Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Valero fuel in your area?

I just tried a tank of Valero 87 octane (100% gas) and it was a nickle less than the Shell gas (also 100% gas) I had been using and I think it's doing well on the MPG. Driving habits haven't changed and same two extra clicks at top-off...so far about 15 extra miles at every bar on the fuel gauge, and a new record at 1/2 tank; 311 miles before guage switches from 1/2 to 3/8 was the record...313 now and still reading 1/2 on the fuel gauge.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
tuckevalastin

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
There are 20 Valero stations within 20 miles of me and 2 refineries within 75 miles...

However I very rarely (I think never so far in the Yaris) use them.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
my opinion is when one tries something different and thinks might result in better mileage, it is easy to subconsciously drive in a more efficient manner, thus kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. i honestly dont think the shell vs valero 100% gas would make much of a difference. i could be wrong. i thought i was wrong once many years ago, but i was mistaken.

but, dude, seriously, if you want the best mileage and to add 40 hp to your yaris experience, find some 95 octane!!
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
my opinion is when one tries something different and thinks might result in better mileage, it is easy to subconsciously drive in a more efficient manner, thus kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. i honestly dont think the shell vs valero 100% gas would make much of a difference. i could be wrong. i thought i was wrong once many years ago, but i was mistaken.

but, dude, seriously, if you want the best mileage and to add 40 hp to your yaris experience, find some 95 octane!!
Be serious.

And sorry, you're wrong. No difference in driving habits, as stated before...STILL driving 70 mph in the 65 mph zone and 65 in the 60 zones, and I'd know if I'm doing extra coasting, and I'm not, still pulling away from stop signs quicker than others around me, etc...and the flaw is that I tried it because it was cheaper, didn't "think" mileage results might be better with the switch.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Valero Energy--a Fortune 500 company--is headquartered here in San Antonio, a few miles from where I live.

I often use their gas in my Yaris and Jeep and find I get better mileage out of it. If I am not mistake, Valero is unique in that unlike many other stations it only sells the gasoline they produce and doesn't buy gas from other companies as is common, so there is more consistency in their product.

Valero has 18 refineries throughout the US, Canada and the Caribbean with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 3.3 million barrels per day, making it the largest refiner in North America. It is also one of the nation's largest retail operators with more than 5,000 retail and branded wholesale outlets in the US, Canada and the Caribbean under various brand names, including Valero, Diamond Shamrock, Ultramar, Shamrock, Beacon and Total (under license from Total S.A., a French company that is big in Europe).

So, it's good gas and it may run better in your Yaris. I have also experienced that, with no difference in driving habits.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Valero Energy--a Fortune 500 company--is headquartered here in San Antonio, a few miles from where I live.

I often use their gas in my Yaris and Jeep and find I get better mileage out of it. If I am not mistake, Valero is unique in that unlike many other stations it only sells the gasoline they produce and doesn't buy gas from other companies as is common, so there is more consistency in their product.

Valero has 18 refineries throughout the US, Canada and the Caribbean with a combined throughput capacity of approximately 3.3 million barrels per day, making it the largest refiner in North America. It is also one of the nation's largest retail operators with more than 5,000 retail and branded wholesale outlets in the US, Canada and the Caribbean under various brand names, including Valero, Diamond Shamrock, Ultramar, Shamrock, Beacon and Total (under license from Total S.A., a French company that is big in Europe).

So, it's good gas and it may run better in your Yaris. I have also experienced that, with no difference in driving habits.

Cheers! M2
Good info. I think they're pretty new in my area and wanted to give them a try. I read on their site that they've grown into being the largest refiner in North America now, figured that had to be a good thing.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Be serious.

and the flaw is that I tried it because it was cheaper, didn't "think" mileage results might be better with the switch.
ah, somehow missed that you only got it cause it was cheaper. reading is a skill i must master. so, in this case, my theory is for sh*t.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
ah, somehow missed that you only got it cause it was cheaper. reading is a skill i must master. so, in this case, my theory is for sh*t.
It's a pretty good theory, it just didn't apply this time. I found a better and closer Valero location to try next time...the other one almost had an out of business look to it. I even had to look to see if bags were on the other nozzles because nobody was there buying gas, and doors were locked. I knew it wasn't one of those ghost stations because I could tell it was a fully stocked c-store on the inside. Odd.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

The gas in our area all comes out of the same pipeline terminal. Additives put in the tank truck doubtless vary. But if you watch the trucks arrive at the stations, they tend to be from the same fuel suppliers, pretty much regardless of the brand name on the station's sign.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I could be wrong, but when I use Valero gas for any length of time, my engines seem to act dirty. I tried if in my old chevy truck years ago, and run it on occasion in my Tacomas but haven't ever used it in the Yaris, BP or Citgo seem to give me good consistant results.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
I could be wrong, but when I use Valero gas for any length of time, my engines seem to act dirty. I tried if in my old chevy truck years ago, and run it on occasion in my Tacomas but haven't ever used it in the Yaris, BP or Citgo seem to give me good consistant results.
I'll soon find out. I plan on doing 3 tanks each with my two favs + the Valero: Valero, Shell & Sinclair

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
I'll soon find out. I plan on doing 3 tanks each with my two favs + the Valero: Valero, Shell & Sinclair
Well, to make sure the test is unbiased, make it a blind test. Cover the headlights before driving to the gas station for each tank of gas during the trial.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Valero is cheap trash. As bad or worse than arco.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
I avoid it whenever possible. Its the last station going out of town, the opps! I better put $5 in the tank station.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
1stToyota

Thumbs up

Seemed to do well so far: 42.5 mpg on that tank; 2nd highest so far this year...42.8 with Sinclair

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Valero is cheap trash. As bad or worse than arco.
For me, Phillips is my choice for the absolute garbage, and it's not cheap...every single time I've tried it my mileage instantly drops off 2 to 3 mpg, and then goes right back to normal when I use any thing other than the Phillips trash.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 06-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I had to fill up with Shell yesterday, and it almost seems like the car is lacking some power although it's been really windy down here in southcentral Texas so that may be a factor.

Personally, I like Chevron but find Valero runs well in all my vehicles, including my two motorcycles. In that it is usually on the cheaper side of the price scale (normally only WalMart/Murphy and HEB will beat it), I try to use it but yesterday I had driving on the rapid flashing bar for most of the day so I didn't want to run the tank dry.

Honestly, Sprocket seems to do better with cheaper costing gas (WalMart or Valero). But I am still miffed that the days of filling it up for under $20 are gone (I paid $2.45/gal yesterday, total cost was ~$28)
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Sinclair is still around?

I'm not sure about anyone else but here in Michigan, we have a few gas stations with the name "Firebird", they should be avoided like the plauge.

I don't think I've personally used Valero in my vehicle but used it all the time in my old jobs company van. Never really saw anything bad from the use of their gas.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote