Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
10peep

Drives: 2010 3D LB 5spd
A little story...

When I LEFT the house yesterday morning on my 75 mile one way commute, I had intended on filling up AT my destination (Im still in the new Yaris owner fuel averaging stage) . Well, when I GOT to my intended point of travel, THAT'S when I discovered that I had forgotten my wallet at home, AND my light was ALREADY fast flashing (>/=1.1 gal/gas as many of you already know)! So i went on to TKO my business anyways, unsure of how exactly, I was going to get home and on my way out, I discovered the $3 that my wife had so graciously donated to me the day after I had bought the car (a week ago). I motored over to the local 7-11 (gas station chain for the unfamiliar) and I trundled to the counter and shamefully handed over my meager capital and went back out and trickled in the BARELY 3/4 gallon of gas that my $3 had purchased. I looked at Peep (my car's nickname), gave it a kiss, said a little prayer and let him know that I was rolling the dice on this one and that he HAD to get us home. So...1.5 hours, some moderate hypermiling and a few traffic scares later (I imagine that out of my 1.5 hour commute, I spent 30 minutes of it in traffic ), Peep rolled up in the driveway. Less than 1.5 gallons, 75 miles (if my math is correct, =50mpg).....AMAZING!!! @ Peep! The thing is, when I finally made it back to the local arm and leg donor facility (gas station), my car only took 10.66 gal/gas. Now, I am fully aware that there exists NO such thing as an accurate fuel gage ANYWHERE on this planet but are these Yaris one's THAT far off?
10peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
10peep

???
Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
That's spam, ignore it. I've already reported it to the moderators.

As for your Yaris, the fuel gauge in it is far from accurate. Most people will get 75-100 miles out of their first bar, and then it'll drop like a brick during the last 1/4 of a tank.

You also cannot accurately calculate gas mileage with such a small amount. You're better off filling the tank at the same pump, resetting the odometer, and calculating how much fuel was used over the distance traveled once you've used up the tank.

And while my 08 LB allegedly has a 11. gallon tank, I've routinely exceeded putting in that amount of gas in it and have pumped in as much as 11.7 gallons!

So to answer your question, yes the fuel gauge is not accurate; but it's still a great car, isn't it?!?

Cheers! M2
Old 03-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Great job Peep !!! By the way. The response from southgoogol is spam. Hopefully the mods catch and delete the user.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
sickpuppy1

Wow MadMAx, you do like to press your luck dont you,LMAO
Old 03-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
And while my 08 LB allegedly has a 11. gallon tank, I've routinely exceeded putting in that amount of gas in it and have pumped in as much as 11.7 gallons!
I noticed that too with my tank, spec of 42 litres but I reckon it takes more. I must drain it completely and measure the diesel back in, then fill it to the top and see what figure it adds up to.
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
10peep

Quote:
That's spam, ignore it. I've already reported it to the moderators.

As for your Yaris, the fuel gauge in it is far from accurate. Most people will get 75-100 miles out of their first bar, and then it'll drop like a brick during the last 1/4 of a tank.

You also cannot accurately calculate gas mileage with such a small amount. You're better off filling the tank at the same pump, resetting the odometer, and calculating how much fuel was used over the distance traveled once you've used up the tank.

So to answer your question, yes the fuel gauge is not accurate; but it's still a great car, isn't it?!?

Cheers! M2
Yeah, thats how I NORMALLY fill up and measure my MPG but unfortunately these were unusual circumstances. And yes, its an absolutely fantastic car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Great job Peep !!! By the way. The response from southgoogol is spam. Hopefully the mods catch and delete the user.
Yeah, I figured. I reported him too. Thanks!!

Quote:
No kidding!!! 1/2 gallon+ OVER the specified fuel tank size...thats BALLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 746watts View Post
I noticed that too with my tank, spec of 42 litres but I reckon it takes more. I must drain it completely and measure the diesel back in, then fill it to the top and see what figure it adds up to.
Mmm...diesel. I wish I could say that I was draining the diesel out of mine. I would LOVE to have a diesel Peep. Actually while Im BS'ing, I was on the way to a dealership to buy a used diesel VW Golf and decided to stop at the 'Yota dealership to see if they had anything that piqued my interest. Man did I make the RIGHT decision! I HATE how the automotive and oil industries have banded together to keep light diesel's out of this country.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
MadMax

Quote:
Running out of gas isn't a life or death situation in most cases, so I do like to see how far I can "push it" sometimes!

Plus, it's a light car, therefore easy to push!

Honestly, there are gas stations all over the place here. I'd most likely be able to roll into one after a "flameout" if it were to happen (and it has happened with previous vehicles, more times than I care to admit! )

Cheers! M2
Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
sickpuppy1

I have a dead zone,so to speak. I live in a town just SW of Kansas City. So once I pass Olathe,KS its about 6 miles to my exit. And while I could use the exercise, I'll do it on my own terms, not because I had to trying to drain the tank. Call me boring, but I'm just that way,LOL
Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
10peep

Lol, @ both of you. Trust me, I much prefer proper planning to unplanned exercise and had I not forgotten my wallet, I would have DEFINITELY filled up. BUT......I do push the hell out of the limits as far as a low fuel warning goes on just about every vehicle I own!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
MadMax

Might help to put $10 cash in the little storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel. It's easily forgotten there until (hopefully) you'll remember it in such an emergency.

It's like the extra valet key I keep in my wallet, that has saved my ass on numerous occasions. That little secret was taught to my buy the guy I bought my first BMW from in Germany, and here almost 16 years later I still get one made for every car I drive!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
sickpuppy1

Yeah that little storage compartment is handy. I keep quarters for the carwash and an ink pen in it.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #13
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
I keep my tire pressure gauge in there.

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
10peep

THATS where I found the $3. I guess $3 just doesnt buy what it used to...
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #15
MadMax

Don't forget to throw a couple YarisWorld cards in there! I find it a useful place to keep them when I am out and about, and want to let someone know about this forum!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
10peep

Lol, sounds good. And where exactly do I find these YarisWorld cards?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Running out of gas isn't a life or death situation in most cases,
Yeah, like in the early days of fuel injection. Back then, if you ran out of gas to the point the injectors were dry, you had to take the car back to a mechanic and have the fuel system primed before the car would run again. That is why some early FI cars had a "limp home" mode when the fuel level dropped below a certain level. Now you can run out of gas, fill the tank, and drive away like nothing happened.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10peep View Post
Lol, sounds good. And where exactly do I find these YarisWorld cards?
There are a few threads on this forum about them, I simply made one myself...

(It's easier to read in real, I copied that over from a Word file which degrades the resolution).

Cheers! M2