Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
willisjm193
Yoshi 2.0

Drives: 2007 Manual Sedan
$15 Fog Lights DIY

Disclaimer!!! I have not tested this long term so do it at your own risk. Read entire thread before deciding to do this.

Materials required:
  • 2 bulbs ($5 each, I used halogen floodlight bulbs)
  • Waterproof/Heatsafe Silicone ($5)
  • 1 3/4" Hole Saw
  • Drill
  • Wire
  • Solder/Soldering Iron

Click here for photos

1) Remove the bumper and take off the panels where the foglights would be. Be careful not to break the clips holding these panels on; the bulbs will be mounted to this. There are instructions to remove the bumper somewhere else on this forum. Use the next steps for each of the panels.

2) Prepare the holesaw for use. Find the most centered location on the foglight panel and drill/cut the hole. Debur the edges if you want, I didn't because I wanted a rough surface for the silicone to adhere to.

3) Apply a bead of silicone to the lip on the bulb, then place the bulb into the hole you cut. Set it up on a level surface without letting the bulb get pushed out. Allow to dry for about 3 hours, or until it is not runny.

4) Once it is dry enough to touch, apply a generous bead of silicone to the backside of the panel. Again, set on a level surface and allow to dry for about 3 hours before touching again. Recommended cure time for the silicone is 24 hours. To be safe I would not drive with these installed until the silicone is fully cured.

5) Get the length of wire you need (based on preferred hook up) and solder the wires to the back of the bulbs. Put silicone over any bare metal where you soldered the wires to prevent any shorting.

6) When you are ready, install the foglight panels the same way you took them off.

**The wiring process I used may not be preferred by some. In this case, there are plenty of other ways to wire them.**

When I put my aftermarket headlights in, the connectors were heavily corroded so I soldered new ones on. This is where I soldered the wires for my foglights, this way I didn't need to cut any other wires.

Last edited by willisjm193; 08-25-2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
willisjm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
photos pls
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Hey, I've always pondered at the idea of doing this but with some Morimoto mini H1 projectors and a 3000k HID bulb kit. But the main obstacle was always those pesky pebbles that'll inevitably fly into the housing causing it to crack and break.

Would the projector retrofit work with a fog light kit?
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
willisjm193
Yoshi 2.0

Drives: 2007 Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by willygoodness View Post
photos pls
Link is now in first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
Hey, I've always pondered at the idea of doing this but with some Morimoto mini H1 projectors and a 3000k HID bulb kit. But the main obstacle was always those pesky pebbles that'll inevitably fly into the housing causing it to crack and break.

Would the projector retrofit work with a fog light kit?
If you are comfortable doing it, I don't see any issue. I figured if it doesn't work I can either buy replacement panels, or buy the kit. Like you said, the pebbles pose a threat. Haha. That's one reason I bought 5 dollar bulbs for now. If it works well, I may upgrade.
willisjm193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
willygoodness

Drives: 09 yaris hb
Ahh nice! I did the same thing on one of my previous cars.

They lasted ages but a problem is when water hits the glass/plastic cover at the front cos they can heat up while on
willygoodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
CueBall
Ruler of the free world

Drives: 09 Yaris 2D HB
Can the panels be removed without removing the bumper?
CueBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ You can get to them if you remove the plastic underpanel and/or fender liner pieces.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote