Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
T-SportPT

Drives: Toyota Yaris TS
Send a message via MSN to T-SportPT
[Photos] Yaris II by TRD

Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Yes please!

Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Pretty stupid to bother putting in a cage, and then not have proper 4pt belt placement. In a rollover crash have the shoulder belts at that angle can end up compressing your spine.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I'm pretty sure that's a bona-fide race car, though.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
I'm pretty sure that's a bona-fide race car, though.
With rear seats in the back? Extremely doubtful.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Actually this is a repost.....with better pictures however. This is a factory optioned Vitz hence the rear seats, etc.

Earlier post with links: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
With rear seats in the back? Extremely doubtful.
These are just a dress up for the Vitz Cup in Japan. Of course the rear seats can be taken out but cars racing in the Vitz Cup are also street registered.

http://www.trdparts.jp/list_race_vitz91.html

http://netz-fls.broadbandgw.ne.jp/

Please have a look before pointing that it's stupid.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
These are just a dress up for the Vitz Cup in Japan. Of course the rear seats can be taken out but cars racing in the Vitz Cup are also street registered.
Fair enough, but that doesn't really meet my definition of a "race car", which would be a car that is intended solely for racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
Please have a look before pointing that it's stupid.
I said having the selt at a 45 degree angle instead of 90 degree angle is stupid - because it is. That's why every professional race car is built with 90 degree (if not higher) shoulder belts, and it's why belt manufacturers recommend that. Since these are obviously not professional race cars, and are intended to be streetable it's likely that there's no cross member there since it would be a hazard for rear-seat passengers.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #9
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Maybe it's just a show car, or a display car.

Regardless, I think it looks cool.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
Maybe it's just a show car, or a display car.
No, as SmellyTofu pointed out it's for a race series in Japan. Kind of what "stock car" racing should be - racing cars that are, well... stock. With the exception of some (poorly implemented, imo) safety gear.

It's a cool idea, I wish we had stuff like that in the US. Manufacturer-support amateur racing series, that is.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Yes, it's a race for upcoming racers and a very "cheap" way to enter motorsports. The Netz Cup is the bottom end of the racing. There is (was I think) an Altezza Cup as well but obviously a little more expensive.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 AM   #12
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
I like the TRD Vitz. Why? it looks great and sticks to the small wheel base that the Yaris should be sticking with. Not droping giant 17-18's on it.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 AM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I like the way the car looks too, but Idjiit is right, having the belt like that is more likely to kill the driver than help him.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
I like the way the car looks too, but Idjiit is right, having the belt like that is more likely to kill the driver than help him.
Actually, according to Sabelt's installation notes, that setup while not optimal, would conform to FIA rules. If they are mounted to the rear belt mounting points, the angle wouldn't be any greater than 45° from horizontal plane. Since the cage doesn't have a cross member, then that's the only way to mount them.
Remember, this is just a modified stock Vitz RS.
Harness Mounting notes
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

It may conform to FIA rules, but you will not find them mounted like that in any professional racing car.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #16
Calidrifter

Drives: 1997 Nissan 240sx
Why do you keep insisting that it should be professional when you already got the definition of the race. And by FIA standards the only safetybelt manufacturer legal is willans which will cost about 800 per seat belt to get. Anyway look at the Vitz cup as an amature track day and then tell me how pro that seems.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter
Why do you keep insisting that it should be professional when you already got the definition of the race. And by FIA standards the only safetybelt manufacturer legal is willans which will cost about 800 per seat belt to get. Anyway look at the Vitz cup as an amature track day and then tell me how pro that seems.
Uh, what? Willans makes nice stuff, but what do you mean by "legal"? There are plenty of FIA-sanctioned events with cars that are not using Willans.

I'm harping on this because a lot of dumb kids end up putting in belts like this not realizing that it can actually endanger their lives. Just trying to get the word out that if you want to do things properly, you don't want your belt at a 45 degree angle. If you're just throwing them in for an Auto-X where you want to be pinned to the seat, fine. But for a daily driver they can actually be more dangerous than a normal belt.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #18
Calidrifter

Drives: 1997 Nissan 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Uh, what? Willans makes nice stuff, but what do you mean by "legal"? There are plenty of FIA-sanctioned events with cars that are not using Willans.

I'm harping on this because a lot of dumb kids end up putting in belts like this not realizing that it can actually endanger their lives. Just trying to get the word out that if you want to do things properly, you don't want your belt at a 45 degree angle. If you're just throwing them in for an Auto-X where you want to be pinned to the seat, fine. But for a daily driver they can actually be more dangerous than a normal belt.
Well on the Willans that was the info I got off the FIA site but it was a while back I assume things have changed since I last looked up the rules, I was just saying that that was the only safety manufacturer that FIA had appointed as 'a legal safetybelt.'

As for the young and dumb kids doing this I totally agree with you. Especially since here in So Cal I see it all the time. Hell I have even stopped a couple of people to tell them that there belts could possibly kill them.

Also I think that thats the reason why they left the factory belts in the car so that they could use it for daily driving.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote