Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
nugget
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2011 Keyless Automatic
Yaris wont start/dead then started working again

Hi guys,

Really hope someone can shine some light on this issues, I have felt my 2011 Yaris is very reliable, up until today.
Keyless, petrol version with automatic transmission

After work, I got to my Yaris and the keyless system opened the door as per usual, I got in and pressed the start button. The dash went on and then suddently everything went dark. Nothing happened. The car was completely dead.
I tried using the buttons on the key, jerking the automatic gear which was stuck on drive, pressing the start button with the break applied. Nothing happened. It didn´t respond to anything I did.

Baffled I opened the driver door and when I did, everything went back on again. I checked the dash and it was bright and clear (not a weak battery) and put the gear into normal and pressed start. Everything worked and I had a somewhat worriedsome journy back to the house.
The clock and my selected radiostation was defaulted, but apart from that, everything seemes fine now.
I tried starting, stopping, locking the car and all sorts of stuff when I got back, but no problem.

Does anyone know this could have been. A one time glitch or something I need to check out? Basically, should I be worried?
nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
I'm not a car mechanic, but that's probably just like you said a one time glitch or a bad savety switch.

Let me explain, but i'm not 100% sure since i have no experience with automatic transmissions. So manual transmission have something that's called clutch acuator and basically it's a safety feature that you can't start up the car unless you have the clutch fully depressed. That's manuals for you, however i heard that a lot of automatic cars won't start up in park, so you have to put them in neutral and all of a sudden they start up. So you said that the car was in drive. Maybe for some reason the car thought you were in park or so.

Second you may wanna check if you battery is connected properly. Make sure the contacts are tight and clean.

Basically i can't tell you what it is i'm just guessing and trouble shooting :D

Last edited by DiCaprio; 04-19-2017 at 10:45 AM.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
---> https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-safety-switch <---

Read this article about bad or failing neutral safety switchs. Sound equally to what you described

"3. Engine does not crank at all, regardless of the transmission gear

If the engine will not crank at all, it's typical of a neutral safety switch that is experiencing electrical issues. In this case, no power is flowing through the neutral safety switch to the starter relay. This prevents the starter motor from cranking the engine. This symptom indicates a completely open electrical circuit inside the neutral safety switch which may be due to a faulty relay, blown fuse, or electrical problem with the switch itself. If the issue is with the switch, it will need to be replaced."

"Security system. Many vehicles have a security system that will activate the neutral safety switch in order to keep the vehicle from starting. The security light will usually go out with all of the other lights on the dash. If it stays on, than that may be the issue that is keeping the vehicle from starting"
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Check that your battery cables are tight, and not corroded.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
spiderweb1967

Drives: Stock
Fusable Link on your positive cable as well as like someone suggested tighten battery cables. If I understand correctly you had power than everything went off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spiderweb1967 is offline   Reply With Quote