Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
More supercharger problems

Hey guys, I recently installed a blitz supercharger on my 2009 yaris and I'm having issues with my air fuel ratio.
I currently have a weapon R intake, DC sports header, and a custom mandrel bent 2.5 inch midpipe with the secondary cat deleted. I also have the blue 1zz-fe injectors, along with an AEM FIC.
My tuner says that I'm not getting enough fuel and that I need 350cc injectors. I'm wondering if maybe there's a bad connection with the Fic, as it was also turning off the car whenever it was disconnected from the laptop.

I've done a little bit of research on the forum and I believe CTSott said the stock fuel system should handle 12 psi of boost, so I'm wondering why I'm having this problem.
Any suggestions or advice would be great. ^.^
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I run green 1ZZ injectors, but I can't remember the part number off hand. I run rich enough at idle to spew soot and water, but drop to 12 AFR almost instantly when the Blitz kicks in (the OEM wideband doesn't go below 12).

*edit*

Looks like they're 23250-0D040, 255cc
http://clean.injectorrx.com/denso-fuel-injectors/
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like for one thing that the F/IC is not wired properly into ignition switched power, but rather is getting powered by the computer's USB port. Did you use a boomslang harness or wire it directly?

Also, the with the F/IC you really do not even need to upgrade the injectors to the 1ZZs. The reason why people upgrade the injectors with the Blitz fuel controller is that it is designed to work with a bone stock Yaris, so if you have anything that helps the engine breathe easier, you will run lean. With the F/IC you have better control, so the stock injectors would be fine (but the 1ZZs keep you in a lower duty cycle for the injectors, so there is no need to swap back).
Old 03-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Black_griffin6

It's with the boomslang harness.
We had it all wired up for the blitz fuel controller and everything using the harness to splice into.
I do believe you're right and it's not getting power. My buddy unplugged all the connections for the fuel controller and FIC when the supercharger didn't work initially
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
It's with the boomslang harness.
We had it all wired up for the blitz fuel controller and everything using the harness to splice into.
I do believe you're right and it's not getting power. My buddy unplugged all the connections for the fuel controller and FIC when the supercharger didn't work initially
On the boomslang you will see the power wire. You can either connect it at the ECM to pin 28 of the smaller connector or under the dash to the red wire on the end of the TPMS ECU connector.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Black_griffin6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On the boomslang you will see the power wire. You can either connect it at the ECM to pin 28 of the smaller connector or under the dash to the red wire on the end of the TPMS ECU connector.
Where is the red TMPS wire located?
Every wiring diagram of my wiring harness is different for the small connector, like it lists certain connectors that don't exist on mine.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Where is the red TMPS wire located?
Every wiring diagram of my wiring harness is different for the small connector, like it lists certain connectors that don't exist on mine.
right behind the passenger glove box. The red power wire is not the one visible in the second picture (next to the green), but rather the one hidden on the back side.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Your tuner doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to the injectors to be totally blunt. That is one of the biggest problems out there especially with this car. People out there think that if you throw bigger injectors at the motor it "fixes" things. That is merely a band-aid fix when it is actually a fuel delivery related issue.

Like Scott said there is no reason for you to swap back to the stock injectors again, but definitely DO NOT waste your money on bigger injectors. I didn't start running out of fuel until my latest tune at 9.5psi of boost on my turbo with the modified FPR and that is it WOT going full bore over a long haul duration with an aggressive tune.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Black_griffin6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Your tuner doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to the injectors to be totally blunt. That is one of the biggest problems out there especially with this car. People out there think that if you throw bigger injectors at the motor it "fixes" things. That is merely a band-aid fix when it is actually a fuel delivery related issue.

Like Scott said there is no reason for you to swap back to the stock injectors again, but definitely DO NOT waste your money on bigger injectors. I didn't start running out of fuel until my latest tune at 9.5psi of boost on my turbo with the modified FPR and that is it WOT going full bore over a long haul duration with an aggressive tune.
Unfortunately I did order some new injectors. I'm trying to refund them before they ship out.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Black_griffin6

Worst case scenario, would I be able to drive it if I bypass the AEM and drive it gently on the 1zz injectors? And stock ECM?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Worst case scenario, would I be able to drive it if I bypass the AEM and drive it gently on the 1zz injectors? And stock ECM?
Do you have a fixed or clutched pulley? If you are fixed, I would not risk it. You could get a shorter belt and bypass the S/C for now.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
Black_griffin6

Quote:
Do you have a fixed or clutched pulley? If you are fixed, I would not risk it. You could get a shorter belt and bypass the S/C for now.
Yeah, I do have a shorter belt, I'm not sure what size I need though.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Why super charger? Just for the sound? Wouldn't a small turbo absorb less horsepower in creating more power?

I haven't tuned or done anything other than maintenance on my '10 Yaris... But my fiero has a gtp 3.8L and I run lower boost on the turbo than the SC and I create way more safe power.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yeah, I do have a shorter belt, I'm not sure what size I need though.
The easiest thing is to pull of the existing belt and measure the size required. You can lay a piece of non-stretching rope over the path of the belt and then measure it. Make sure you go over the S/C tensioner pulley, as the alternator is now fixed.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #15
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswf View Post
Why super charger? Just for the sound? Wouldn't a small turbo absorb less horsepower in creating more power?

I haven't tuned or done anything other than maintenance on my '10 Yaris... But my fiero has a gtp 3.8L and I run lower boost on the turbo than the SC and I create way more safe power.

Supercharger is a lot more smooth, plus if you have an auto it's in boost all the time instead of falling in/out when the gears change.

Me and CrankyOldMan are using the same injectors. I run really rich at idle (you can smell fuel) but driving around its fine. I kept my old injectors, so once I get the truck running again it'll be time to tear into the yaris and put the F/IC in there I'm going to evaluate whether I need the larger ones or if I can drop back to the stock injectors.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
I second this idea. I ran lean at WOT even with the blitz controller on the factory injectors. I'd be afraid to run it on those without the blitz controller in place.

For the belt, I'd just go to a parts store and buy a few different belts somewhere 50 and 60 length. Try a few out until you find one that fits right and return the others.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #17
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Supercharger is a lot more smooth, plus if you have an auto it's in boost all the time instead of falling in/out when the gears change.

Me and CrankyOldMan are using the same injectors. I run really rich at idle (you can smell fuel) but driving around its fine. I kept my old injectors, so once I get the truck running again it'll be time to tear into the yaris and put the F/IC in there I'm going to evaluate whether I need the larger ones or if I can drop back to the stock injectors.
Sounds like a good enough reason to me.

chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:55 AM   #18
Black_griffin6

So I got it tuned and all set to go when it eats the serpentine belt.
In the process of putting the new belt on... The bolt on the tensioner gets stripped all to hell.
So it's now no longer working again.