Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Leaking rear wheel cylinders?

Anyone else have this problem? I have replaced them quite a few times from the bleeder screw getting stripped. I've used dorman and raybestos. My new one seems like its leaking from the cup seal and even the one I had on from a year and half ago was leaking too? This is the raybestos aftermarket ones. Is this normal? Doesnt seem to loose much fluid if any, but there is always fluid under cups with them.

Also replaced brake shoes
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
They should not leak at all, I'm not sure of the quality of Raybestos wheel cylinders but Dorman is generally viewed as cheap junk to be only used as a last option. If you've replaced them and they're leaking now I would check if the seal is seated correctly. If that doesn't fix it I would look for a good non chinese made wheel cylinder or an OE one.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
xdarkxfirex

I replaced the dorman one with raybestos and it still leaked. I'm shocked, I always assumed raybestos was one of the better brands. I ended up ordering centric premium cylinders from rockauto, with new drums as well. I opted for the premium instead of Ctek, werent much more.

The only real reason I replaced OEM is because the bleeder screw threads have seized on my old ones, so when I install new ones, I just put a small dab of permatex silver antiseize on the threads
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Ya they definitely shouldn't be leaking. If you have no luck in the future try and find lifetime warranty ones from a place like partsource. At least that way you don't have to keep spending money when they leak.

The seized bleeder screw is one of the reasons I bleed my brakes at least every 2 years. Keeps them moving. When I bought my Vibe I had to replace the rear wheel cylinders due to seized bleeders
Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
I did my brakes a few days ago and noticed the left rear cylinder was oily and there was some fluid behind one of the rubber caps. Also, the bleeder was a rusty mess that didn't want to back out.

I am not did not bother with the aftermarket. Got one from the dealer for around $50. It was more money than the aftermarket, but I figure working brakes are kind of important.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
$50 is actually fairly reasonable, up here it would likely be closer to $100
Old 04-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
xdarkxfirex

You live in the same city as me. I actually got them from hamilton discount auto parts. They were $14 and change each, and raybestos branded. Best price I found in the city, but luck wasnt on my side. I emailed raybestos, they have a lifetime warranty on theres too. Many times that doesnt mean anything. Many companies will make it impossible to warranty without the retailer accepting it back (Which I found most wont after 1 year). What are the odds that so far I have had three leaky wheel cylinders from them just on the yaris? Its like a waiting game wondering when the one on the right will go too.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:32 AM   #8
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
When you say "leaking", what are you seeing? It's not uncommon for the assembly lube to ooze out over time and leave a film on the outside of the cylinder.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
When you say "leaking", what are you seeing? It's not uncommon for the assembly lube to ooze out over time and leave a film on the outside of the cylinder.
Cheers.
The outside was covered in oil with some running down the backing plate. One of the rubber boots was full of brake fluid when peeled back. Also, the bleeder we completely rusty. It was frozen in the cylinder. Even when broken loose, it kept fighting the whole way out.

Once the cylinder was removed, the ends of the cylinder were compressed just to see what would come out. There were some rusty and brass flakes in the fluid.

Took longer to get the tools out and bleed the cylinder than it did so swap it out. Of course, I sprayed the end of the brake line and retaining bolt with penetrating oil a few days before it was changed.
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote