind Glovebox.jpg
Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
KRAZGRL
Crazy Girl (Kasey)

Drives: 09 Yaris 3D; 05 R6; 00civic si
Thanks! I'll just take out the glove box and see what the culprit was. :)
KRAZGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
btw, I have a similar problem.. but it is worse 'cause I am strong and stupid.. I think I broke it.. (it would not rotate, but I did it) ((
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I thought I broke mine too, but around the mid-way point there is extra resistance, just try to rotate a little bit harder and it should "roll" right over it.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote